The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Line snubbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Line snubbers Reply with quote

Just spent a week doing our Gulf Island shakedown cruise. Met Caryn and Peter (C-Dancer) in Fulford Harbour and Brock (Bambina) in Colburne Passage. Had occasion to anchor at Sidney Spit, it was very windy and lumpy so I reluctantly went to the dock. I docked leeward (that was interesting) rather than getting pounded on the windward side. For the next three hours the boat and us were considerably jarred each time the bow line was blown to limit in the wind - no end of adustment would alleviate the shock. The problem would have been considerably relieved with a rubber line snubber. I think everyone should have one as part of their docking gear - I will be buying one or maybe two before I go out again.

Cheers - Dave
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Line snubbers Reply with quote

sailor-d wrote:
I docked leeward (that was interesting) rather than getting pounded on the windward side. For the next three hours the boat and us were considerably jarred each time the bow line was blown to limit in the wind - no end of adustment would alleviate the shock.
Cheers - Dave

I docked on the leeward side at the Lopez Islander Resort one time and the wind was so strong and steady, the bow, stern and spring lines never once had any slack! But, I can sure see the value of snubbers.

C-Brat #16
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by West Marine yesterday, only because I had one of their vouchers because I spent too much money there previously. The thing I wanted to look at were the snubbers. Without them the heavier boats, especially sailboats will gelcoat crack around the cleats when it really blows and you are tied to the dock. Another hard lesson learned. So I am looking at them and what a surprise, $50 each. No way I am going there. I have some old 12" fenders with attachment points at each end, I may just run the line through those and once around and give that a try. Another thought I had was some heavy truck bungy cords and stitch them onto the lines. Maybe someone else has a good idea. I have better ways to spend $150.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm.... going thru HomeDepot the other day and saw a porch swing mounted under its own awning....but the neat part was that the support "chains" had spliced into it a large metal spring..... as to soften the blow when you sit down... Now... all kinds of springs are available at REAL HARDWARE stores...or specialty spring shops... Spray that puppy up with some "Rust Resistant" paint, sew a sleeve from some matching boat fabric (or not..), or, mount the spring in a PVC tube, then cover it with some fabric as to not allow the spring effect pinch the fabric. Yep, it would take a sliced tie line, with some smaller "hold it there" lines for the pvc tube covering the spring...

OK... just wrap the spring in an old towel ya have and duct tape it.... Mr. Green You are really only going to be using it when ya have bad weather..... or if not... go ahead and fancy it up a bit....or spend the $50 minus the coupond....and those little gift cards ya finally have your family members giving you instead of ties and things you do not give a flip about for Christmas...and things....
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd,

We used to use the rubber bumpers that way. Once you have passed the line through put a knot in it to keep it from backing out. Wrap the bumper and put another knot just before going through the other side. You now have a fairly inexpensive snubber that can do duel duty when needed!

lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gary, exactly what I had in mind. Tonight, after mowing the lawn. I can remember when those snubbers were $25, and no wise cracks about sasparilla and Model T's. Modern boating is apparently going to require a whole lot more innovation.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of these http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/FAL/FALLLM1.html and they are a MUST HAVE when mooring in rough conditions. Big, fat, round fenders also make docking/mooring a soft, squishy breeze.

lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those be the snubbers. The ones for 5/8" are quite a bit more expensive, but probably cheaper than at west marine. I used to use the round buoys for fenders but they seemed to have a habit of riding up so I quit using them most of the time.
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of the Falcon snubbers (3/8" line). Yes, they are spendy, but the first time I used them (Lake Chelan, Steheiken, WA, docked with a headwind of about 50 mph), I was glad I spent the bucks. Great for sleeping through all the bucking and tossing too...

I spent only $25 each: http://lookleap.com/fisheriessupply.com/a3

Other options: http://lookleap.com/fisheriessupply.com/a4 and http://lookleap.com/fisheriessupply.com/a5

Not sure about the do it yourself approach... Tempting, but apparatus failure would be a bad thing. Maybe overbuilding (with some large diameter rubber rod?) would be the approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: