View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: CD 25 cabin bilge pump Reply with quote

I am not sure about the new model of the 25, but the original design has what I figure to be potential for bad things. There is a step down into the cabin from the cockpit deck of about 10" or more, and only a 3/4" or so bulkhead rise at the bottom of the door opening. There is no means provided to evacuate the water should a bunch of it come in all at once.

Here's what I am pondering. I need to get an electric diaphragm pump to drain the shower, so why not get a big one that could be used to bail the cabin if it was ever needed? The pickup for shower pumps is attached to a hose, and if that hose was long enough to move the pickup from the shower compartment and onto the cabin floor, it would suck the water from either place.

The shower drain pumps I have found so far are rated for a maximum flow of 12 gpm, which is about 720 gph. Anybody know of a diaphragm pump with a rating of 1000 gph or more (that I could afford). Overkill for a shower drain, but better for an emergency cabin pump out. Or would a flexible impeller type pump be better suited for the two tasks?

So, what do you think? Do the new 25's have the same setup, or is there a way to get the water out of the cabin in a hurry if needed? It's not real likely to get flooded inside, with the self bailing deck, but if a pile of water comes over the stern, in can get deeper than the doorway bulkhead quicker than the deck drains can get rid of it. The older 25's have the outlets for the deck drains below the waterline, so unless the boat is underway, they drain pretty slow.

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

It'll cost you 3$ to find out what the new cd25 setup is. That's the price of the Cathlamet Ferry to come and visit me at my new place. I have my boat in the shop there and would be delighted if you wanted to take a look at it. We should be completely moved in to our new home by Jan 15th. I'm making daily trips down there now, moving stuff into the shop. Gimme a call on my cell phone, chances are I'm there or headed there. It's just 2 miles up the Elochoman Valley Rd from Cathlamet.

BTW. One of my neighbors down there works at the mill, says he knows you. Don Cauthren or Cothren?

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the invite.

You guys must be getting pretty excitied about the new house. The 15th is just a little ways off. Congrats!

Now go to the tow rig discussion and talk Dodges.
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Assuming you haven't already seen it, the newer 25's have a cabin bilge pump under the door step in addition to the shower sump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: