View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Raytech Planner Reply with quote

(Breaking this off to a new thread with an appropriate Subject line - WAS "Navionics NavPlanner")

Not sure if you can transfer Navionics charts to your computer but you can access them in Raytech Planner with a proprietary CF card reader, which I will probably buy, and use them for route planning. However, the package comes with Navionics charts of the whole world sufficient for gross route planning built in, and can install any MapTech BSB format charts it finds on your hard drive, so you don't need the card reader for this to be useful. Anyone who has a Raymarine multifunction display like the C-80 will instantly know how to use the software - it looks and behaves like the Raymarine display, right down to the hardware buttons and soft keys. I am with Gary, this sure LOOKS like what the Navionics NavPlanner should have been but wasn't, and for free to boot. I am going to play with it a bit more before posting any more on it. I will save some routes to my CF card and transfer them to the C-80, but that is a couple of weeks out, since Daydream, my C-80 and my CF card are still in Alaska at the moment!

flapbreaker wrote:

Can you transfer the navionics charts into the Raytech planner ?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, took a while, but I have now fairly fully explored this puppy, and it is exactly what we had all hoped the Navionics Navplanner would be but wasn't - and it is free to boot! Anyone with a C80 or E80 should download this guy and pick up an inexpensive Compact Flash (CF) card pronto. I plotted our Matia cruise in about a minute (didn't really need to, but was testing), saved to a file and transferred to the C-80 on a CF card, I WISH I had had this for the Alaska cruise, it would have been perfect!

This is the full Raytech nav software, which when installed without a license key, operates in planning mode only. It lets you enter waypoints and routes with your mouse on a pretty good map, save them to a file (archive.fsh), which you then can import easily into your C80 / E80. This eliminates the last advantage that Garmin had over Raymarine, which was planning on a computer and easy transfer to the chartplotter. Actually, using the CF card is easier than physically connecting computer and chartplotter for data transfer - advantage Raymarine.

You can buy a proprietary CF reader to use your Navionics CF chart chips with Raytech Planner, but I discovered a couple of other things in using it since initial post. First, you can choose between built in Navionics or C-Map vector planning charts, and the C-Map charts are 1000% better - they really are good enough for all your route planning. Better yet, Raytech Planner will search your hard drive for your raster charts and install them, and you can choose vector or raster charts, or both, with a transparency slider on the raster charts - at 0% they are invisible and at 100% they completely obliterate the underlying vector chart. So you can overlay the raster chart a little or a lot for more info if you need to. Naturally there is chart quilting.

The software interface mimics the C80 / E80 chartplotter you already know - right down to the hardware buttons and soft buttons. It also adds a full Windows menu of course. It is really pretty easy to use. It suffers from the same quirky Raymarine illogic in grouping functions that the Raymarine chartplotter does (show/hide waypoints isn't under the waypoints menu, it is on the chart layer menu under the Raytech menu item, for example). But you already know this about your C80 / E80, and it is a fairly minor inconvenience once you learn where the heck the function you are looking for is hidden. The Help is more than adequate as well.

All in all, a big thumbs up, this is my new route planning software, since it is free it is on all my computers. Highly recommended.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:

You can buy a proprietary CF reader to use your Navionics CF chart chips with Raytech Planner, but I discovered a couple of other things in using it since initial post. First, you can choose between built in Navionics or C-Map vector planning charts, and the C-Map charts are 1000% better - they really are good enough for all your route planning.

Ok, help me here. What proprietary CF reader would I use for my Navionics chip? And do you mean to say that my Navionics maps are not good enough for rout planning Disgust kinda scarry since that's what I navigate with.

So if I get a CF reader for the Navionics I can then load the map to the computer for use in Raytech? Sorry I'm kinda slow with this stuff.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with the proprietary card reader you can use your Navionics chip with Raytech Planner on your computer. But the Raytech Planner comes with Navionics and C-Map vector charts built in, the Navionics vector chart built in to Raytech Planner is not very good (very gross level) but the C-Map built in vector chart is great (a lot more detail). Your Navionics charts on the CF cards that you insert in your C80 / E80 are of course better, but then you would need the proprietary card reader. Raymarine sells the necessary card reader, but I now think you don't really need it because the combination of the built in C-Map vector chart plus the raster charts (which you can get for free) are more than adequate for waypoint plotting / route planning. Here is the link to the NOAA Office of Coast Survey raster chart download site.

flapbreaker wrote:

Ok, help me here. What proprietary CF reader would I use for my Navionics chip? And do you mean to say that my Navionics maps are not good enough for rout planning Disgust kinda scarry since that's what I navigate with.

So if I get a CF reader for the Navionics I can then load the map to the computer for use in Raytech? Sorry I'm kinda slow with this stuff.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have early computer junque lying around, an old SanDisk CF card reader worked in my system as did an early Lowrance "Proprietary" CF card reader (which is, in fact, a Lowrance labeled Sandisk CF card reader.)

Good luck

Don
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I said you will "apparently" need the proprietary card reader...If anybody really knows, do you actually need a proprietary card reader? Is there some technology in the Navionics CF card with the chart data that prevents it from being read in an ordinary card reader, or more to the point, will damage the Navionics chart data if you try to read it in an ordinary card reader? I am just not willing to risk frying my expensive Navionics card by sticking it in an ordinary card reader without knowing for certain that it is OK to do this...

Sneaks wrote:
For those of you who have early computer junque lying around, an old SanDisk CF card reader worked in my system as did an early Lowrance "Proprietary" CF card reader (which is, in fact, a Lowrance labeled Sandisk CF card reader.)

Good luck

Don
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you really need to have the Navionics card reader. They use a proprietary OS on the cards that makes them unusable without their reader. While you can see the file you can't do anything with it. At least that is the case with my SD card for my Lowrance H20C. You also can't copy the file to a larger non Navionics card (I had hoped I could do this so I could add more maps to the single card and not have to change cards).
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with the software some tonight. Figured out how to get the correct chart to display. Why does the boat defualt to a position in florida? Not to mention that region has all the tide stations shown but none are shown on the west coast?
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more question. Is there any way to safely power on the c-80 in the house? It would be nice to be able to have it turned on right next to the computer.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom out (zoom in or out is Tab and Shift/Tab respectively), and click on your area of the world. The next time you start Raytech Planner, it will start up wherever you were when you last shut it down, although being in Florida is nice it is not necessarily useful for planning San Juan cruises! Check Help for "tides" to read the info - you have to set the region, I have mine set to US West Coast (duh), and it works great. Like any software, this takes a bit of playing with, and occasional reference to Help is also a good idea if you get stuck.

flapbreaker wrote:
I played with the software some tonight. Figured out how to get the correct chart to display. Why does the boat defualt to a position in florida? Not to mention that region has all the tide stations shown but none are shown on the west coast?
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of - advantage Garmin on that one. My old Garmin had a combo AC adapter - computer interface cable that simply plugged into the back of the chartplotter display. It does not seem anything comparable is available for the C80 / E80. Plus it looks like it would be a significant PITA to get the C80 display disconnected and off the boat, no?

flapbreaker wrote:
Oh, one more question. Is there any way to safely power on the c-80 in the house? It would be nice to be able to have it turned on right next to the computer.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Plus it looks like it would be a significant PITA to get the C80 display disconnected and off the boat, no?

Fairly easy to remove the display if it isn't built in. Lot harder to get it working remotely 'cause ya gotta remove the GPS puck and wiring if you want the display to look/feel authentic, plus you need a second power cable and either a battery or a good filtered 12 volt DC power supply. Nephew is correct. Significant PITA. Easier to park the boat/trailer next to the house and set your computer up on the boat temporarily (or use a laptop there.)

Advantage Laptop Mr. Green
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to buy another power cable. There any number of power supplies (Radio shack has them, or I use my Ham radio power supplies) which will provide good filtered 12 V Dc current.

I didn't down load the files--but I am a little surprised that C map charts are on it. Raymarine dumped C map several years ago, and who ever is producing the soft ware should be paying a royality to C map. Or is this for the older Raymarine units which could use C map?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know the details of Raymarine's relationship with C-Map, but the software package you can download from Raymarine is Raymarine software, and certainly does include both Navionics and C-Map vector charts...I flip and flop, but am probably going to buy the proprietary card reader so I can use my Navionics Gold CF cards, one covers from South Puget Sound pretty much all the way to Queen Charlotte Sound and the other one covers everything north of there that I could ever imagine needing...I do have a good 12 volt supply (being KD7OAC myself), but it just seems that saving from your computer to a CF card, carrying the card out to the boat, sticking it in the C80 and hitting "import" is a lot easier than physically moving the C80 around.

thataway wrote:

I didn't down load the files--but I am a little surprised that C map charts are on it. Raymarine dumped C map several years ago, and who ever is producing the soft ware should be paying a royality to C map. Or is this for the older Raymarine units which could use C map?
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my c-80 in the house and the boat at a storage facility so you can see why I would like to at least be able to power the unit on at home. But again it's probably not necessary. I do want to use my navionics maps from the chartplotter since it has all the bouys and so far it doesn't look like the one that comes with the raytech does but I'll keep fiddling with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: