The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Electrical Questions....Generator Related

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Electrical Questions....Generator Related Reply with quote

Looking thru the new Campers World catalog that just came in. Seeing a high efficiency 13,500 BTU Duo-Therm roof mount unit that only needs 10 amps.

Now to the questions: Here are the specs for the 2000i Honda genset...and my questions has to do with the 3 differant amp levels listed in the specs. Somebody school me up here please.. Idea Idea

Bottom line, will this gen set run this AC unit? I know I would not be able to run much if anything else with it...but.. would it run the AC unit??

Specifications:

Engine 3.5 HP, Single Cylinder, Overhead Cam, Air Cooled

Displacement 98.5 cc

AC Output 120V
2000W max.(16.7A)
1600W rated (13.3A)

Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
NEMA Plug Number:
5-20P

DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)

Starting System Recoil

Fuel Tank Capacity 1.1 gallons

Run Time on One Tankful 4 hrs. @ rated load
15 hrs. @ 1/4 load

Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"

Noise Level 59 dB @ rated load
53 dB @ 1/4 load

Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
capneo

City/Region: san juan capistrano
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the bottom line is "yes". "max amps" means peak (read "very brief") output. "rated" means what it can generate continuously - till the gas runs out, anyway : ) 10 amps (demand) is less than 13.3 amps (supply), hence, it should work fine.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading The Hull Truth and noticed a fellow running a 5000 btu AC with a 1000 watt gennie. Amazing. http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=110658&posts=7 I agree with Capneo, IF, 10 amps in continuous. Often a device requires considerably greater amperage on startup. I suggest you contact Duo-Therm and talk to a tech, not sales.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick-

The problem with AC units is that they usually require 2-3 times their running amperage on start-up.

Pete's right, you do need to contact the AC unit's manufacturer to find out the specific start up and running amperage, then compare them to your numbers for the generator.

Also, here's an address of a Honda 2000 owner's group that can also answer your question, since their entire scope is dealing with that generator, both in single and dual (parallel) hook-up aplications (and especially AC aplications):

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda_EU2000_Generators/

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave the specifics of Byrdman's questions to those with more electrical knowledge than I.

However, having been on this search for a while, I will second the remark that the starting load on these A/Cs is higher than the running load, though perhaps not 2-3 times as high- the newer A/Cs have a soft-start circuit that helps reduce the starting load some.

The Duotherm 13,500 unit appears to have a slightly lower amperage requirement than the marinized Coleman 13,500 unit, and the Honda 2000 may be able to handle it. However, there is a second consideration. Even if the Honda 2000 starts the A/C, the generator cannot then be switched to the econothrottle mode. It will have to run at "full" mode with a concomitant increase in noise and reduction in the number of hours a tank of gas will last.

Let me stress that I am no expert...this is just information that I have picked up on my travels down this road. If someone can demonstrate that a 13,500 BTU rooftop unit will run reliably with a Honda 2000, I will be a very happy man!

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always a conflict between engineering types and the real world re: specs. Test engineering (my post military background) is kind of the best of both worlds 'cause yer paid to rain on their parade.

Anecdotal evidence is mixed re: the Honda 2kw running a 13.5k btu generator, but it's all on the OLD A/C unit that spec'd out at 14.5 - 15 amps. Shocked Mine worked fine, but I had to be absolutely certain nothing else was on the circuit and, more importantly, I never ran it at altitudes over 2,000 ft or in eco throttle mode where most of the problems existed. Caviat; I had the soft start option.

I would certainly jump on a 10 amp version without hesitation if adding a permanent rooftop A/C on the Jenny B. Though the generator noise is higher if not in eco mode, fuel use is the same at 10 amps, since the energy required is the same. Heck, I'd even try starting and running in eco mode if soft start equipped. One hint: If the generator sits around for a while, it starts much easier in standard mode, then switch over to eco. Also, never start it with a load. Even a load of Alabama Byrd Poo. Wink

On the other hand, I already own the generator so the decision is far easier. Pat, get the A/C first, borrow a 2kw and wring it out before deciding. The weight issue is really important. Worse case, resale is really good on used 2kw Hondas. Try it with the idea of replacing it with the bigger unit if it causes too many problems. I really doubt it will....

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: