View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Boat cooking... Reply with quote

I participate on several sailing forums and occasionally have something to contribute. Since we are still a month and a half out from picking up our CD-25, the only things I've been able to post about have to do with boating in general and plenty of questions. Today on one of the forums, a friend asked about recipes: what is easy and tasty to cook onboard?

I sure don't mean this to sound like an infomercial, but here's a new kitchen device that we think will be great on the boat... the GT Xpress 101 (sounds impressive, doesn't it?). Yes, electricity is necessary. It kinda reminds me of the old sandwich makers of a decade ago, except the wells are much deeper... and it does so much more. In the last few days, I have made several meals and desserts... and it was easy! And I am generally a lousy cook. Omlets, grilled turkey bacon melts, a breakfast biscuit/egg/bacon/cheese thing, blueberry muffins, chocolate cake, angel food cake. Clean up is easy; it takes up less storage space than a toaster; and after you put the stuff in it, you don't have to fuss with it.

I was thinking a microwave would be the most handy cooking item onboard, but this thing is changing my mind.

What are you C-Brats using to keep meals interesting while cruising?

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Cooking...

And the results...

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boat cooking... Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

What are you C-Brats using to keep meals interesting while cruising?

Fresh fish!

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

It looks like a fancy waffle iron! How does it do with angle food cake? I think getting backed goods is the hardest with out an oven. If you back a cake does it get brown on top?

Also what power is needed? Will a 1000w honda run it?

Thanks,
Steve
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a George Forman Grill, portable grill, and a $50 Sunbeam Mini Microwave on top of the water tank and break them out as need be. Have the Nordic plate of course, a Coleman Folding Camp Oven (works if you line it with foil), various pots and pans. The electrics work off the 1000 w generator. With the above I cook whatever strikes the mood.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim... and others. Well... if you are going to have a wallas or any other heat producer on board, I love those crazy "as seen on TV" Turbo Cookers. I have one of the original large ones and the jr... but...the jr is just too small....if you like to boil up or steam some shrimp. You can do it...but you have to make a few rounds due to the limited size of the Jr. I like the regular one. I never have baked with the release pan gizmo....but I am not much into baking... but for steaming, re-heats to keep moisture in the meats, and for 1st time cookings....it is a great device. Kleans up real nice and easy too with the wipe of a paper towel or two...which also saves water if you are down river.... The original is truly capable of "the whole meal in one dish stuff".... and I mean a nice size meal to feed at least 4 folks...

Also Jim....look down at the forums on this site. There are some great food stuffs hidden away down there.... and many are tried and true and requested after someone served them up at a gathering.

I was looking to get one of the LARGE Georg Forman electric grill things too....as to be able to cook out back when you really do not want to heat up the cabin... or steam up the windows... but then... if there are any other folks that have a better gizmo....let's hear it!!

Byrdman
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:
Jim,

It looks like a fancy waffle iron! How does it do with angle food cake? I think getting backed goods is the hardest with out an oven. If you back a cake does it get brown on top?

Also what power is needed? Will a 1000w honda run it?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes, it does kinda resemble a deep-dish version of a waffle iron, without the "tread". On one website when I researched this thing, they showed the "new improved" version that had removable plates (including a waffle insert), but it didn't appear as deep. I don't see that it would be as handy for "raising" items, like cake, muffins, or omlets.

The angle food cake was tasty, topped with strawberries and whipped cream. Some may read more into this, but the Blonde prefers angle food while I am more inclined towards chocolate devils food. Wink The neat part of this cooker is that we made both of those at the same time; a large single-serving of each. Joan divided the powder cake mix into sandwich bags (each takes 1/4 cup of mix), so it is easy to make one when the urge strikes. And, yes, the top cooks at the same time as the bottom.

Yesterday, I made omlets; three eggs total, a bit of milk, shook 'em up, and poured it evenly in the two wells. Joan likes ham and cheese, I prefer sausage, bacon and cheese. So easy, and they cooked at the same time. Wipe it out with a paper towel when you're done. I really think this thing is going to be very handy on the boat (especially for quick baked desserts Smile ).

I checked on the back of it, and it says 750w, so the Honda 1000 should handle it. Most dishes seem to take 6 to 10 minutes to cook.

Re-reading this, I sound like I know what I'm talking about. Other than grilling steaks, chops, and burgers, I am no cook. For the past 31 years, I have worked long hours and when it was "my night" to cook, I'd order pizza. A while back, I told Joan that when we retired I would try to do some of the cooking (house rule: if one cooks, the other cleans... and I've always been the dishwasher)... this thing makes the cooking rather dummy-proof. I look in the recipe book for the time-to-cook of something similar and just time it. So far, nothing has come out under or over cooked. I'm rather amazed.

While certainly not C-Dory specific, this cooking topic is important to anyone who spends more than just a few hours at a time on a boat. "What's for lunch" guides many of our adventures. We are looking foward to leisurely meals at anchor... instead of checking my watch to see when we have to be back for the next client (too many years of 20 minute lunch breaks, I guess).

What's (and howzit) cookin' on your boat?

Best wishes,
Jim B.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toastmaster makes a small, black, ugly little convection, radiant, and regular heat "turbo" oven that is a wonderful little tool. I have two of them. Trying to avoid too many fried foods, I missed the crunchy texture, but this little oven can make frozen okra crispy in five minutes and will cook one or two frozen KC strips just like a grill in 12 minutes.... I mean from block hard out of the freezer to cooked with a browned outside. You can put potato slices in and make your own crunchy potato chips. It cooks like one of those TV cookers with the large glass or plastic dome on it = from frozen to cooked in minutes. A pork tenderloin can be cooked directly from the freezer. You can choose how many minutes of "crisping", "browning", or "turbo" (oven bake w/ air). You can make bruscetta in 3-5 minutes, or heat up that frozen cheeze toast or texas toast in 5-6 minutes from frozen..... JOhn

Last edited by drjohn71a on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on "turbo" oven cooking - It sounds weird, but you can make a big batch of spaghetti and meatballs, then place in frozen sandwich sized bags, then dump out of bag and recook on the turbo oven. If you let it go long enough, the spaghetti actually gets crunchy, like chinese noodles, and it tastes wonderful..... "bird's nest" spaghetti! You can put frozen french fries or just sliced potatoes in and cook them crunchy with no grease. You can also cook those twin pack buttermilk biscuits in 6 minutes instead of 12 in the oven. John
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dynamite thread. Maybe it should be a regular forum topic. Here is my contribution. Jimmy Dean omelettes. 3-Cheese, Ham + Cheese, and my favorite, Western. 2 to a pack. Cellophane wrapped. Throw them into a melting ice-chest. They're waterproof. 3 minutes and done. Delicious! Paper plates and plastic utensils means no prep and no clean-up. Here's another. Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Easy BreakFAST Potatoes. Microwave ready in 4 minutes. You CAN have an excellent breakfeast on your boat with no muss and no fuss and in no time.

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pete, I agree on the Jimmy Dean Omelets. They are great with picante sauce or jelly or whatever. only 2 min. microwaving and very filling. Oops, I see you cook for 3 min. Prob varies with the oven power. I skipped breakfast today andnow, thanx to you I am starving! John
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sis-in-law sent me this omelette recipe.

Have guests write their name on a quart-size ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker. It's also good for when you just don't want to clean up an omelet skillet after breakfast!

Crack 2 eggs (lg or extra-lg) into the bag not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, olives, tomato, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag & shakes. Make sure to get the air out of the bag & zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags & the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit & coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process & a it's a great conversation.

End quote, and regards,

Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark S.,

I have heard of this before and they tell me it is terrific!!

Julie
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of all the badmouthing "Dinty Moore" ... I'm not a picky eater and like to throw-a-can on the old "Force 10" and not even have to cook when alone... if girlfriend (Pirate Deb) comes along; I get treated to gourmet cooking mostly. It all depends on the "cargo" taken! hehehe Xmas LOL Tux
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "Sweet Sue." Better chicken and dumplings. Swanson Chicken Ala King (not bad in and of itself) can be turned quickly into Chicken Parmesan by simply adding parmesan to it. Serve over practically anything (noodles, rice, crackers, toast, etc.).

The canned meals are great for giving a hot meal quick, when you're tied up with weather or other chores and need something warm to kill the cold.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually have a selection of boxed rice dishes aboard, along with cans of chicken, turkey and ham.

Prepare the rice dish and dress up with chopped onion, olive oil, Mrs. Dash, some dried mushrooms and a can of chicken, add some hot sauce and you're there. Chopped green pepper and other add-ons can really make a difference.

Another quick, easy dish is spaghetti tossed with melted margerine(or olive oil) that has dried mushrooms, dried onions, fresh ground pepper and garlic added.

Another favorite: canned smoked clams or oysters on crackers with mozzarella or gouda cheese, both of which keep very well. Add a good bottle of wine and watch the sun go down.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: