View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting Mike but I'm wondering how you found that Arima thing talking about us C-Dory folks. You bin taking trips to their site instead of going to work or what?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no, Tim. I go to work all the time.

I signed onto the Arima site a year or so ago to ask or reply to something. They're a good bunch of folks, and they do a lot of Honda talking there.

Hey - I got your email, and thanks. I am going to call Scan, too, and if it works out that they can get my stove done in time for the SBS pickup, then I'll ship it right to 'em and try to con you into getting it for me.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One fella, said the following about C-Dory...."I can't find much positive about them even on their boat owners group site".

I sure don't know how he came up with that conclusion from reading on any C-D Boat Owner's Group site.

Interesting comments....nice to see one fella with a C-Dory defend us.

C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
A lot of the folks that have C-Dorys are the same people who were looking at Arimas. I have talked to a lot of them and they all said the same thing, " I looked at Arimas before I saw the C-Dory and then bought the C-Dory". I have been reading the post from the Arima forum much longer than any of the others and almost bought one but found my 14 footer first. I never thought I would find a used C-Dory and at the time did not want to spend the cash a new one would have set me back. Boy am I happy that I found the C-Dory and all YOU nice folks first.
Lyle-t

City/Region: Hillsboro
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings this is Calvin!

I'm the same Calvin from the Arima group. I currently own an Arima but I'm looking at getting a bigger Arima or C-Dory. I like both boats. I asked about C-Dorys on the Arima site since I know there are many knowledgeable people on that site. I did not know about this site until today. This was not the site I was refering to in my quote. I had found some site which was called some kind of C-Dory group site and it talked about problems mainly. Several people were talking about how they had to put wieght up front on their boat for it to perform properly and others talked about the rocking. I was also concerned when I read C-Dory uses "balsa wood" in their boat construction. I'm not sure what that means, they said it had something to do with adding to the "stiffness". There were a few good stories written also, which I failed to mention. I guess I was just disapointed with what I read since I had been excited about C-Dorys. Either way my remarks were a generalization and and I appoligize for that. I would like to know anything I could learn about this subject.

Thanks for any feedback!

Calvin
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin --

Welcome aboard!

First a quick story: I've never, ever seen a C-Dory in any size, shape, or color, other than mine. I bought it new sight, unseen from a dealer four states and 500 miles away from me based purely on it's reputation on this and the C-DOGs websites. I've not been disappointed in any way. Pretty positive stuff posted here!

The smallest 4 passenger C-Dory is the 19 Angler. Its open cabin back will actually add room because you can sit and fish in the two aft seats while other folks move around further aft. Still only 19 feet, but if one or two of your fishermen are 4 year olds it may be big enough. There are some of us who prefer smaller boats for the simple reason that our porcine brother-in-law can't come along! Cool

The 19 Cruiser on the C-Dory website shows an earlier interior. Current interior has seat pads (only) aft of the main seating. C-Dory can probably build the boat either way.

C-Dory probably still has the molds for the 22 Angler with a comparatively mammoth cockpit compared to the 22 Cruiser. And there's a 22 Sport with no cabin back. Les is the guy to talk to about a "one-off." But C-Dory has more sales than production facilities and delivery can take time.

There's really not a "high bow" problem with C-Dorys, but the flat hull section aft makes them pound sooner in waves than a Vee hull (they also use a lot less fuel). To partially cure the pounding you need to force the bow down. Trim tabs are the proper way to do it on larger hulls, we use a motor SST foil on our little boat.

-- Chuck
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin,

You came to the right place! Welcome, and Happy New Year. I'm not biased in either direction and I've owned several of each make and size. Both C-Dory and Arima are very well built boats, and either brand is an excellent choice.

Sea-keeping ability depends more on the guy or gal driving than the make of boat. Either make is very safe, if properly handled, in any reasonable sea. Arima first: I've had 17, 19, 21 and 22, with hundreds of hours in each... and operated all models in heavy weather that smarter drivers would have gone home. Safe? you bet. Like most other boats, the bigger one you have, the more comfortable the ride.

The C-Dory is an extremely well-built and designed boat, and the 22 (I've owned three) will take as much heavy weather as most drivers can handle. Because of the hull shape, with virtually no deadrise aft, the C-dory planes easily and economically, and when the going gets really nasty -- will plane comfortably at around 10 knots and handle the slop as well as any boat its size.

Which one to buy depends strictly on your personal intended use. Some of our members here in the pub go offshore regularily for Tuna and Salmon - and cross the various bars when they are allowed to go.

You will get much input from our group here -- and one of the real advantages of the C-Dory is the great bunch of owners and their families here in the pub. Without exception they are willing to help with problems, or just gather in some little sheltered bay and socialize.

Ask your questions -- guaranteed you will get straight answers here.

Again, welcome to the pub!

Dusty

My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Calvin,

I just had to reply to this one, first because I have owned and enjoyed Arimas (three of them) and C-Dorys (owned one and soon to be the proud parent of a second). Second, I have fished the waters out of Newport, OR. for the past twenty years.

So here goes. Both the Arima and C-Dory lines offer similar advantages in that they're light weight, seaworthy, easy to tow and store, plus, extremely economical to live with. I see the C-Dory as a natural progression from the Arima, especially if you need a warm cabin with full galley accommodations.

The differences on the water are noteworthy. The Arima, (because of it's wide beam to length) gives one the feeling of stability in almost any water. The C-Dory is just as stable but has the feel of a controlled roll when fishing ( especially drifting ) in swells. My personal belief is that both boats will handle any sea that one might care to fish on. However, from experience, I would say that the C-Dory becomes easier to manage in nasty water and is very comfortable navigating serious water at an economical (10-12 mph). Perhaps the biggest difference is speed. Many Arima owners power their 22's with 130 hp., on a C-Dory 22, you will see 70 - 90 hp. Think of a comfortable 17 - 20 mph ride on most days and if that is appealing then you will love a C-Dory

These are both great boat builders using time proven high quality construction techniques. Both are killer fishers and such a joy to own.
I would suggest that you arrange a sea trial with Les at EQ Marine; he sells both lines and is a very helpful and respected.

Hope this helps!

Jerry

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin, Welcome to the Pub here. Glad you joined up with us. Hope you enjoy the info ,and all the good folks here. I think that no matter what, opinions on boats or boat makes are infinite,and varied.
As for us we are just C-Nuts. I was raised with a 1959 Unflite runabout, then a Glastron runabout,but when I saw the C-Dory elevated as a sign at he factory on a visit to Seattle in 1986, I thought,yep, that looks like a cruiser for me. Took me til 2002 to get one but I did, and haven't had a second thought about it. It opened up a wonderful new chapter of adventuring, and new wonderful friendships, along with finding out that C-Dory's are a "way of life".More than just a boat.
By the way the 22 Angler is being offered again and to be on display with all the other models at the SBS.
We would love to have ya come to the SBS-CBC, talk to the guys who build 'em and the fun folks that own them too.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding about them guys hating CD's. Really. So I changed the title for this discussion a little and left off the initial post. Well, I couldn't just change the title, so I split everything off to a newly titled topic. It's nerd stuff. I don't know how it works.

That being said... Welcome, Calvin, to a Kinder and Gentler C-Brat Pub!

I would really like to meet you at the Portland boat show, but there's just too much going on here with family and work. Stop by the Sportcraft display, and they should have some C-Dorys to look at. If you really want the scoop, the Seattle show is the one to go to. We have what we call a convention there every year (well, we did last year and are again this year). If you can get away on the weekend of 01/17, you really ought to give it some thought. You can get the $49 C-Brat special at a fancy, friendly and artsy hotel called Larkspur Landing. Then, Saturday evening, right across the parking lot at the Hilton, there will be a get together of the finest folks you'll meet on or off the water. Great fun, great friends, great food, and a great little mini-vacation. You can bring the whole family. Most of us are at or nearing the grandparent stage, so it isn't exactly a wild party!
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin and welcome to the site! Having never owned an Arima, I certainly am unable to voice an opinion of the comparison with a C-Dory.
I currently own a 16' Cruiser which has been a most delightful vessel for us. On one occasion we were "caught" out in 6' waves, taking green water over the bow. My (at that time) 11 year old daughter said, "I don't know dad, but by comparison, I'd say this is the Perfect Storm".
At this time we are selling our 16' and "moving up" to a 22' C-Dory Cruiser. Since, daughter is now 14, we have 3 adults on board which begins to become a bit crowded on the 16'. Additionally, since we have used the boat every month since we purchased it in '99, the addition of a heater in the cabin of the 22' beckons my wife and daughter to join me out on a winter cruise.
When I first heard that the C-Dory had a "balsa core", I too questioned that....(I was thinking of flimsy balsa wood toy gliders). I was then told that "balsa wood can be as strong as oak".
In comparing the Arima and C-Dory, I too would recommend that you speak with Les.
Again, welcome to the group and please do join us at any of our gatherings.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split off the discussions of balsa cored construction - good stuff for the library. Link is here.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww- Arimas--- We used to go out 50 miles for albacore in my friends Arima 17' SeaRanger. I started to buy the 22' Hardtop from the local Arima dealer when I saw a C-Dory in for service. He was not a C-Dory dealer, but we talked with the Factory and he ordered my 22' C-Dory for me. Then decided not to become a dealer Crying or Very sad Both are great boats, but I do like the ability to stay dry in the C-Dory.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided I wanted to upgrade from my 19' Alumaweld Stryker to an Arima. The Stryker just wasn't seaworthy enough for me. I wanted an enclosed bow, a non metal boat that wouldn't corrode and generally to be more comfortable. The Stryker with it's 14 degree hull just rocked and rolled to much in waves. No problem, I get out the yellow pages and look up the nearest Arima dealer. Here it is, Oregon City Marina. Hey, that must be the dealer under the bridge at Oregon City. So off I go.
I drive to the place I thought it was and found that this marina was called SportCraft Marina, and there are no Arima's here. Wait a sec, what's that? Geez, that sure is a pretty boat, I'd better get out and take a look at it. Well, to make this story shorter, I crawled all over that 22' C-Dory and was delighted at what I saw.
I eventually found the Arima dealer and made about 3 separate trips there to compare them with the C-Dory, and did lot's of homework ... well, you can see what I ended up with. I'm sure glad I made the right decision. Mr. Green

joew

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Betty Louise
Photos: Betty Louise
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of balsa wood and the concerns that everyone raise when they hear that it is the sandwiched material in the c-dory hull, decks and bulkhead, recall that thor heyerdahl crossed the pacific ocean from south america to polynesia on a balsa wood raft, kon tiki. add in the fact that the balsa core on the cd is end grain balsa and resin impregnated. very dense stuff, but also very light considering strength to weight ratio. the hull is something close to 2 inches thick and all fiberglass is hand laid. the betty louise is my first boat, but i have been out in the sound in some very heavy stuff with buddies who have spent their lives on the water but never on a c-dory and they sing the praises of the stable platform she provides in bad weather. but then i'm preaching to the choir here, so sermon over!

hopefully, peg and i will see you folks at the boat show and the party.

joew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: