C-Dorys For Sale - eBay ads
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: C-Dorys For Sale - eBay ads Reply with quote

I AINT SELLING NOTING ON EBAY...

BUT.... DID TYPE THIS IN ANOTHER LINK..

BILL... PLEASE MAKE THIS GO AWAY..

Embarassed

I Fantasic Plan it sounds like to me. I have never been on one of the Arima's... but have to admit that it was the 1st "pilot house" type boat I did get on at the Atlanta, GA boatshow back in about 1990ish.... which started by study and initial purchase of my 1st C-Dory. Great boats I hear... and... I would for sure get on one if they had one in about the 27-30 foot range. Plan on keeping my 18Angler that I am fixing up...it is the last 18 hull produced... and then getting me a larger boat to really travel and possibly a little charter business once Sherryl and I have traveled the Great Loop and other waters.

Good idea kinda to get the hightest dollar possible...I guess on the Ebay...but have had trouble with folks having some type of software that at the last second putting in a bid higher than the last bid but lower than some amount to keep them from paying too much... Now.. I have not been there since then...and this may be all hosed up...but kinda how the hole ebay thing was explained to me by someone who does shop and sell on it... I just got pissed off Angry .. and went and bought what I wanted. So... this might be an opportunity for some of my fellow C-Dory owners to help me out with the process...

And for those of you who are asking....no... I ain't bidding on this jewel of a boat... A 70 on 16.... wow..

Yep...the 22K for a new 16 with a new 4 stroke and aluminum trailer is right on target.... But, I think on this ebay gig...we will see some of that is the other $8K of items you put on your boat ....the same things someone else wants....or not.. Interesting read on some thoughts along these lines in the "are used c-dory boats selling for too much" or something like that thread/link...

I for sure will watch this...

Byrdman

On edit by Da Nag

The first few posts here were split from another topic, since they primarily address eBay ads.

Last edited by Byrdman on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to follow this boat and see what it brings on ebay. I have a feeling someone will get a very good deal on it.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman - it looks like the post we were refereing to has been deleted by mediaman for some reason.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
It will be interesting to follow this boat and see what it brings on ebay. I have a feeling someone will get a very good deal on it.

On a related note...I've asked the seller to not use our site to promote his upcoming eBay auction. I've deleted his posts that do so.

We provide a free service here, that benefits C-Dory buyers and sellers alike - our C-Dory Boats For Sale By Owner forum. Anyone who wants to, can post an ad free of charge, and reach a very wide audience of potential C-Dory purchasers.

We're not an advertising outlet for eBay, and we're not interested in providing an avenue for eBay sellers to promote their auctions here - regardless of the item. Yes, I realize folks have posted links to eBay in the past when a C-Dory pops up, but there is a big difference; such posts are not made by folks with a financial interest in the outcome of the auction, and are not intended to drive as much traffic as possible to the auction in order to maximize bids.

On edit by Da Nag

Removed some unnecessary harshness... Embarassed

Last edited by Da Nag on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Byrdman - it looks like the post we were refereing to has been deleted by mediaman for some reason.

Nope - deleted by me. See above.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill: Fantastic and I agree 100%... It too also reflects the draw to the dollars...rather than the draw to the C-Dory family...

Bill, Hero...no way did I have any intent on pushing or promoting ebay... and...my other post have that "tone."

It was not my intent to push or promote this boat sell either...but, was, attempting to answer a call for a ride in the NC area...from another thread. I did not mean to cause you extra work...you have had your hands full nursing me thru my boatless period of growth in my life.. Cry Cry

Please...if in any way this hole thing needs to be deleted...please do so.. I really do not like my name as the "beginner" of the ebay thread at all... but for sure I added fuel to the fire.... and I think most folks today do look in multiple places for used boats....or they should.

My apologies to "the family."

Byrdman
Da Nag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
...no way did I have any intent on pushing or promoting ebay... and...my other post have that "tone."

Feh...you did nuttin' wrong there Bub, nor did anyone else. Even the guy who posted the eBay ad didn't know any better, which is why I contacted him privately after his first post. He's since responded and understands - seems like a good guy, and I've offered to move his original post to the For Sale forum if he chooses to provide a price and advertise here.

Just to be clear - we could care less if somebody sees an eBay auction, or Craigslist post, or any other C-Dory ad elsewhere on the Net and mentions it here. I've done so myself. And we certainly don't care if anyone discusses the pros/cons of selling a C-Dory on eBay...that's actually an interesting topic that would provide useful info to many folks.

We just don't want anyone taking advantage of this site, intentionally or otherwise, by advertising their own boats, available exclusively at an eBay auction.

Byrdman wrote:
My apologies to "the family."

No apology necessary, but if you really feel badly, you can toss another hog on the spit at the next gathering... Beer Beer
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody got an apparently screaming deal...

Took some cajones to list a C-Dory with no minimum/reserve...can't say I'd consider doing so after seeing this one go so cheap.
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:

That was mediaman's boat and I was right with my prediction.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BOAT IS ALSO BEING MARKETED LOCALLY....RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SELL LOCALLY... Thanks....

He has an out. Only an idiot wouldn't have one when dealing with Ebay on a high dollar item.
mediaman

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: 5:00 Somewhere
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: C-DORY SOLD LOCALLY - Not On Ebay... Reply with quote

Since this morning we have been feverishly trying to contact Ebay to cancel the listing for our boat. We had a standing offer locally for a week and we decided to take it this morning. Unfortunately we were completely unaware of the 48 hour limit on cancelling an auction - but Ebay has told us that since we had "Reserve The Right To Sell Locally" and "MARKETING LOCALLY" in the ad and that we had decided to sell locally before the end of the auction, that we were under no obligation to sell it to the eBay winner. This is NOT a terribly good Ebay move and I can't recommend it - but we were honestly unaware about the cancellation rule since we had never tried to cancel an auction before. If someone could please help me contact Da Nag and ask him to remove our listing from the site, I'd really appreciate it - the new buyer locally is going to be a member on C-Brats soon. - Thanks for all your support here. - Mediaman
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: C-DORY SOLD LOCALLY - Not On Ebay... Reply with quote

mediaman wrote:
If someone could please help me contact Da Nag and ask him to remove our listing from the site, I'd really appreciate it - the new buyer locally is going to be a member on C-Brats soon.

I moved it from the For Sale section to the Marketplace Reference section earlier today - this is typically what we do when a boat sells, so buyers and sellers can see what has gone on historically. This also removes the ad from the front page, and once boat ads are moved to the Marketplace Reference section, the thread is locked.

Last edited by Da Nag on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: C-DORY SOLD LOCALLY - Not On Ebay... Reply with quote

mediaman wrote:
Since this morning we have been feverishly trying to contact Ebay to cancel the listing for our boat. We had a standing offer locally for a week and we decided to take it this morning.

If you received an offer outside of eBay a week ago, why didn't you cancel the auction then, and relist with a reserve equal to your local offer? Sorry...but that just stinks. You sat on a local offer for a week, then bailed on the eBay auction at the last minute when it became obvious you were about to lose your shirt. So in other words, your "no reserve" eBay auction was at best, disingenous - you've known for a week you wouldn't take any of the bids listed, but you were still advertising it as "no reserve".

Were I the winning bidder, I'd have been livid - and evidently, he was, as he left negative feedback after sending you a deposit, and you refused to sell.

Sheesh...sorry, but I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the predicament you got yourself into. I feel much sorrier for the poor guy who thought he scored a great boat at a great price, only to find out you never had any intention of selling it to him at the price he bid.
mediaman

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: 5:00 Somewhere
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Bad Assumptions Everywhere Here.... Reply with quote

There are a lot of bad assumptions being made here in these posts. There is NO WAY I would have risked my Ebay reputation had I known I could not end the auction. As it stands my Ebay reputation has taken a big, big hit today and probably rightfully so. I had talked to and run into other eBayers in similar situations where they were listing something locally and I honestly thought it was a matter of pushing a button. I was shocked when I ran into the 48 hour situation several pages in. I have been in contact with Ebay throughout the afternoon and they have said that if I did not have disclaimer in the auction I would be in the wrong. I contacted him at the first possible minute and I feel very, very bad about the situation. There is no and was no attempt to fool anyone or sit on information, etc. It was at worst an honest mistake. I'm likely not as tech savvy as I should be here either because I also did not completely understand how this site works at first either. If folks could think about this for a couple days maybe somebody would come around to give me the benefit of the doubt - before today I had 117 positive Ebay transactions - 0 negative, until today.
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by oldgrowth on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: