The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New to site and looking for recomendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spurs101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: New to site and looking for recomendations Reply with quote

Hi - I'm new to the site and spend most of my time on Lake Michigan. Current owner of center council set up for Great Lakes trolling. While casually browsing around for possible upgrade , I stumbled upon C-Dory and found this maybe what I'm looking for. I'm real interested on how she would take the Great Lakes water. For those Great Lakes people, you know the lakes can get quite nasty. The 19 Angler looks to be the most interesting to me.
Any comments on suitability and recommended set-ups for those that own a 19.
Thanks - and of course would be interested to communicate with anyone willing to part with a 19 Very Happy
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the looks of the 19 Angler too. Not sure which side of the lake you're on but Door County Boat Works may have a 19 Angler coming in if not in stock.

Quote:
DOOR COUNTY BOAT WORKS - Sister Bay, WI
1-800-859-4722
dcboat@charter.net

New 2004 C-DORYS in stock or arriving soon!

16' ANGLER - Green with Honda 40hp and galvanized trailer.

19' ANGLER - Green with motor options available.

22' CRUISER - Blue with equipment and motor options available.

22' CRUISER - Green with twin Honda 40hp, options, and dual axle galvanized trailer.

Call DOOR COUNTY BOAT WORKS @ 1-800-859-4722 for package pricing.

I drove 500 miles and thru 4 states to buy my 16 Cruiser there last May. The 19' is quite a bit bigger, but the 16 Cruiser and Angler both handle Lake Erie's rougher water.

The 19 Angler interior is different than that shown on the C-Dory website. I posted three photos starting here

Would be nice if the 19 Angler had the same cabin as the 16 Cruiser, would provide a lot more room.

-- Chuck
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would be nice if the 19 Angler had the same cabin as the 16 Cruiser

Wouldn't that make it a 19' Cruiser? Rolling Eyes
Although that wouldn't break my heart either. Wink

Hmmm... upgrade the 16' Angler to a 19' Cruiser... both a sleeping berth and enough room to fish... and still light enough to pull with the ol' Jeep.

I wonder what the missus would say?

Oh geeze- I think I just got the hairy eyeball from the other room... I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Shocked

Must... purge... idea... from... my... brain... Crook

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
spurs101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - Thanks for reply - on west side outside of Racine - relocated from upstate New York ten years ago and had a camp on Onterio just a mile west of the the Little Salmon - spent every free moment on the water out there. Prior to relocation lived on west side of Michigan and Racine was home port. Fished all the lakes except St Clair. If the 16 can take Eries chop and not getting pounded to death perhaps the 19 could fill the bill. My wife and I fish alot together (she's a better fisher(person)than most of the fisherman I've fished with). Don't need to be a rocket, but 10 to 12 miles off shore is not uncommon in August. I don't want to spend all day getting there and back. So what do you think. I prefer fishing space to "other space". How do I power and outfit. Very Happy Question
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19 Angler has the Vee-berth of the 22 Cruiser, but it's behind a semi solid bulkhead, rather than out in the open like the 16 Cruiser. Semi solid meaning a canvas flap, not a companionway door. The 16 Cruiser's lil' dinette is useful as a chart table and can seat two.

-- Chuck
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck S wrote:

The 19 Angler interior is different than that shown on the C-Dory website...

Yup...that was my 19, first one sold. They modified the interior a number of times since the first models.

One thing most folks don't realize - C-Dory is very flexible about interior options when you order new. Even though they typically deliver standard interior configurations to the dealer, if you have something custom in mind, they'll probably accomodate you.

Case in point - my retrofitted 19 interior, pic here. They installed a Wallas, and kept seating for three. And my 22 (recently delivered to EQ) was delivered with a non-standard interior to faciliate the front facing seat Les will be installing.

My suggestion - if you have something in mind, put together a sketch, and ask about it when ordering.

wilbe asea

City/Region: Kenai
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sunset Ride
Photos: Sunset Ride
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you have the time and money to order new from factory through your boat dealer, you should do so. I did, ordered the tall cabin, which for my six foot frame and tall friends that I have find it woderful that we do not have to worry about hitting our heads on the cabin, just on the door. Crook

I also added hydraulic steering, and after being in some rough water for a couple of hours sometimes, wonder how I would have held up without it.
jdoskoch

City/Region: Charlevoix, MI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also new here (first post). Do not own a C-D yet, but am thinking about a 22. I first admired the Dory living in Sitka, AK from 91 to 95. Have had contact with Door County dealer since I am across the big lake in Charlevoix, MI. I am wondering how much sleeping room there is in the 22 since we plan to occasionally overnight. We are a family of 4, 2 kids ages 5 and 9. Also, I'm a big fishing fan, and I'm also wanting to know if trolling is feasible/practical on twin 40 Hondas, the set up I'd prefer.

Thanks for any comments.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoskoch- With the exception of the much larger 25, the 22 Cruiser is the best family boat. It's larger dinette, larger galley, and larger enclosed cabin make it both wife and child friendly. You and your wife can both sleep up in the v-berth, and possibly sleep the two kids on the convertible berth made up from the dinette, if they can sleep at opposite ends with overlapping feet. Otherwise, one can sleep on the floor with an air matress which will sooner or later be necessary anyway.

As for the trolling with the twin 40's, most people troll with only one engine which brings the speed down to (I'm guessing here) about 1.5 mph. Any slower and you'll have to use a trolling plate or some other drag inducing system. A trolling plate can get you down to about 0.5 mph if necessary.

HTH. Good Luck! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
wilbe asea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have only had our boat for a year, a 22' cruiser, but have spent quite a few nights on it, wished we had got started years sooner. We have slept four before, which works ok if one is a seven year old granddaughter, a daughter of diminutive stature, and a normal sized wife. Those three took up the the v-berth while I slept on the galley berth. That was ok for overnight, but for trips that may be four or five days, as we sometimes take into Prince William Sound or Kachemak Bay, it could get quite close. Our water is quite cold, so extra insulation in the form of extra sleeping bags against the hull is a must, which helps to crowd the space.

I troll with twin forties, both down with only one running, get as slow as 2.1 knots. May have to go to a more powerful prop (less speed) to get slower, or a trolling plate.
jdoskoch

City/Region: Charlevoix, MI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at a 2001 CD 22 cruiser on a dealer's lot. This boat was purchased from a defunct dealer and has never had an owner, I am told. It does look like new. My questions are, has anything changed since 2001 when comparing to a 2004 model? Anyone recall what MSRP was for the boat in 2001? We are contemplating an offer.
The side windows
seem to be stuck closed.
Are they typically tempermental?

Thanks.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't address the fishing part, but sleeping is my specialty! The 22 can really only comfortably sleep 2 adults in the vee-birth (unless you are a REAL close family!) and one child in the cabin with the dinette folded down. However, with a camperback, a second child (or both children) could easily sleep in the cockpit with foam pads and sleeping bags. I have thought a few times about a folding cot that would fit cross-wise in the cockpit for our 12 year old. We are cruisers rather than fishermen, and the most enjoyable upgrade we have made has been the camperback, it just makes the whole boat a lot more roomy, that cabin got pretty cramped at night with three people aboard before adding the camperback...

The SIDE WINDOWS! Ah, yes, everyone's first encounter with them leaves a lasting impression! They are most likely not stuck! You press the window latch handle FORWARD first to disengage it, then press the lever down to to lift it free before you can slide the window back. Some family members still struggle with this, I am almost able to do it with one hand now most of the time!
jdoskoch wrote:
I am also new here (first post). Do not own a C-D yet, but am thinking about a 22. I first admired the Dory living in Sitka, AK from 91 to 95. Have had contact with Door County dealer since I am across the big lake in Charlevoix, MI. I am wondering how much sleeping room there is in the 22 since we plan to occasionally overnight. We are a family of 4, 2 kids ages 5 and 9. Also, I'm a big fishing fan, and I'm also wanting to know if trolling is feasible/practical on twin 40 Hondas, the set up I'd prefer.

Thanks for any comments.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoskoch wrote:
...has anything changed since 2001 when comparing to a 2004 model?

Seems C-Dory is always making minor tweaks, even between boats of the same model year. These are usually in the form of interior changes. The hull and cabin should be identical.

One issue with a boat of that vintage - that might be in the range where folks were having problems with the screws on the bow guard strip; there was a run of boats where they were installed incorrectly; the screw holes were drilled too deep, and water was making it into the bow.

It's not as bad as it sounds; the fix is simple. Just remove the screws and re-seal them. Some folks not near the factory mentioned C-Dory paid for this repair, although given the ease with which it is fixed, most folks opted to do it themselves.

As Pat mentioned, the sticking windows are "normal" - a could cleaning of the rails/guides and shot of silicone should get them working again fine.

In short - if you are getting a good discount, and like the configuration of the boat, I'd have no concerns with purchasing it.
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ditto the window thing. I wa frustrated as most have been until I learned to push a little forward,like closing it then pushing in on the pivot part then pulling it open.

As for value, and model changes. Don't think that they were big differences on the models. Values? I think that in tracking the hull price last couple years it goes up a little bit around $600-$800. Being a "new" boat sounds like it might be a pretty good deal.
Jim

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
wilbe asea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the window thing, be sure to push forward before pushing in on the catch, works lots better that way.

Another problem of water in the bow was the drain for the anchor rode locker would allow water into the locker when in seas of two or so feet or more. A poor seal between the locker and the hull would allow water to seep under the v-berth. When I spoke with the C-Dory folks about this, they sent me a brass tube and some caulk. I drilled out the hole to accept the tube and carefully applied the caulk. Took about twenty minutes, including rounding up all the tools, doing the work and putting away the tools. The factory would have done it or had the dealer do it, but I live 180 miles from the dealer and 2000 from Kent. WA. Other than that it has been a great experience having a C-Dory, a 22 footer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: