City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

that truly sucks! It won't be long before someone hacks it out of there though. Afterall, it is a computer! And hacking that would be pretty simple I bet. No different than hacking it to provide you with extra boost for your turbo!

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that I could wire around it, but there is the little matter of the warranty to consider and the fact that the whole thing is stupid and it makes me hate the truck.

Man...between you and Byrdman, I'm getting an appetite for cheese.

Quit yer' whinin' already...just lift the hood, pull the plugs from the horn, then install a set of these:

After you've installed the compressor to drive them, go test them out every day in the dealer's parking lot.

After they've heard this a few times, they'll reflash you.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Bill, he would want to use only factory parts like this..

http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=480557&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1ory

I looked for Dodge recall info on the net and all I could find (on the hord of sites dedicated to Dodge recalls) was a bunch on front wheels falling off

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike – if your door light is not important, disconnect it if that is part of the function of the recall update. I do not have my door light come on when my door is opened. I have to turn it manually.

Now the controversial part.
I can’t blame you one bit for being pissed with Dodge, but they are not the only company, person or professional that has tried to protect themselves from stupid law suites with stupid warnings or regulations. We have too many bottom feeding lawyers (see below) that are willing to sue for the dumbest reason. They clog up the court system. They argue that a person with common sense would not assume hot coffee can burn you. If a very small percentage of the people are too dumb to use common sense in their daily lives and hurt themselves because of it, why should the rest of us suffer the consequences? If that small percentage cannot learn from trial and error, maybe society would be better off without them. It is obvious that if they are too dumb to know hot coffee can burn, they are too dumb to understand the written warning label on that cup of coffee and maybe they shouldn’t be perpetuating the problem by breeding.

We cannot and should not try and protect every one from all dangers of living.

I know we have some attorneys on this site and this is not meant to disparage them. We need good attorneys, some of my good friends are attorneys and I have great respect for the good and honest ones. Pat included. Star

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a temporary fix till you figure it out .... "DuckTape" ... my old chevy doesn't count but on the ford focus the lite switch or push switch is on the door post right in the lock catch .. if you duck tape that closed than the lite..alarm should not come on ... would think you could than open the door without the horn blaring away ... mines a little plastic button right in the lock catch (hard to notice) almost have to push to realize its a switch ... i suspect Dodge will have the same their should be a switch some where ... not that you want ducktape on a new Dodge ... lol.. Mr. Green [/u][/url]
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT'S the size horn set-up we need on the C-Dory. And I like the sound it makes too!

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you don't need no horn, mirrors or even reverse... That Dodge has all kinds of ponies except one to saddle for the grandkids...
Just get a run at the shop and convert it to a pull through and your problems are... well... you get the idea...

On the other hand that is pretty cool to have a truck that honks as it drives by you in reverse... I bet it flys the one antennae salute when it does too Laughing .

I bet you could look up that mod on some Dodge truck board and undo their mod with a barber horn special that only honks in forward with the left window down with a west wind.

I bet that was quite the discovery when you figured it out...

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

Seems to me the simplest of all solutions would be to just insert a switch in the horn power supply line-

There must be just a single wire going to the horn at some point accessible to add a switch in.

Simply cut the line and add a two conductor wire to the ends and take it to a switch you can mount at some convenient point to turn the durn thing on and off.

But I do get a kick out of some of these suggestions!

Got an dual air horn on my motorhome and it's a lot of fun to blow folks away with!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If that small percentage cannot learn from trial and error, maybe society would be better off without them.

I believe these are the people that appear in the Darwinian awards every year. Unfortunately not enough accidents happen each year to weed them out of the population.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Joe, I thought the same thing. I even found a small PP SPST with high rated contacts that can go right in the line so I don't have to figure out which relay to drop out. That will do until I find a NC relay that will open with a signal from the backup light circuit.

As for the door switch, it is inside the door and integrated into the latch, so duct tape isn't much use. I don't want to tear the door open and the latch apart to disable it, and even if I did figure out which of the many wires it fed I would be loathe to cut it.

I did stop at the Chevy dealer to pick up a brochure on their heavy trucks. Then I looked at a 3500 on the lot and wondered why it was so physically small. After that I looked at a 2500 equipped how I would rig a 1-ton and saw the sticker price at over $51,000. Whoa. I didn't see what they were so proud of at all. I haven't even bothered to go through the brochure. Chevy is out. I have always liked the looks of Ford, but their latest attempt at the Powerstroke has something like 91 service bulletins at the moment, which means they are likely to hook up the horn to blow for as many reasons. My '04 Dodge 3500 still has the best diesel on the road, even with the bleeping horn, so I reckon I will be keeping it for a while yet.

And Sneaks - No sir, I do not need to open the door to back my trailer, but because it is so much easier to do so it would be stupid not to. Especially turning it around in my yard with the tongue inches from hard jackknife. I have good mirrors, but I also have enough sense use what works best.

And Bill - I don't want to stick that horn on my truck, but if you need some suggestions as to where you can stick it........

And finally, Caty Mae - I love you too!

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
Sounds like I need to buy a Dodge truck as the perfect match to my Suzukis. The perfect vehicle would be a Dodge truck powered by Suzuki.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Mike – if your door light is not important, disconnect it if that is part of the function of the recall update. I do not have my door light come on when my door is opened. I have to turn it manually.

Now the controversial part.
I can’t blame you one bit for being pissed with Dodge, but they are not the only company, person or professional that has tried to protect themselves from stupid law suites with stupid warnings or regulations. We have too many bottom feeding lawyers (see below) that are willing to sue for the dumbest reason. They clog up the court system. They argue that a person with common sense would not assume hot coffee can burn you. If a very small percentage of the people are too dumb to use common sense in their daily lives and hurt themselves because of it, why should the rest of us suffer the consequences? If that small percentage cannot learn from trial and error, maybe society would be better off without them. It is obvious that if they are too dumb to know hot coffee can burn, they are too dumb to understand the written warning label on that cup of coffee and maybe they shouldn’t be perpetuating the problem by breeding.

We cannot and should not try and protect every one from all dangers of living.

I know we have some attorneys on this site and this is not meant to disparage them. We need good attorneys, some of my good friends are attorneys and I have great respect for the good and honest ones. Pat included. Star

Dave, well said.
Bravo!

James

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
wineman

City/Region: mcminnville, or
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my first vineyard here in Western Oregon in 1997, I knew I needed a pickup that would haul at least 8000 pounds of grapes per load. I looked at them all, Chevy, Dodge, and Ford. I disliked the interior of the Ford and Dodge, and I disliked the engine noise of both also. I bought a Chev 3/4 ton 4 x 4 with the 6.? whatever liter diesel engine. I had to have the water pump replaced under warranty at under 10K miles, and then they replaced the fuel pump under warranty at 117,000 miles. I'm at 125K miles and she runs like new, and can still tow those grapes.

Buy a Chevy, you won't be sorry.

Wineman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: