Air Conditioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past month, the boat has been at a marina in Corpus Christi, TX in an uncovered slip.

To cool the boat at night while sleeping, I bought a relatively lightweight 5000 BTU Goldstar window A/C from Walmart for $107 (this one has a remote control- the height of luxury!). I attached the expandable "wings" that come with the unit.

The unit was placed in the cabin doorway on the floor, the wings expanded to make a good seal, and the door sunbrella canvas used to close up the space above the A/C unit. The windows were also covered with canvas. A fan placed in front of the unit blew air all over the cabin and into the berth.

Within 30 minutes, the cabin was comfortable. By morning, the temperature in the cabin was 72.6 degrees Celsius.

The unit did not fit the front window because of how the MFD display is located.

We used shore power, but the 2000 watt Honda also happily drives the A/C and my biggest fan simultaneously. I would not have the Honda running while I am alseep, though...

I believe that I have found a solution that works for me.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another A/C alternative...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Amcor-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-MF8000E/sem/rpsm/oid/169871/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Joan found this online at Circuit City. Less than 8 amp draw. Regular price was $279, she got it for $139. You have to pick it up in the store, and not all the stores carry it. I have no idea if it is a discontinued model or why it was marked down so low. When we went to the store, they had it on the shelf for $279 (regular $349). It rang up at $249; Joan had a manager look at it on the internet and got it for the $139 price. It also has a remote and a timer. Will take between 7 and 8 gallons of moisture out of the air in 24 hours. It says it will cool 300 square feet.

It is a free-standing unit and can be set up to exhaust out the window.

Now, if I can talk the Blonde into giving me some "time off for good behavior" so I can put Wild Blue back in the water for a few days, I'll run a real-world check on this thing. Cool

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok wrote:
Quote:
Within 30 minutes, the cabin was comfortable. By morning, the temperature in the cabin was 72.6 degrees Celsius.

Wowzers, that's 162.7 deg F...I believe you could safely BBQ meat with NO bacteria growth!!! Embarrased

Sorry, couldn't resist. The A/C unit and method sound pretty good!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Alok

City/Region: League City
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Texas is REALLY hot!

Alok
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok wrote:
Yup, Texas is REALLY hot!

Alok

It's not the 167º heat, it's the 348% humidity! Disgust
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is thank God we live in Alaska, the only nemesis on the water here iss bugs, and that only for a month or so.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
All I can say is thank God we live in Alaska, the only nemesis on the water here iss bugs, and that only for a month or so.

How 'bout that whole "freezing your butt off" and "months of very little daylight" nemesis? Wink Smile (That one is as close to "tongue in cheek" I can find... it's a joke. Not a cheap shot. Really. Texans are glad to have Alaska as part of the US. You have "Deadliest Catch", we have "Spring Break". Yes, I know: you could cut Alaska in two and make Texas the third largest state. Mr. Green )
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple way out of using "too small" A/C units in order to keep the starting amps low is to use one of the "roll around", portable A/C units that are on sale all over right now.

No blocked windows, no holes in the hull, walls or roof, no major installation woes, and easily rolled down the dock, these are the answer.

Also, they start slowly with rotary compressors so you can run a 9,000 to 11,000 Btu unit on a Honda 2000i at full bore in 100 degree weather for four hours on one tank of fuel.

You can set them on "dehumidify" while leaving the boat a dock for the day and come back to a spring fresh, crispy dry cabin.

The new ones are half the size of the older ones, some about the size of the small window units.

The new ones do not need a condensate drain in most cases.

On days in the 80's you can run them on the genset's economy mode.

I've used them for years.

John
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Have you tried a box fan? Reply with quote

We struggled with the concept of an airconditioner for our boat and have worked it out with a 20" box fan from Wal-Mart for $15.88. Low enough amp draw to use the inverter and, as long as we're on the water, it keeps us comfortable overnight to the point that we generally turn it off before morning. We set it directly in the entryway to our pilothouse and it blows right at the Vberth.

I know it sounds too simplistic, but even with the hot and humid Texas summer nights, we've never had occasion to revisit the air conditioner option again.

For what it's worth...
SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: A/C recommendations Reply with quote

So our new 25 Cruiser is getting rigged with electronics and I've talked with the people doing the work about A/C.

They've speced out a Cruise Air Vector Turbo 8000BTU marine air/ heat unit complete with dual zone ducting, digital display/ control, circulating pump, water intake/ outlet, seacock, sea strainer and all electrcial and plumbing hardware.

I lose cabinet space and get a hole in the bottom of the boat but these guys have always done high quality work for me in the past and have treated me fairly so I think this is a reasonable approach.

However, I looked on this site and saw a lot of discussion around roof top units, one in particular, the Penguin low profile, and considering a substantial difference in price and no holes go in the bottom of the boat, no interior space gets taken, etc. it seems attractive.

The question is what would it look like on my new baby and how well will it work, etc.

Does anyone have any photos they could share of rooftop units and any experience about the choice between rooftop or regular marine AC? If so, it would be very helpful as I make a decision.

Thanks for anything you might share...

Jeff

www.GetAweigh.com
email: TheMarcums@GetAweigh.COM
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first one I found, probably lots more.. Not exactly "low profile" but nice looking and effective, I'm sure.

I had a marine air unit for my TC255 but after looking at the installation and the space I'd lose (not to mention the hull holes), I returned it to West Marine. I was going to install it myself. Now, when it gets hot, and it does here, I just go faster!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you keep your boat in water or on a trailer most of the time? Personally, I like the traditional marine type unit, however, one disadvantage is the boat must be in the water for it to work.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway Bob did a great job mounting a roof air Coleman Polar Cub on the roof of his TC 255. I'll bet you saw the thread if you researched this throughly.

It doesn't get plastic bags and other stuff blocking the water intake, (as it has none), it doesn't use up cabinet space, it works when "boaterhoming" on dry land, it is much less difficult to install, It is much less expensive initially, and then later to service and replace, and it works just fine off of a 2000W generator or shore power. It's also much easier to route condensate water down off a roof mounted AC unit than to pump it up and out of the bottom of a boat!

The cons include loosing roof space that could be used for dinghy storage to the aAC unit, but careful planning would still allow a dinghy to be stored up there.

For me, at least, the choice would be obvious.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my second portable A/C unit which I set inside against the co-pilot's seat. The two hosed units, one for air in and another for air out, require no drainage tube for the cold coils. I can take it out for winter use and use it on the trailer while traveling. No holes anywhere = both hoses go thru the front bunk little porthole window. I believe it cost just under $400 for the one I have now.

My photo album shows the first unit I used which had only one tube, an exhaust air tube. This meant I had to run a drain hose for condensate back to the head or into a container which was periodically emptied.

The newer, dual hose unit evaporates condensate and blows it out the exhaust tube while bringing in fresh outside air over the coils. This way most of the cabin air stays the same and recirculates.

If you are not certain which way to go, I'd advise going a way that does no damage to the boat, is easy to install and un-install, easy to repair/replace, and easily reversible should you change your mind later.

You can always put a heavy, permanent, hole in the hull type unit in later.

The newer ones like my portable have slow start compressors so you don't need as large a genset to run them.

John

John
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

My local Pep Boys do not carry a/c units...nor does the Wal Mart...and yes, I live in the Mojave Desert!?

So, can you give me more details of the name, item #, etc of that second a/c unit you use so I can see if I can find it on-line?

Thanks,
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: