View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Fishing Los Angeles, Long Beach & Santa Monica Bay Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats and former C-Dogs! I'm Keith on C-Pup located in Los Angeles, CA. I usually launch my 16 foot cruiser from Marina Del Rey on weekends before dawn to fish the Point Dume & Malibu area. C-Pup has radar which helps in the fog or dark. When too lazy to leave that early, I wake up later to make the short trip to just offshore LAX airport over The Pipe.

Usually I fish with plastics & Tady jigs over rock structure for callicos or troll around rock structure with a down rigger or drift with a bouncing ball for halibut. I have an 8-gal bait tank but I leave it dry for long trips such as the 14 mile jaunt to Malibu, then fill it when I arrive and make bait with my sabiki rod.

In good weather, I'll anchor overnight at Paradise Cove for a second shot at the next dawn bite.

If you're a C-Brat in Marina Del Rey and want to buddy boat sometime, let me know. I sometimes need a bigger boat than my 16 for all the fish I catch!

Keith
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith-

Nice to hear from you!

Sounds like good fishing!

However, I think i still prefer Sitka! Laughing

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

Do you know if Marina Del Ray has a crane for launching sailboats? I have a friend with a Santa Cruz 30 and he wants to find a good place to launch and put up the mast for a channel island trip.

Thanks,
Steve
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: bonita in Santa Monica bay Reply with quote

There's a lot of bonita in the bay off Los Angeles. Look for birds grouped tight sitting on the water, especially birds that are not of the same feather. They're not socializing together for cultural diversity. Sooner or later, the bonita will drive a bait ball up to boil on the surface and the birds have their dinner served to them. Somehow, they just know where to wait. Toss anything into the boil on light tackle and have a ball with a bull dog bonita. I throw the skinny but heavy megabait jigs. Also troll feather baraccuda jigs around the birds, even while in transit at a modest high speed to your ultimate destination. Bonita makes great sashimi. Cut the gills to bleed them soon after boating the fish. In the kitchen, grate fresh ginger over sliced bonita sashimi then dribble soy sause over it and eat with Japanese rice. Not a sashimi fan? My wife also breads them in a mix of tempura batter and curry power to make fried curry fish sticks. Yum! Save the heads, dark meat and guts for lobster bait. Great attractor for bugs. Keith , C-Pup16
ECHOE14

City/Region: south bay, los angeles!
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: NEEANDA
Photos: NEEANDA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Fishin and Buggin Reply with quote

Hello C-PUP,
I would to go out with you sometime or you can come with me ...I live in gardena and I go to the island when the bite is hot no prob.. My days off are thurs and fri I work days,but if it is a wfo c-bass bite I can always use a sickation day !! I usually launch @ san pedro, LB 2nd st, or redondo..... will have to hook up sometime....Cheer's Andy
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: buddy boat for Bay, Bugs, tight lines and bent rods Reply with quote

Wow Andy! You'd be a great buddy boat on the high seas! And given your lobster count, you probably throw a great lobster-fest Superbowl party too! Please invite me hoop netting on NeeAnda with you! I have a lot of tuna heads and guts for bait. I'll bring a harpoon and ax to dispatch those those monster bugs that from your photo, would swamp and eat C-Pup! Kimiko and I got a full October schedule but come November I'll be on the water every decent Saturday night for bugs, squid & WSB,.. either up at the BKR in Pt. Dume or at the Isthmus. Do you use the sling at Rendondo to launch NeeAnda? I have launched C-Pup there with it, but they don't open early enough for me. Also, the sling operator arrives (usually late) in the morning still stoned from his partying, so I usually launch from MDR.

Thanks for the invite. My work phone is 213-612-4121. Call between 10 and 5 M-F. I have an overwhelming job but depending on work flow, I can take off when the bite gets hot at the island.

Keith, C-Pup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: