The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Electric Wipers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Electric Wipers? Reply with quote

Howdy All,
I'm curious as to how folks feel about the value of electric wipers. I have manual wipers and a bottle of Rain-X which have worked fine so far, but wonder about their adequacy when venturing into bigger waters. Opinions?
TX
Al
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric. Period. Our CD 22 didn't have them until I put the things on. Then I added a momentary switch by the port side seat so my wife could run her own. Even if it isn't raining, some well-placed splash and a slight breeze can drive you nuts. Our new boat has them already, but now I am bugging the electricians at work to scrounge up some time delay relays to add an intermittent feature.

A near future project is to tap into the pressure side of the demand pump I added to the freshwater system on board. I figure to run some 1/4" tubing to a small valve near the helm, and then to spray nozzles at the outside top of the front windows. Saltwater spray can really make a mess of things. Window washers aren't really all that necessary, but since the pressure system is there already, it is almost free.

Keep in mind, though, that I am kind of weird when it comes to electric gadgets.

MOOSE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any good ideas for a helm mounted switch to run either one wiper or the other, or both, or none?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest would be a toggle switch for each wiper motor. For a little over three bucks at Radio Shack, you can get a pair of 20a switches on a plastic mounting plate.

If you want to control all the functions for both wipers with one switch, you can always go to a wrecking yard and get a 3-throw 4-position switch out of a junk car (like a heater fan switch). To buy a new switch like that with heavy enough DC contacts would probably be a little spendy.

Ain't boats fun?
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate toggle for each wiper works best in my experience. With the shape of the hull it's often not necessary to run both at the same, especially in spray conditions. The separate button on the port side is a nice touch.

You can wire them both to the same switch using a diode to isolate them and they'll park one after the other. Without the diode they have to hit the cut out at the same second and can run for upwards of a minute before that happens.

I'm currently using two panel switches, but will probably put toggles down out the bottom of the dash. 16 Cruiser has a deep lip there with room for a couple of switches which I'll also probably red-light with the instruments so I can find 'em in the dark.

Manual wipers may be traditional in C-Dorys, but I tired of getting up from the wheelsman's seat the first weekend on Lake Erie.

I'm not sure how you salties do this without windshield washer fluid too, salt spray off the road turns my car windshield opaque in the winter.

-- Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: wipers for 2004 22 cruiser Reply with quote

Tyboo

I would like to get elec wipers for my 2004 22 cruiser, west marine has the AFI 1000 in 16 and 18 inch, this looks to be to long to me, any suggestions?

TOPKICK
MOOSE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it came time, I just ordered mine from the C-Dory factory. Then you know they're the right size and set for the correct angle sweep. If you want to get confused, try to figure out what you need from the Marinco/AFI website.
Al

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al

Have a call into the factory, but no return call as of this posting, need type and price.

Thanks
TOPKICK
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topkick-

Follow Al's suggestion. I did it the hard way and much trial and error later, figured it out eventually. Left over manual set ups can be utilized two ways. 1) Add a manual wiper for the center windshied. Electric won't fit here as there's no room for the motor in the correct position inside the cabin--the electronics shelf above and dash shelf below. Also, opening center window poses another problem! 2)Second wiper can be kept for spare parts or installed on window in rear door or other rear window if you troll or go out in the rain a lot.

See you at Lake Shasta and you can see my installation and discuss the details!!! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank
I will take your advice and get them from the factory.

Thanks
TOPKICK
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems with leaking around the electric wipers?

I just found that the driver side wiper leaks through to the dash. Don't know yet if it leaks only when turned on or also when off. A quick look seemed like there is a ruber gasket where it comes through the fiberglass. Does any one know if this is how they are sealed?

Thanks,
Steve
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you probably only need to tighten up the nut on the wiper shaft. It will compress the rubber gasket and should stop the leak. I had this problem when I first got my boat.

Fred
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed electric wipers on our 16 Cruiser after the first weekend with the boat on Lake Erie. Rain wasn't the isse, wave splash was. Not sure how close the manuals are on other boats, but they're not reachable from the seats on a 16 Cruiser.

I ordered the "kit" from the factory. Has the wiring harness, spacers, etc. Everything but a wiring diagram which they FAXed me when I called.

I'm still using the bottom two switches on the panel for the wipers, but plans are for a pair of switches below the dash.

-- Chuck
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Marie wrote:
Steve, you probably only need to tighten up the nut on the wiper shaft. It will compress the rubber gasket and should stop the leak. I had this problem when I first got my boat.

Fred

I accidentally pulled the wires off their push-on terminals while rigging the Jenny B, and could not get them reconnected without unscrewing the wiper shaft nut and removing the other nut holding the wiper motor on, then manipulating the best I could without removing the wiper blade assembly itself. Fat fingers run in the family. In any case, I agree with Fred. The factory does put a dab of sealant on the screw mount and relies on the gasket for the wiper shaft.

On another note, this is my first "winter" on C-Brats and ya sure can tell the difference. Left on a 3 day trip without my laptop and there were 150 new messages here. Wow!

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Electric Wipers Reply with quote

A quick question - if your electric wipers fail, can they be operated manually as well? Question

John
Swee Pea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: