The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Isabella

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Lake Isabella Reply with quote

In order to try and keep the threads seperate, I will start a thread for Lake Isabella so we don't "contaminate" the Delta Thread.

I've moved this from the Delta Thread;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lake Isabella is plenty large enough for cruising. I have been considering going there, also.

Been awhile since I was there, but I do know the winds come up rather suddenly at times. Gets hot in the summer. Fall might be a good time to go.

There is plenty of fishing. A few campgrounds, French Gulch comes to mind as it has a marina.

Lake map

Lake Isabella online

There is a $45 annual fee per boat for the lake.[/url]

Salty-Cs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They planted salmon in the lake a few years back and now it is apparently OK to harvest...if you have the prerequisite skills...I might need a bit of tutelage. I posted a pic of the lake in the gathering album from our second day.

Sealife

Roger,

Visited their site that you linked and the rates are lower than what you said. $30 annual, $10 for a three day pass. Looks like a great place for us to visit.

Fishtales

Salty-Cs wrote:
They planted salmon in the lake a few years back and now it is apparently OK to harvest...if you have the prerequisite skills...I might need a bit of tutelage. I posted a pic of the lake in the gathering album from our second day.

The salmon is Kokanee, a land locked Chinook. They are fished a little differently than Coho or Kings. Most kokanee are taken on small lures or bugs trolled either by themselves or behind a kokanee dodger. Kokanee are attackers. Some large solitary fish are very territorial. They will attack strange intruders as long as they believe they have the advantage. If kokanee feel they are outnumbered they will stay away from your lures. In some bodies of water you will find kokanee tightly schooled. In others they will be found almost one by one.

Kokanee are unlike any other fish. They are primarily plankton feeders, and also feed on tiny mysis shrimp. Since they do not readily feed on minnows, lures or standard bait, kokanee must be targeted specifically. Larger kokanee are very territorial. Kokanee are attackers. What triggers this attack seems to be the right style of lure in the right color for the moment. Corn and scent seem to be the final key to triggering an attack.

Fishtales

Sealife wrote:
Roger,

Visited their site that you linked and the rates are lower than what you said. $30 annual, $10 for a three day pass. Looks like a great place for us to visit.

Ok- I paid $45 for the Kern County sticker a few years ago, that included all of the lakes in Kern County. Guess they have their own sticker. $10 for a three day pass is good.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy

Last edited by C-Hawk on Sat May 27, 2006 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, let's find out how much interest there is in going to Lake Isabelle. It has been awhile since I've been there -- used to go up there all the time when I was just a young'un. Took my dad up there about 10 years ago and he hooked a nice 5 lb rainbow.

Roy, I think you've been there recently? Any more info you can add would be greatly appreciated.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of order, kokanne are land locked sockeye, chinook are kings, coho are silvers. that lake was planted with the help of the California inland fishers foundation. heres there link http://www.kokanee.org/ and I would suggest reading Seps pro tackles book on trolling for trout and any of his gear. I was using the small grub worms with his flashers three years before he started to sell them. I told a few guides about it and they told sep and next thing you know he has them on the market. white is my favorite.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, thanks Tom. Embarassed

Kokanee is a land locked sockeye. I've only caught one-- trolling for trout. I was using bolo blades with a #1 needlefish.
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a September gathering? Sometime right after Labor Day, when the crowds are down, or even late September/early October would be great.....fall colors, warm days, cool nights. How about the last week in September?
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder: First week in October is usually the Santa Barbara Seafood Festival trip, right after lobster season opens.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Barbara is Oct, 13, 14 ,15 this year. Mid September might be best. My schedule is pretty tight at work for the next few months, so I may/may not be able to make it.
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Lake Isabella Reply with quote

I went there five or so years ago and rented a pontoon boat. It was windy as hell and large breaking waves were crashing over the bow and flooding over the deck. I was the only nut out on the lake and a pontoon boat was the only boat that would survive those conditions. One large section suppose to be good for fishing was unapproachable because of many submerged but still rooted trees and trees stumps. My only prior visit was during a huge forest fire when fire fighting helos kept passing right over my tent to suck water from the lake beyond the campsite. It was like being in a war zone with smoke and helos and heat, lots of heat. We took a niece from Japan who I think was in shock that I thought all that was fun! My suggestion is to trailer the C-Dory an hour beyond Isabella to California Redwood Forest and use the boat as a camper. Then enjoy the "Walk among the Giants" and when you're done, barbecue a steak. Keith, C-Pup
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this got away from us this time. We'll keep it on the burner.
It would still be nice to cruise the lake sometime. There is some good bass, trout, crappie, perch and catfish in this lake.
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: lake gathering Reply with quote

I'd prefer Cachuma or Casitis in your back yard Rog. Easier to get to for a Saturday nigh camp out. ~ Keith
Roy and Lucky

C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Water Lillie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I never noticed this thread before.
My dad started taking my brother and me to area in the mid 60's. The first time I drove an automobile was on the old kern canyon road (old hwy 7Cool. My first solo road trip after I got my licence was to the Kern River which feeds the lake. Lucky and I were married by the justice of the peace in the city of Lake Isabella and my dad and brother's ashes are spread in the Kern River.
I really haven't spent much time on the lake though because we usually camp and fish on the river.
Here's some links to the area:
http://www.kernvalley.com/news/isabella.htm
http://www.lakeisabella.net/
If there's real interest, I'll get more specific information regarding the ability to overnight in selfcontained boats, guest slips ect.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,
I used to go up there a lot when I was younger. I know the winds can get horrific on the lake. (by experience) Do you know what time of year would be best?
Roy and Lucky

C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Water Lillie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time of year depends on your personal taste. I perfer the spring because the foot hills are green. Mid to lateApril has a lot of greenery and wild flowers. Summer gets into the 100's. The elevation is only about 2300 ft. but I've snowed upon in the winter (doesn't stick). Usually when it snows, I just set up the tent and get inside it. Lucky and I did get a little hypothermic one year due to rain and wind and cold and had to check into an inn (still, it was a wonderful weekend). I used to take two and three week vacations on the river after Labor Day. That's also a prefferance but the hillsides are dry.
One summer in the early 70's camped on the river from May through Sept. Can't exactly remember which year (it was a "fuzzy" time in my life). Anyhow............................. What was I saying?

Oh ya! I think all the docks at the marinas are locked at night indicating that overnighting is not allowed but I'm checking into it.[/b][/u][/i]
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped at the lake about 2 months ago coming home from camping the lower Sierra's. I talked to a boat owner as he was hauling his boat out at the end of the day at a beach campground area (no ramp). He said they allow boats to stay on the water if they're securely (and obviously) anchored to shore at the end of the day and all night. Don't know if that's a seasonal thing though, best to check with someone 'official' there.

I'd like to see a trip to Lake Isabella in early spring too, maybe replacing the Mojave Lake trip even (I know, I know -- blasphamy!), might be doable on a weekend working around my son's school hours.
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Isabella sounds good...especially if we can get Roy to do the steaks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: