Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the idea was to keep it simple. 5000 BTU Zenith "Window Shaker" installed through the front window with AC insulation to seal and a Honda 1000 for power. About 5 minutes to set it up in the evening after we drop the hook and about the same to take it down in the morning. AC cost $99 from Home Depot and the generator was $400 from a Pawn shop. (1/2 price of new one) We also use the generator for the cabin heater in the winter. Very simple and relatively inexpensive. Pictures of the project in our album. Unit stores in a plastic box under the v berth during the day and the generator is tucked under the dinette when not in use.

tad
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last and best unit is a "De Longhi" portablle 9,000 BtU unit from Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Delonghi-12-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner/10980213?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440154185789

That is a link to Wal-Mart online for a 12,000 BtU unit which looks just like mine. Maybe I am remembering the BtU rating incorrectly.

Just Google "De Longhi Air Conditioners" and you should find some sources.

Store stocks are very seasonal and they usually go on sale toward the end of July and August.

I think you'll like it. I have an old 4 bedroom farmhouse without central heat or A/C and I use this type of unit in each bedroom for when company comes, but don't A/C them when no one is staying over.

As for the genset requirements, I can run my Honda i2000 genset on Economy mode when the temps are low to mid 80s here in KS and OK, but when the humidity and heat get higher, I have to let the genset go to max.

BUT these units really keep your boat fresh. If it's getting muggy when I come to open up the boat, I'll set the A/C unit on dehumidifier mode at the dock, and it will dry out every nook and cranny, leaving you with a sweet smelling, clean smelling boat!

I started out with the cheaper Haier units but they clogged up with water, needed draining (no 2nd air tube) and the one in the boat drowned itself out.

I need to add thatk, unlike the Haier units, the De Longhi units blow cold air out of the TOP of the unit and intake from the back and side so you can set the Co-Pilot/dinette seat forward or backward facing without changing the A/C installation ( a Bungie cord ). The unit pictured in Tom a Hawk's photo album is the first, Haier unit which blows cold air out the front side, preventing one from reversing the dinette seat.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Polar Cub 8300 works fine as a roof top AC unit. Dinghies can be put over it (but don't suggest running it when any obstruction to air flow). There are multiple reasons to use an Rv air conditioner--because of the problems of a water cooled one. (I have owned plenty of these on larger boats, and they do have a lot of draw backs). I can run the RV air conditioner all summer long with the boat on the trailer or lift--try that with a water cooled unit. You cannot run the water cooled unit where there are jelly fish in the water. You cannot run the water cooled unit when you are in shoal, muddy or weed bottoms.

For our 25 we used a 5000 BTU Walmart unit which we put in and out of the window when necessary. Worked fine,b ut cannot be used when under way. Advantage is that it works on a Honda EU1000i--the roof top requires EU 2000i.

I would not consider a water cooled AC unit on a boat like a C Dory. I even used an RV (15,000 BTU unit on the enclosed flying bridge of a trawler which had 36,000 BTU of built in water cooled AC units in the cabins. The roof air gave me zero problems. The water cooled units, had fish trapped, jelly fish trapped and weeds trapped in the strainers. A water pump burned up on the water cooled units. They required regular service--none required on the RV unit. The Army Corp of Engineers uses the RV type on their smaller boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I told you earlier (above) Bob had this AC thing figured out!

Only one more comment from me.............

For a less expensive approach to an AC solution that can also be very interesting.........

Try the wet t-shirt approach! Works great in dry climates, is cheap, and with the right First Mate, can be a whole lot of fun!

Joe. Laughing Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure how it could be any easier than to pop a 5000 btu window air unit into the center forward window. the unit is light weight, quite, requires little space, no cut out holes, stores well and is cheap. did i say cheap. $88. and if it breaks, pitch it and buy a new one. i have pictures in my album of the unit installed, for anyone wanting to take a look.
pat
SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input... I've made my mind up to go with the rooftop unit. Looking at the Penguin for the low profile.

What I like about this site is the almost instant response you can get to a question and the stored information you can scan for things like this.

The snow is finally going away here in Celina, the ice is melting on the lake, and it's almost time to drop the boats in the water... Can't wait!

www.GetAweigh.com
email: TheMarcums@GetAweigh.COM
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another opinion for what it's worth. I don't have any experience with boat AC's except for running my window mounted 5000BTU in the driveway. But from reading these posts I think I would prefer the marine water cooled units. The rooftop AC units are nice but require a LARGE hole to be cut that is very perminent. It also can't be used with a dingy rooftop mounted. Which is an inconvienience.

The window mounted unit is cheap and easy but it does take up a lot of room in the boat when stored. I don't know about you guys but when I'm on a long trip space is at a premium on my boat.

Because of these reasons I think the marine water cooled units seem like a good setup. They can be run without worrying about the rooftop mounted dingy. They can be tucked away in an area that is usually not used. On my boat I have unused space that is difficult to access behind my fridge and behind my draws under the sink. If I ever decide that I need a watermaker or AC this is where I plan to mount them. They are hard enough to get to so that the space isn't used but easy enough to acess that I could do required maintenance.

The major drawback to these water cooled units appears to be that they clog. I can tell you this. On my boat I have a thru transom water pickup that supplies my livewell and raw water on the boat. I have probably used my livewell for 20-30 whole days while on the water without it ever clogging once. Now this is using my boat off the California coast. I don't really have to worry about jellyfish or muddy lagoons. But there is a lot of kelp floating around.

This is just my opinion. Again I have no real world experience with these water cooled units. But to me they seem to make sense. They don't take up much room and for me at least I don't have to worry about the water supply.

Bill
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Window unit A/C Reply with quote

The center window A/C unit has been working great. I would suggest buying the better one for about $125. You can set the temp and assuming it can do it, it will achieve it. Helps prevent a cold boat at night. We strap ours to the fiberglass helm cover in the V when not in use. I cut some slots to pass the strap through. Some lost space, but not a lot. We store lots of towels or pillows or something on top of it, too.

The only drawback is the tray under the unit will sometimes fill up with water and leak. Not a big problem. I've drilled some extra holes, but still
SouthLake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ended up with the Carrier low profile rooftop unit with a heat strip. Mostly turn it on when connected to shore power and so far that's good because due to my lack of research, our Honda 2000 generator won't handle the A/C.

I love the Carrier though. It distributes the air nicely through the cabin, it's reasonably quiet, and I think it looks good. I wasn't too concerned about the hole in the roof. I've had standard marine A/C on my other boats and they worked fine but for this setup I preferred the hole to the air rather than one to the water. Should I ever decide to do away with the A/C I'll have a hatch put in it's place but I doubt I'll ever do that. We don't carry a dinghy but if we did we'd probably go with a small inflatable and only inflate it when anchored.

Jeff and Deb
the Get~Aweigh
2008 25 Cruiser
Celina, OH
http://www.MontezumaBay.com
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jeff,
sounds like you've given this considerable thought and came up with a very good decision. let us know when you post pictures.
pat
SouthLake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat... We put some photos in our album Get~Aweigh...
Celina, OH
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may check the last page of my album for pictures of a very inexpensive solution to the in-slip or anchored a/c use. This transom mount does provide cool air in the v-berth. It is a 5000 BTU Sears unit and a good solution for the occasional hot overnight comfort problem. The aluminum channels were purchased at a home store and attached to the unit with double stick foam tape. The filler panel was a styrofoam insulation sheet reinforced by more aluminum channel. I think that if this simple installation isn't comfortable enough for your use then maybe you would be happier with a larger more luxurious boat.

It's something in the water!
SouthLake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't think an air conditioning choice would force me back to a larger boat. Although we did love our two stateroom Searay with satelite TV, two A/C systems, and other "luxury" items. It was great for the kind of boating we loved which included 1000 mile cruises around the great lakes.

But Deb's MS has taken a toll and we decided a smaller boat docked behind the house on the lake we live on now would work best going forward.

Now I'm sure a window air conditioner strapped to the stern works quite well but it doesn't fit my needs. I'll try not to appear too ostentatious in future posts.

Celina, OH
Mike

City/Region: mount juliet
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Photos: GYPSY
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: a/cBrats, Reply with quote

Hey Brats!
Does anyone have a front, center opening window for a 1990 22 cruiser? Any suggestions as to where to get one? B & I don't want to sit around here in Mt. Juliet while there is cruising to do! With a open center window my A/C situation would be solved. Gypsy is for sale but she is still raring to go! Had a Carver 28' Voyager serveyed today...called off the servey before we even got to the sea trial. Too many issues with the neglect of critical items. Still lookin but we can do that underway! Thanks ahead of time for any input,
Mike & B in Tennessee

joeC

City/Region: sweeny, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2005
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: AC 22 CRUSIER Reply with quote

Guys
I have purchased a year ago a 2005Model 22 Cruiser. It's a nice boat with both a Wallas and a Polar Cub AC. We have been fishing in the Gulf . I am running a 2000 Honda which will run in Econo mode. Ac is is 9000Btu unit.
I will post pics soon of the mount very low and very stable made of Starboard but hard to build.
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: