The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on not being able to tow a CD25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willhave1day

City/Region: Mountlake Terrace, WA
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on not being able to tow a CD25 Reply with quote

6 month after the boat show we are still set on getting a CD25. We went into the boat show thinking a 22 but the creature comforts of the 25 and the increased security feeling we got standing in it at the SBS made us change our minds. At the factory party Bill (? I'm horrible with names) talked to us about the 2-foot-itus he and his wife got and traded up to a 25 soon after getting their 22. They made lots of sense and use their boat just like we would (not big fisher-people). Along with the many discussions we have had about "what's another few dollars, lets buy what we want the first time" we're set on a 25.

But we can't tow it, so we'd have to buy a 4th vehicle to park somewhere and there is no more room in our driveway for a vehicle that won't be used that much, let alone a boat on top of that. We *could* tow a 22 with our 05 4.0L 4x4 Ranger no problem. But we still can't keep the boat here anyway, and we would only be biding time to get a 25.

So now I'm looking at mooring at the Everett marina. Their prices and availability seem reasonable. I had grand ideas that I could launch the 25 with the Ranger, just not get on the street towing it but I've woken up to the damage to the receiver hitch and transmission that may cause. The only option I see is to store it in the water, and I'm not a big fan of having to deal with bottom paint. We don't really see ourselves towing the boat to a lake even if we could. Puget sound is a plenty big playground, we think.

So what are your thoughts on this?
Will the marina let us install a lift, or one of those airbag deals? Should I purchase a trailer if I go this route? Can I store the trailer at the marina?
Can I store it on a trailer at the marina and have them launch it for us?
What do you do if you arrive when they are closed?
The sticking issue of getting a 25 right now is where to keep once we get it.

Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on not being able to tow a CD25 Reply with quote

Better buddy up with someone that has a bigger truck.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of your questions can only be answered by the marina. Some marina's have storage for trailers at an additional cost. Most are not setup to launch them for you.

I have no idea if you live anywhere near Sundance Yachts in Seattle but they do have a "dry" storage facility where they store your boat indoors on a rack. You call them one hour prior to using the boat and they put it in the water for you. I use the one down here in Portland and it is nice not to have to trailer the boat every time I want to use it. Only if I want to go to the coast do I have them put it on the trailer. Anyway it might be an option for you if by chance you live near them. http://www.sundanceyachts.com/newsite/mooragepage.html

EDIT:
I mapped out "mountain lake terrace" and it looks like your only 14 miles from sundance yachts so they might just be your ticket.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The storage that Flapbreaker suggested is called "dry stack storage". We live in eastern Washington and keep our 25 in the Twin Bridges dry stack storage in Anacortes.

It sounds like the Sundance Yachts storage may be the solution to your problem. They will store your boat inside and launch it for you with an hour's notice. Because it is stored on a rack in a warehouse, you don't need a trailer if you're satisfied with boating in just Puget Sound. It's a little more expensive than wet moorage, but I believe over time the reduced maintenance will more than make up for the increase in monthly storage.

I think that launching and retrieving a 25' C-Dory is the most stressful part of owning the boat. I now do it only when we're headed out of the area. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much this will reduce the stress and maintenance of owning your boat.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justs for another point of view, launching and retrieving my CD-25 is about the same as my 19' aluminum Starcraft (boat #13). I tow with an '03 Expedition, stock 4x4, works beautifully. Launching is pretty much effortless, just back down till the stern touches the water, remove the bow cable, back down some more and tap the brakes. If I'm alone I first tie off the bow and stern mooring lines to dock cleats further down (20' lines).

Retrieving I back the trailer down till my vehicle rear wheels are touching the water but not up to the brakes, pull up the boat from the dock (or motor up), then easy winch the last foot or two -- I have a bunk type trailer. Pull out slowly to allow boat to center itself, the low low 4x4 1st gear really helps here. Retrieval typically takes me 2 minutes, but we have nice medium-steep ramps here in So Cal. My Expedition w/5.4L gets about 18-19 on the road non-towing. Good all-around vehicle.

Oh, one more thing. Pacific elected to put my boat on a 27' trailer rather than a 25. Great decision, tongue 2 ft longer which keeps my tow vehicle dry, brakes and suspension are for an 11,000 lb rig (my combo weighs in at 7,400 lbs, boat only about 5,300 full fuel and gear). Good luck with your decision.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some marinas allow lift type devices. Others allow "pool" systems. After some time with the Armorhull "chlorined pool" I can only say that I love the fact that we don't have to paint the bottom or get divers to wipe our C-22 off on a monthly basis. Many marinas in our area do not allow them simply because owners have a tendency to abandon the device when they leave the marina for good and the marina gets stuck with getting rid of it.

On the other hand, the Armorhull does require maintenance. Once a year one should get a diver to pressure wash the bottom. $100 here in San Diego. Chlorine tabs will cost you about $160/year, so the total cost is roughly $22/mo.

The AirLift system costs a few hundred more initially, but it does not require chlorine tabs. It will also require a pressure wash occasionally, though it is much easier for the owner to assemble and install than any of the "pool" versions. I have an idea it's also a little easier for the owner to do the maintenance.

On the other hand, it's not at all convenient to board the boat while it's in the "lifted" mode. I find that a major inconvenience. My marina has several Armorhull systems and one Airlift system in place.

If I had it to do over again I would probably stick with a pool type system, but there are much cheaper versions available

Don
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launching really isn't the stressful part but the dog and pony show of a busy boat ramp is. That part I hate.

I found that the dry storage wasn't any more expensive than the wet moorage if I signed an 18 month lease. Plus you can safely leave some stuff inside your boat that you wouldn't otherwise leave for fear of theft. I still take my c-80 out but leave the vhf and lots of stuff in the cabinets.
willhave1day

City/Region: Mountlake Terrace, WA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the launching, I'm not worried about that. We simply don't have a need for a(nother) huge truck. My wife doesn't want to drive anything larger than the Ranger we just bought so I can't trade it up, and that would also be costly as I used my one Ford Employee A-plan discount my brother was willing to share. As it is she walks to work and I only live 10 miles from my job. I just can't see getting another vehicle when I don't have a place to park the boat anyway.

I haven't called the marina yet, I was hoping someone may know the particulars about Everett marina. I do know they have a nice launch ramp from what others have told me. My past experience with marina "help" hasn't been great. Why not ask the nice guys? Teeth

Now the lift, they offer that service in Edmonds; in fact I met someone at the factory who's boat that is I see on the rack when going to the dog park. But it's still outside and exposed, tied down to their hours, and I can't get to it to tinker unless they bring it down. I like tinkering, and I know I will want to sit in it for hours just because when I first get it.

So I guess I have the bottom cleaned what, every month?? Cry if the marina isn't keen to me putting stuff in the slip?
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The racks down here are in a heated building plus they will put it on a work station if you want to tinker. Heck just have them put it in the water if you want to tinker.

Anyway if you go the way of the slip maybe you should look into one of these http://www.armoredhull.com/ Not sure if they work though.
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we have been following similar tracks. We also decided to go for a CD25 during the SBS and are scheduled to pick ours up from EQ Marine on August 1.

I wrestled with towing issues as well. My Toyota Tundra would be marginal at best plus I have no good place to store the boat in my driveway anyway. I finally decided on dry storage based on worries about wear and tear and corrosion over the long term, and looked closely at Dagmars Marina (Everett) and Edmonds. Boths have lots of dry storage. Pros and cons exist for both, however Edmonds by far worked out the best for me (Dagmars offers pretty cheap trailer storage; significantly higher at Edmonds. You can go online and find out most of the detailed information of both marinas, however I think you would find a couple of quick trips would answer all your questions). The 'tied to their hours' doesn't seem to me to be a problem. They put boats in the water the night before for early risers and late arrivals get pulled out the next morning. Of course you would have to go back later for cleaning.

As far as tinkering, Dagmars store most of their boats on the ground and each spot has power and water available. At Edmonds you call ahead an they put your boat on a low cleaning rack. If it's late on Sunday during the summer it's probably not appropriate to spend hours tinkering on the boat, however when it's not a busy period I'm told you can do pretty much do whatever you want.

Since my wife and I are 'saltwater only people', and Edmonds is a great centralized location for cruising, fishing and diving we opted to pass on buying a trailer. Makes the bottom line a little more palatable as well.

Vacancies can be a problem at Edmonds (not at Dagmars) during the summer months so we locked in our spot a couple of months early. Oh well...

Good luck!

Chris Brown

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
C-Gypsy

City/Region: Oriental
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: C-Gypsy
Photos: C-Gypsy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick question because I am always looking to learn from those more experienced than myself.

What are the caveats of bottom paint? I have been sailing for years and have owned more vessels than I care to mention.

In March of this year I purchased a new C-Dory 22 Cruiser and already had her bottom painted.

Other than having the paint renewed every two years, what are the drawbacks?

I think I already understand about ablative and non-ablative paint and the differences thereof.

Al
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several friends from work who keep there boats at dagmars and they just love it.. two 38ft bayliner and one 32. you just call when you leave work and its in the water before you get there. Same coming back in. I do know that the new extention of the everret marine will have a dry stack area just like edmonds so you may want to see how much that is.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been stepping and unstepping masts for years on our sailboats; we, also, bought a CD-25 at the Seattle Boat Show. One of the main reasons for picking this particular boat IS that fact that it is trailerable. Of course, I am a firm believer in "different strokes...", but there is nothing difficult about launching or retrieving most trailerable boats (shucks, they're made for that)... and then you can have water-based adventures that you can take anywhere there is water!

I read about the adventures of C-Brats from the Keys to the San Juans, Alaska to the Sea of Cortez, the New York canals to Lake Powell... and we want to do it ALL! Smile The trailering makes this possible.

Bottom paint is no big deal; pick one (like CSC Extra) that keeps its ablative and critter-kicking abilities even when trailered. Touch it up once a year or so (you can do that on the trailer for much less than a yard will charge you). If you keep the boat on the trailer when you are not out, you won't likely need bottom paint.

And trailering, launching and retrieving are skills you develop, just like anchoring. Dry storage (while not as convenient as keeping the boat in a slip) is less expensive than a slip.

We have a dock at our house, but I can't wait to get that sweet boat up on the trailer and haul her all over. There is SO MUCH great water to be explored all over this country (and Mexico... and the Bahamas... and Canada). Mr. Green

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Bess-C, we too keep our boat at Twin Bridges. They do a great job and it's wonderful to dry store our boat in a clean, well-maintained facility so close the San Juans. At times I have struggled with the fact that Twin Bridges is about 80 miles north of Seattle where we live and have looked into a dry storage facility in the Everett area. There in fact will be a new facility opening in the spring of 2007. Here's the link: Bayside Marine They're taking deposits now but the pricing is a little higher than Twin Bridges so I don't know if we'll be making the move. This might be a good choice for you, willhave1day.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will 'third' the Twin Bridges approval.

We have kept the boat there a month now and its nice to get your boat delivered to the water, dry and with fenders and dock lines rigged. I can leave the windows and hatch open a little to dry out the interior.

The boat equipment is pretty safe when the boat is ten or twenty feet up on a rack, in a locked and patrolled building.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: