The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Are Suzuki 50 HP Motors Unusually Loud?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
Has anyone used a db meter to take a reading in the cabin of a 16' C-Dory. My guess is it's about 80-85 dbs at WOT and if thats right, see below for a scale and the expected result.
My goal would be to see a noise level of no more than 70dbs. Remember dbs is a log scale to the power of 10--although our ears are not running on the suggested intensity of the log scale-- we seem to adjust.

85 dbs
Upper limit for any comfort, which is limited. Ear muffs suggested for log exposure

1 meter from ringing alarm clock. Conversation is difficult. After a 1-hour exposure, thought is difficult and the stomach contracts.

Railroad carriage. Normal conversation not possible. Consensus of experts is that sound levels below 75 dBA "are unlikely to cause permanent hearing damage."

Small car at 30 mph; 3 meters from a vacuum cleaner.

Has any one done any more to work on the engine noise on the 16 cruiser? I took a short ride in one last week with the Suzuki engine.
db meter reading at cruise 95db. It was the same pointed at the motor as at the cabin. The fog was so bad that we had to stop the test ride so could not really do much than one quick test.

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<db meter reading at cruise 95db. It was the same pointed at the motor as at the cabin. The fog was so bad that we had to stop the test ride so could not really do much than one quick test.>

Was your engine a 2 or 4 stroke? 95 dbs is outrageous for a "pleasure" vessel. As a retired marine engineer I know what 95 dbs sounds like and I would not go in any engine-room over 85 dbs without ear muffs. And even with muffs I would not stay too long. Marine Engineers today stand their watch in sound control rooms with a walk around now and then on the engine platforms. WCB regs. would not allow 95dbs without ear defenders, and the time exposed at this level would be limited too.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a four stroke
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ruining my preception and reason to change to, as advertised, the quite 4 stroke engines. I'm getting the feeling that our 16' C-Dorys are a resonant drum that we sit inside of.
Now somebody come with an answer please
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt in my mind, they are a bit of a resonance chamber. In the open boats the sound dissipates better, but I doubt that the average four stroke will make that many decibels. I would be surprised at 85. My crews work along freeways and the only time those areas crack 80+ is when someone hits the airbrake nearby. I don't wear ear muffs or other protection, probably never will. Spend some time with a high powered rifle without protection and you won't have to worry about that intensity much anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: