The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1999 C-Dory 24' TOMCAT for sale and Davit lift question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: 1999 C-Dory 24' TOMCAT for sale and Davit lift question Reply with quote

Bulldog has a 1999 C-Dory 24' TOMCAT on consignment. I plan to look at the boat soon. It was in South Carloina and went to Bulldog to improve sales but they have it for 4 months. The boat is listed at
http://snipurl.com/Tomcat_FL_99

Anyone care to offer comments on the boat, engines, etc....

I plan to purchase a home in Port Charlotte on the canal with Davit lifts which were overhauled 2 years with new motors, wiring, line. It has to spreader bars. Any comments on using a sling?

Thanks

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbor has a Tom Cat 24 on a lift and uses slings. A divit with spreader bars would be the same stress on the hull. I kept a 20 foot Grady White with a 225 hp outboard on a lift with slings for about 4 years, and no problems. I made sure that the aft strap was just foreward of the transom. My TC 255 is on a lift with four 14 foot 2 x 12's, and the aft end of the 2 x 12's are about 2 feet foreward of the transom--I have considered moving one of the 2 x 12's aft to the transom, but I don't see any evidence of deflection.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent... Go look at the boat. I noticed in one of the photos it was on "blocks" and I did not see any trim tabs....that are listed on the list of options. Interesting to put trim tabs on these hulls...?? The motors themselves really force the bow down....but... I guess, if badly overloaded on one side...you could flatten the ride with tabs. The real point is these may be old pictures....and not current pictures....with "real life character" marks on her. Not sure...but I think those are 2 stroke motors.. I'd find out the hours on them. This is a whole lot of boat, that is pretty towable...especially when compaired to the weight of the new TC255... which really takes a SERIOUS tow vehicle.

The real deal is if you like the TomCat...and want one that goes down the road on a trailer weighing less than 8,000 pounds, and can get about 28 knots on twin 90 motors at a very echonomical clip.... you need to go look at this boat. A new TC255 will push $110-$120K once all tricked out, and water ready for travel. So...for about 1/2 that.... you'll have another 60K to spend traveling..
longshort247

City/Region: Washington D.C.
State or Province: DC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't help commenting on the pricing.
I think (personal opinion) a more reasonable price comparison would be - $50K (TC 24 bare, not the TC 25.5 price) + $10 for factory options + $20K for engines (a little rich given they are 100's) + $5K for the trailer (if it is included) = $85K ~ 50% of that for a 7 year old boat is fair - $42.5K.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longshort: Well, I have to admit... I have no idea how much they want for this particular used TC24 hull. I did not call. But, I will mention to you like I mentioned to a banker one time using some of the same "GENERAL" percentage figures when I was looking for a PARTICULAR item.

My hunt was for a Toyota truck. One with automatic. One with the little extra extended cab. One with a V-6. I was looking to buy a new one cause I never had a new truck. $13,500 was the brand new sale price...in 1991. Every time I said I wanted each of the 3 items above... they added $1000 basically...so...my new truck went from $13.5 to about $16,000... I sat in my recliner that Saturday morning drinking coffee getting myself in that "You deserve it mode...".... before going to the dealer and dropping the $16K. Then...blow me down, if just in the next neighborhood, there was a 1989 Toy truck with the 3 items I wanted....never wrecked, 22,000 miles on it for $8500. Well my banker who had no problem sinking me in for $16K for a new about to be used truck that would depreciate about 20% the day I drove off the lot.... said his little yellow/blue/black books said the particular used truck was only worth about $7500.... I said FANTASTIC!!! Find it for me in as good as condition in this town and I'll give you $7750 for it and you treat your wife Jenny to a weekend in Birmingham at the Gallarea shopping mall wthe the $250... Well... he smilled, realizing that if Jenny went to the Galarea...it would cost HIM way more than $250...and that was a great deal and better "investment" for $8500 than a new one for $16,000... and....no way in Bama could he find anything close to this truck used. ....and an hour later, I brought him the title...and loved my used truck for another 187,000 miles...and still sold it for $6000...

So...all I am saying with your math....is you are 100% correct with MOST BOATS... I feel you will truly loose out on enjoying a lot of great times on a very nice hull if you attempt to find one using the NORMAL BOAT numbers... I had hull #54 that was built in 2003. Not sure how many more they built thru 2003-2005(ish) when they stopped building them, and started the big brother (with advantages and disadvantages alike over the original TomCat)...but.... IF.... IF... you are looking for a C-Dory TC24 used hull on the east coast... you are looking for a needle in a hay stack. Most of us who have sold, or have for sale our TC24s, can wait out for a buyer, making our investment in our TC24s a sound choice, and know not to put ourselves in a pinch over a boat...buy ordering a new one prior to selling the old. Now I found my needle with the used 89 Toyota. What a blessing that was. Get over the 50% stuff... if you want to enjoy a TC24. There simply is not that many of them around, and they bring their price...and are a great, roomy, wide open, economical hull to operate, AND...they hold their value. So... you might re-do your numbers, figuring what you could sell the used 2 stroke motors for, for what you could sell the used trailer for...and start there.

FINDING A USED TC24 on the east coast is the trick. Drive cross country to the west coast where the "population" of TC24s are (less than 100 ever built I think???)...and unless your treck cross country has always been a dream...you will for sure spend thousands in fuel alone. Go ahead and spend it on the boat and go get out having fun and enjoying life on the boat.

And... like James and his family on Molly Brown have enjoyed... go do the crossing. Hopefully, a gang of us will get a trip up Apr07 and go over together.

Happy Hunting!!

Byrdman
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for excellent comments !
Brent
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
Brent... Go look at the boat. I noticed in one of the photos it was on "blocks" and I did not see any trim tabs....that are listed on the list of options. Interesting to put trim tabs on these hulls...?? ...

They made a mistake on the listing. T/T was supposed to mean
power trim/tilt, and someone converted it to "trim tabs" when they entered
the data into the website.

Mike
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for update. I think the boat needs to be run for a couple of hours with fresh gas before checking the compression or perfroming leakdown test.

Very Happy I hope you buy it! and cure its TB.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.. surprised the boat is still there. Cool boat for sure. Maybe the boat shows in the next few months with only the TC255 available will help others realize the potential fun and opportunities this hull has to offer.

Thanks for clearing up the tilt vs trim tabs... That did make me go hummm. Simple cross up.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had a trailer, probably a different story..... I felt since it was a consignment sale, the dealer was just selling it "as is" but the salesman said many times to make an offer and a deposit and they would haul it to the river for a test drive and price dropped $10K in a month! I emailed and pm who I thought is the owner but no reply to date. It is spacious and room for our family of 4 and pets. Please keep updated us about engines, etc. and the trailer.
I cant believe it is still for sale. Maybe the experts are right and there are engine problems but one thing, it is not all used up. We will buy a CD one day.

Thumbs Up
mikeporterinmd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
If it had a trailer, probably a different story..... I felt since it was a consignment sale, the dealer was just selling it "as is" but the salesman said many times to make an offer and a deposit and they would haul it to the river for a test drive and price dropped $10K in a month! I emailed and pm who I thought is the owner but no reply to date. It is spacious and room for our family of 4 and pets. Please keep updated us about engines, etc. and the trailer.
I cant believe it is still for sale. Maybe the experts are right and there are engine problems but one thing, it is not all used up. We will buy a CD one day.

Thumbs Up

Trailer is possibly $4,600. That was a price quoted to me by the broker,
from a local place that builds the trailer. It looked decent enough,
AL I-Beam mains, galvanized double axels, one set of brakes. A TC-24
isn't real heavy. Also, AL diamond plate wheel covers - not plastic.

I have a request in on de-carbonizing the motors and doing a compression
check again. However, these are 4 stroke motors. 4 strokes don't usually
carbon up and stick their rings from idling. Owner hasn't decided if
he or she is going to pay for the work.

In the mean time, we're going for a ride on CD-22 this coming
Sunday! Since the boat won't be new, I will crawl into the berth
and make sure I fit and am comfy - after taking off my shoes.
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Miike

Are they planning to do compression and leak down tests?

I dont know about motors but would take the boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha does recommend "Ring Free" additative for 4 strokes as well as 2 strokes. Lots of fishermen recommend it for 4 strokes which are used at trolling or lower speeds and claim that it does decrease carbon problems.
mikeporterinmd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Thanks for the update, Miike

Are they planning to do compression and leak down tests?

I dont know about motors but would take the boat.

Presumably compression for sure. I asked for leakdown, too. Don't know
what the owner will pay for. We'll see soon enough.

As for the Yamaha recommended ring free; I was unaware of that. I have a few friends with Yamahas that they use for crabbing with no problems. But, most of us run trot lines, so you troll for 600-1200 feet, then zip back to the starting end and troll again. So, it's not exactly extended trolling.
wayberke

State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: I am the actual owner Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

I'm posting this in hopes of clearing up some murk. I own the Tomcat in question. I did try to sell it in Hilton Head but after giving away some very nice boat rides to people who were just here in vacation and not actually in a position to buy the boat I decided to let Bulldog sell the beauty. Oh, and then there were the late night calls from the west coast. Some reasons I chose Bulldog:

Bulldog is the factory rep for C-dory and I figured this would put people more at ease.

Bulldog is better located than I am in Hilton Head.

Bulldog has the time and interest in selling her, and keeping her in good shape until that time.

Bulldog could outfit her with a trailer should there be a need.

I wanted the boat out of the salt water and I also sold my dock here on the island.

Bulldog can loan money for the boat and the list goes on.

I did not buy the boat at an estate sale (I love that one), and have been responsible for running and maintaining her for the past several years. The boat is in fantastic condition and little used. We would run it up the river or into the near coastal waters with friends and family.

She is in fantastic condition, like new actually, and any problem there may be is only her need to be put in the big water and run - the actual home of this style of boat rather than blocks. All the canvas is perfect including a custom bimini which I had made just before she moved to Bulldog.

I don't check this site that often so I invite any actual questions to be put to Vivian at Bulldog - there is a link on this website.

Regards and thanks for your time and interest.

W. Wayne Arrants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: