The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2003 25 Cruiser, $50,000 (New York City, NY)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Marketplace Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milehog wrote:

There is more going on here than meets the eye.

I checked the profiles of both, Milehog. It does get curiouser and curiouser. Both users are new and have made a total of 10 posts between them. ALL in this thread. onemorebythesea located in Port Townsend WA, Frequent Sea in New Jersey.

Anybody try calling Frequent Sea?

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
onemorebythesea

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: wow. Reply with quote

Heavy stuff, folks. Sorry that I don't troll your site all day long waiting for people to charge me with fraud. Some of us actually work. Wow.

I had friends and family interested in going in on the boat. We like the CD. I've shared many a dock in the San Juans and Gulf Islands with C-dories, and appreciate their lines. We like them so much that at the time it even sounded like a good idea to buy a boat in NY and ship it out west.

We had a survey done. If you don't believe me, fine. Go visit the boat. Whatever. If you want to spend countless hours hypothesizing about a boat you don't know or haven't spent money on by hiring a certified surveyor, fine. Knock yourselves out. I put up a wide shot of the boat. So did the owner. Our photos have a date. If you actually think someone is working that hard to post fake photos of a cracked transom just for the sake of creating a commotion, then perhaps you should go work for Homeland Security.

There's nothing "curious" about it. Of course I'm new on the site, and a new poster. Because I don't own a cdory yet. Is that so hard to figure out?

My motivation was simple. I was just pissed off that the nice shiny photos combined with the attitude of the seller, to me, misrepresented the state of the boat. I think that's both wrong and a little stupid. So I concluded that it was only fair to post some additional info about it, if for no other reason than to save someone else having high hopes for a nice boat and then having them dashed upon closer inspection. It seemed more relevant that some of the other posts that said something along the lines of
"what a deal", not having actually seen it.

We didn't like the look of the survey, and have walked away from it. As you may note in my earlier email, I gave an opinion. That was my [u]opinion[/u], that the boat appeared to have not been looked after. I too, was surprised, given that it is such a new boat. But so it is. If you think otherwise, fine.

Nothing is 'going on here'. Jesus Christ. A guy tries to help and gets run over. I'm not the bad guy here.
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! onemorebythesea take it easy. No one is accusing you of fraud. We're just trying to figure out what's going on. This is the internet, after all.
We appreciate the heads up on the boat's condition. It does help that you shared how you got this information.
You gotta see this from our vantage as well. This whole thing is kinda out of the blue, curious even.
If the boat seller dosen't speak up that will be telling.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oemorebythesea – first let me welcome you to the site. I am in your neighborhood and maybe we will cross paths sometime. If so I would hope we could be friends.

You will see that I had several comments on this thread about this boat. They were based on the information supplied by the seller and the photos available. Until such time as I have other information, I consider them accurate. If you would spend a little time reading the threads/post on this site, you will notice we are a close nit group and support all members.

Frequent Sea seamed honest and sincere with his post and I have no reason to doubt it. Anyone interested in the boat should look at it before buying it. Your first post came from nowhere with no other information other than the boat was not what we thought it may be. Had you provided more information, there would not be this controversy. We have had other new members try to create controversy and that was a possibility with your first post.

Thank you for staying with the thread and clearing up the question from your first couple of post. While the boat may not be for you, it may be for another member. Had I known what you found, I may not have said it was a super deal, but as I said, I can only go on the information I have before me.

Again thank you and welcome aboard.

________
Dave
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, unless that crack was caused by an accident (and from the rest of the hull it doesn't appear that way) it should still be covered under the 5 year hull warranty. Given the way these hulls are built, it's unlikely that water has spread very far but regardless, if it needs a transom repair due to damage not caused by operator error, a 2003 is still within warranty.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, the edit button is missing so I couldn't edit the above post. But I wanted to add...

I'm not sure if the warranty is tranferable but at the very least one could have the current owner get that repaired under warranty (again as long as the cause was not operator error).
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, there is no "edit" feature in the boats for sale forum. It was done purposely by the site managers. Forget the reason but it made sense when I first saw it.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand rejecting the boat based on what this person understands of the survey. But one also has to understand the survey business and boat building (and I realize we have at least one marine surveyor on the forum). Surveyors are not all equal. Some have more expertise in areas than others--"certification" there are several organizations which offer "certification"--or at least memebership.

Just the high "moisture meter readings" and the "crack" in the transom on this boat would not be a deal killer for me. The "crack" appears to be under the protective trim, and is where the hull and deck are joined. This may not be a structural issue--and the surveyor should attempt to determine this. The "high" moisture meter reading there does not resolve the issue.

I would like to see the owner's response--and also a response from the factory about warantee issue--I also believe that this should be repaired under warantee.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: wow. Reply with quote

onemorebythesea wrote:
There's nothing "curious" about it. Of course I'm new on the site, and a new poster. Because I don't own a cdory yet. Is that so hard to figure out?

My motivation was simple. I was just pissed off that the nice shiny photos combined with the attitude of the seller, to me, misrepresented the state of the boat.

Nothing is 'going on here'. Jesus Christ. A guy tries to help and gets run over. I'm not the bad guy here.

No, you're just a pissed off potential buyer who in retrospect clarified the original message with enough facts that the "red flags" became logical and consistent, causing me anyway, to believe you were both venting frustration and disclosing facts the seller was unwilling to do online.

Now that you've vented everything, take a deep breath, relax, and join us for a virtual beer. Beer Life is too short to keep yer skivvies bunched up like that. Mr. Green

Don (who hopes he spelled everything correctly because he can't edit)
Frequent Sea

City/Region: Jersey City/Hudson Harbor
State or Province: NJ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10:35 PM and I check up on the old c-brats site (thanks whomever sent the heads up e-mail) and there is quite the controversy. First, let me say thanks to all those who called for some evenheadedness about the whole situation. As is often the case the internet often serves as a forum for people to vent their frustrations. That said . . .

I have never indicated that the boat was a cherry or in excellent condition. She is not and I never told any interested buyers that she was. Fact is I am a first time boat owner who doesn't know how to do most of the maintenece issues myself. I did pay the service department to do regualar maintenence and as is the case in NJ gave the manager frequent presents in an effort to garner some of the attention from the giant yachts and such. I told them to look it over every year and anything that needed fixing to fix and send me the bill.

As far as me posting only a few post on the site I did only find it when I was looking for comps when I was interested in selling. I am sad that is the case since it seems like a well done message board with a good community of people. Perhaps if I had found it earlier then I would have been better prepared with maintenence and such.

Onemorebythesea is obviously purturbed. He made a gamble and spent money on a survey then decided that he didn't want to buy the boat. Can't really blame him. However, he gave me no indication about why or what the results of the survey were. I had never had a previous survey done so whatever it was that he said he found was as much a suprise to him as to me. I invite you to post the survey here and save some other fellow boat owners the same disapointment as you had.

I in no way want to mislead buyers. Of course you want to get the most from your boat when you sell it but I am more interested in giving a buyer a fair deal as I would want. I want to sell the boat (at least I think I still do she is a c-dory so of course I have second thoughts all the time) for a fair price. I recognized she is not a cherry and I thought the 15,000 difference in the comps I found would more than make up for it and sell well. If not, I am happy to take offers of less than asking price for what knowledgeable people consider a fair price.

If she doesn't sell well I guess there could be worse things than owning a c-dory! I'll put her away for a few years all shrink wrapped up and hope that I can again move back by the sea and enjoy her. Anyways, thanks again to all the people calling for a fair shot. Hope this suffices to answer the questions. If not, I will do my best to answer them here. Sorry, to onemorebythesea for your disapointment and hope everyone has a happy new year.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post - before you onsider shrink wrapping her for a few years - check with the dealer/factory to get the transom fixed. As I mentioned above, as long as th caus was not operator error, it should still be under warranty. Of you can get it fixed for free that would up the value,
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequent Sea wrote:
I invite you (onemorebythesea) to post the survey here and save some other fellow boat owners the same disapointment as you had.

I said it before and will repeat it. Frequent Sea seems to be honest and sincere. With his offer to onemorebythesea, it would appear that the ball is in onemorebythesea court. Seeing as onemorebythesea is the one that brought up defects in the boat, it is only fitting that he post the survey, or make it available to potential buyers.
________
Dave
pvaldez

City/Region: Lake Tapps
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Looking for a C Dory in NY Reply with quote

Can you send pictures to valdez4726@comcast.net?

Pam

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yall just trying to get me to drive to NY arn't you????

Naaa... Atlanta boat show next week, a 3 day trip down to the Gulf to look at and C-Trial another boat, then, a week up to Seattle to see my C-Dory Owning/C-Brat friends for fun...and festivitations and stuff.

But,,, Terry... if you are in NY and it is still warm... how about some other C-Dory owner input from one of use who are familar with these boats...and really looking forward to seeing you back out in Seattle....and your trip back down south.

Some of us have to work????? You mean everybody does not check this site 3 times a day....and comment on just about everything posted... Hummm.. Teeth CoolSmile Thumbs Up

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
LAURIE ANN

City/Region: Folly Beach
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: LAURIE ANN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: transom crack 25cd Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
For any of the rest of you having trouble finding the photos of this boat, they are on [url=]THIS[/url] page of the "Photos of Boats for Sale" that goes with the boat ads.

Photos 3-7 are from the boat owner, and photos 8-12 are from onemorebythesea.

Nice investigative work, onemorebythesea!

Joe.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Marketplace Reference All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: