Garage door size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimOb

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Honu Kai
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Garage door size Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I have a garage bay that I might use for storage. Overall the area is 28'x30'. The boat space width is limited by a post to 10'. Ceiling height is 12'. The door is 9'x9'. Would a 22' cruiser on a trailer with swimstep fit in here?

At one time, I had a 16' cruiser. This was stuck in a garage with a 7'x7' door. Very tight squeeze, but with the low boy trailer Mark Toland set me up with, it fit like a glove.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on several factors - high vs. standard top 22, short/tall/no arch, RADAR, bunk vs. roller trailer, etc. It certainly could be under 10' - just depends how you rig it.

My previous 19, on a tandem bunk trailer, was a few inches under 10'. And that included a JRB RADAR on a power tower - pic here. The 19 and 22 (w/standard top) are the same height.

On edit: Duh. I missed your 9' door height, was thinking 10'. It will be very tight if it works - my guess is, your only chance would be a low bunk trailer (see post below) and a standard height top, with no arch/RADAR.

Last edited by Da Nag on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's another thread with much more info...including some actual measurements.

Oh...and I didn't address width. However, with a 9' width, you will be very tight with some trailers, but it should fit. Personally, I like the Pacific trailers, and they'll help quite a bit in your situation. Not only are the bunks significantly lower than a King trailer, but they are 8-10" narrower overall. I'm almost positive mine is under 100" wide, and a King is a little over 100".

You'll also save height going with a tandem trailer - typically, they use 14" tires as opposed to 15" on the single axle trailers.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
I don't know if it was you, but someone was viewing the pix of my shop and asked at the bottom of the pic what the door dimensions are. I posted the dimensions at the bottom of picture #49 in my album.

The depth of my shop is 34', which only gives me 4' of space behind the engines in the down position. (they protrude beyond the swim step)....the tongue is up to the front door.
The doors are one at 10'X10' and two are 10'X12'. I wish I had made the doors 12' wide instead of 10' as I only have about 6" of clearance on either side of the trailer wheels when passing through the opening.

C-Brat #16
TimOb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Drop Axle availability? Reply with quote

All, Thanks for info. I talked to Scott over at C-Dory (via email). I have a little dialog going back in forth with him right now. Eventually, I need to get over to the factory and take some measurements.

Does anybody know of a trailer manufacturer that makes a nice drop axle trailer that will work with a 22 cruiser? I've been looking online, but haven't found anything specific.

Thanks,
Tim
TimOb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Roadrunner trailer best bet? Reply with quote

Roadrunner advertises a drop axle and low ride height for all their trailers. See link here: http://www.roadrunnerltd.com/tandem.html. So, I'm wondering if anybody can comment on the height of their boats on one of these trailers. I figure if I can add no more than 28" or so, I'll be ok, altho if I wanted to add a radar someday, I might have to make some kind of adjustable or easily removeable mount, which I'm thinking would be doable. Not sure how much a King or EZ Loader adds. Maybe someone can comment...

Thanks, you are all very helpful.
Tim
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Roadrunner trailer best bet? Reply with quote

TimOb wrote:
Roadrunner advertises a drop axle and low ride height for all their trailers. See link here: http://www.roadrunnerltd.com/tandem.html. So, I'm wondering if anybody can comment on the height of their boats on one of these trailers. I figure if I can add no more than 28" or so, I'll be ok, altho if I wanted to add a radar someday, I might have to make some kind of adjustable or easily removeable mount, which I'm thinking would be doable. Not sure how much a King or EZ Loader adds. Maybe someone can comment...

Thanks, you are all very helpful.
Tim

The period after your link keeps the page from being displayed.
Use this one.

http://www.roadrunnerltd.com/tandem.html

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
TimOb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the tip. BTW, I was hoping to use that 4500 short model in the middle of the page.
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get a trailer with a folding(swing around )tongue that can give you a couple of feet shorter depth.
1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimOb - do a search on this site with "roadrunner trailer" in the search string and "Search for all terms" selected. Select "Post" in the "Display results as:" and you should come up with at least two member that have recently purchased the roadrunner trailer. You can send them a PM for their impressions of the trailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: