The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Broughtons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: The Broughtons Reply with quote

I've had conversations with several of you about a late summer/early fall trip to the Broughton Islands area at the north end of Vancouver Island this September. That time frame is less than 2 months away, so I'm bringing it back up.

We will be heading out Friday September lst for that area. We're thinking about taking the Washington State ferry out of Anacortes around 8:30 am and driving from Sidney to the top of the Island. That would put us into Port McNeil sometime on Saturday the 2nd. We'll be coming back on September 16th. Pat and Patty on Daydream are going to be there the week of the 10th to the 16th.

If anybody else is interested, just let us know. Our schedule will be loose, but we'll be somewhere in that vicinity for the entire two weeks. We liked the week we spent there last September, and we want to explore the area in a little more depth. Most of the cruisers and fishermen have left by that time, which is both a plus and a minus. There are still coho and shrimp to catch, and plenty of dock space and fuel. However, the locals are in an end of the season mood. You won't find food served or parties going on.

If anybody else can get there at that time, we'd love to see you.
Regards,
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle,
If your going in September make shure you have a good GPS and compass as the area gets a lot of fog then and can stay foggy for days.
You should not have to much company then and it is really nice up that way.
Richard
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam and I are interested Lyle. We had a great time last year in Desolation Sound. We'll talk it over and let you know within the week.

Tim
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,

Diana and I are taking Constant Craving and heading to Telegraph Cove at the exact same time. We could be talked into modifying that trip. Please contact me off line. sparsons@canby.com

Kind Regards,

Steve
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
I just got back from a month-long trip to Ucluelet and if I can get a few projects finished up I would love to do this cruise. Where did you leave your rig last year? I have launched several times at Alder Bay and was thinking the security for the truck and trailer might be good there? Did you do any crabbing last year?

Bess-C

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
It would be great to have you along. We enjoyed traveling with you guys last year at Desolation Sound.

We launched at Telegraph Cove last year, but didn't like it much. It is too tight and crowded. We plan to launch from Port McNeill this year. I haven't explored the parking options yet. I need to call the harbourmaster to discuss it before we go. I don't know anything about Alder Bay, where is it located?

We didn't crab last year, but I'm taking a couple of shrimp pots this year. We did catch some coho last year.

Tim and Pam from True Story and Steve and Diana from Constant Craving are also heading up at that time. Looks like it may turn into a gathering on some evenings.
Lyle
digger

C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Hey CAVU Reply with quote

How did you do fishing. We're leaving this weekend and will be spending a week at an oyster lease at Webster Island in Effingham inlet. Hope that you still left us some fish.........Where was you most success? Did you fish any on the inside? Thanks, Ron on Snoopy-C
CAVU

C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
Alder Bay is a nice campground just a few miles from Telegraph Cove. In fact you must have driven right by it to get to Telegraph Cove. I was there last about 3 years ago and it looked like he had lots of parking room above the campground. Had a little camp store, nice launch ramp and a small marina with about 20 spaces. Of course Port McNeil would have much better shopping for provisons prior to launch. I think Port McNeil is about 15 miles from Alder Bay.
Digger,
The fishing this year was pretty slow. We caught enough fish but never had the large concentrations we have seen the last few years. Most of the local guides speculate that the run is just late this year? At any rate, we caught very few coho and our efforts fishing inside yielded nothing. All our fish were caught offshore, with Big Bank being the most reliable for both hallies and salmon. The last few days we fished most of the big fish came from around the wreck and farther northwest at the starfish. As of the last day we fished, 6 Aug, no one was picking up anything in close. We finished the trip with only two hallies of note 47# and 31# and only one chinook over 30. The average size of hallies we saw was very small 10-15#. If the locals are right and the main run is very late this year you may be just right in your timing. Good Luck.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken: Sorry we didn't stop in and see you at Uclulet. We did stay at China Creek. Won't do that again. Felt like bait in the blue package. One day we did take a time out and run down the inlet intending to stop and see you. We found out that it always starts blowing up the inlet in late morning or noonish. On the day we came down it fogged in on the way down and by the time we got to the rocks where you choose the outside or inside path to Uclulet it was thick fog. I decided to not make the run into town but head over to Bamfield. I didn't want to run back up the inlet in the fog, and in the dark. It turned out to be a really good choice. Stopped at Effingham for the obligatory ling cod then on into Bamfield for dinner and back up the inlet. 30 miles of pounding. We had heard there were few fish on the west coast so we weren't feeling too bad about not getting out there to fish. There were a lot of sockeye at china creek but the canadian secrets to catching them are expensive. We did pull up camp and go to telegraph cove and get into some pretty good king fishing for local fish. The big ones hadn't shown up there yet either. One day we landed four and lost four. We did find a place to jig for shallow water halibut, like 60 to 120 feet but ran out of time so will save it for next time. Now we are waiting for the coho season to open up for the second time on the oregon coast. Rumor is it will be around sept. 1. Then the kings in the yaquina river the end of september. Glad to hear you did catch some fish. We talked to several people who had run out to the west coast and didn't bring anything back.
Bess-C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Port McNeill and found out about secure storage. There is a company called Sellars sp? Storage close to the marina. Their phone # is 250-956-4162. They will store both the vehicle and trailer. I think the prices are - $8.00 per day, $25.00 per week or $50.00 per month.

We'll probably need to go back to town in the middle of the trip for provisions, so I think we'd rather be in town than further out.
Lyle
Bess-C

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're leaving early Friday am for Vancouver Island, so I thought I'd bring this back to the top.

So far, Steve & Diana on Constant Craving, Tim & Pam on True Story and Ken on CAVU have said they're headed up over the weekend. Anybody else coming up? We'll be monitoring the usual channels 16 & 68. If you're in the area, give us a shout.
Lyle
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Running Late ---- Reply with quote

Hi Lyle,

I will call you on your cell tomorrow, but I think we are going to be running a couple of days behind you. Work (curse of the boating class) has interfered with our getting ready to go. It could be as late as Wednesday before we get in the watter, but i am hoping to be there sooner.

Regards,

Steve
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lyle!! Looks like yall are in for a good time. Wish I was there too. Happy travels.

Byrdman
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a GREAT time, guys! Wish we could go too...write home, there is wi-fi at Sullivan Bay (the ice cream is not too bad either!)

Bess-C wrote:
We're leaving early Friday am for Vancouver Island, so I thought I'd bring this back to the top.

So far, Steve & Diana on Constant Craving, Tim & Pam on True Story and Ken on CAVU have said they're headed up over the weekend. Anybody else coming up? We'll be monitoring the usual channels 16 & 68. If you're in the area, give us a shout.
Lyle

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broughtons evoke fond memories. Penny and I rate the area at the top of our list of places we visited on our trip this summer up the Inside Passage. Those memories were sharpened this week as I worked on our web site. Kwatsi and Echo Bay were our favorites. I hope you enjoy the area as much as we did.

If I remember correctly, it is about 15 miles from Sullivan to Echo Bay and about the same from Echo to Kwatsi. 22 foot boats can tie up free at the town dock in Echo Bay.

http://www.2wander.com/2wander/Inside%20Passage/Broughtons%20-%20Echo%20and%20Sullivan%20Bays/EchoSullivanMap.htm

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: