The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Baystar installation issues with twin Hondas - need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nainu

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nainu
Photos: Nainu
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Baystar installation issues with twin Hondas - need help Reply with quote

Had my steering cable break last weekend about 45 miles out in PWS. Jury rigged a tiller to make it back. Decided this is a good time to switch to hydraulic steering, so I bought the Baystar unit.

I have twin Honda 45s on a 1991 vintage 22 Cruiser. The new Baystar unit for Hondas when attacched to the starboard engine will only allow for attaching tie bar on top of the plate, which when connected to the port engine causes the tie bar to interfere with the steering unit if you tilt the port engine. and also with the extension on the engine where the control cables enter (if turned toward the port). I looked at the Sea Star tie rod kits but they do not work with Baystar.

My question is: has anyone used the new Baystar unit with twin Hondas, and if so, how have you installed the tie rod?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nainu-

Sounds like you had some exciting developments out in PWS! Glad to hear that yoiu made it back OK because of your ingenuity!

Hopefully some from this site will be able to help you, but this question is one that may be easily delt with by the factory technical representative from Baystar (or whoever makes it). If you don't get an answer soon, give them a call, as the tech. rep. deals with these kinds of application problems all the time. May even have the specific hardware to get the job done!

Good Luck!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Winyah

City/Region: Ashland, WI
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Winyah
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Baystar Reply with quote

Nainu,
I just installed the Baystar with the new cylinder on twin 40's. Had the same problem as you. Solved it by hooking up the tie bar on the top of the starboard bracket and the bottom of the port bracket. Works great. Another solution would be to fabricate new brackets that extend out further from the engine. Hope this helps.

Gary on "Winyah"
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nainu,

Had the same problem with our twins and the Baystar system. The C-Dory factory installed the Baystar and were unable to get it to work so they just handed the stuff over to me to install. Ours quaisi-works with a custom bracket but my intention is to switch to some SeaStar components or upgrade to the complete SeaStar package. My father had a similar problem with one of the boats he built and he was able to use both Baystar and SeaStar components together.

I'd love to hear how you solve this so please keep us posted.
Nainu

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Winyah, glad to hear it has worked out for you. Gives me hope.

I actually had thought of your solution but it appeared that tilting the port motor while at an angle would put the tie bar in hard contact the hydraulic unit. I really want to make it "dummy proof" if possible.

My next solution was the extension but that will require chasing down some stainless stock, drilling it to match the steering plate on the motor and tapping at least the front hole to keep it fixed solid to the plate. A lot of work. After having my last attempt at a fix go wrong after about 4 hours of trying to find the right part and messing around with it, thought asking others might be prudent before wasting more time.

Have called the factory but have not got any response from them yet.
Nainu

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chivita, I have some designs in my head for a tie bar system similar to what the factory does for Sea Star units, but I don't have the expertise or equipment to fabricate stainless (and don't have any good friends that do either), so not inclined to go that route. And by then, the Sea Star unit becomes the logical solution instead.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nainu,

I have the later Baystar unit with twin Honda 40's installed by Les at EQ and as you might expect it is well done. Hopefully it will stop raining in a few minutes and I will attempt to take some pictures and post them. If that doesn't work maybe you can send me a PM so I can post them in an e-mail reply.

Failing that I am sure that Les would be happy to tell you how to do it.

Merv
Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nainu,

I have pictures but no idea how to get them from my 'puter to here.

Merv[/img]
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merv - first you need a photo album - you need to request one from the site admins - Tyboo Mike or DaNag Bill. Usually a post such as mine results in the generation of an album.

Mike or Bill. This comes up enough that maybe it would be useful to have a button in the menu bar labeled either "Make an Admin Request" or "Request a photo album". That way the admins wouldn't have to pick up on these via reading all the forums and requests for attention (for help, not personal attention) could be more easily filtered from other PM's.

Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Herewith my humble prayer to the Gods for a Photo Album as I have truly also tried the "attachment" method and no glue was to be found.

Will now try anointing my innards with Guiness and will blow a little of the froth to the four winds in the hope of appeasing the cybergods.

Merv
Nainu

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merv, enjoy the Guiness. Think I may do the same. Will look forward to the pics once you are honored with the privilege of a photo album.
Thanks.
Rob
Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Photo's now in my album thankd to the cybergod Mike. If you need more detail just shout.

Hope it helps.

Merv
Nainu

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all my steering is in and working properly. It is awesome. I highly recommend the change. One hint, make sure it steers the right direction when you turn the wheel - installed mine as directed, I thought, only to find out when I launched that left meant right and visa versa. An easy fix to switch - you need not worry about losing too much hydraulic fluid when you disconnect the tubes - but kind of disconcerting at the start to turn right and go left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: