The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

King Trailer owners - check your disc brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I Am Glad I Checked Reply with quote

C-Sick wrote:
I have two questions - 1.) At what pad width should you replace 1/4 or 1/8?

Who is the best supplier? (Champion?)

Stamped right on the new caliper I have it says minimum pad thickness is 3/32". You should probably use 1/8" as your guide because they wear so fast. The new pad thickness is ~5/16"

I don't know if Champion is the best supplier, but they are very good. So good that if you found one a couple bucks cheaper I would probably stick with Champion. The only hassle is they do not yet have online ordering. But the lady who answers the phone is real nice, and she even took it upon herself to go look at one of the calipers I was ordering to make sure it had the fittings and pads while I was still on the phone.

Last edited by TyBoo on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Mike You Are The Best Reply with quote

Gotta love the site and the immediate response. The King Trailer site I did not find helpful nor the liturature that I got when I bought my trailer. This could get expensive if I have to change em out every 1000 miles.

I am sure going to keep better track of the mileage.

Are the 4 bolts to remove the calipers?

TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are the 4 bolts to remove the calipers?

Three bolts hold the adapter plate and spacer to the axle casting. Remove them, then the caliper slides off the two pegs on the plate. At least that's the way mine were yesterday. The bolts are fine thread and in a knuckle-busting spot. A ratcheting 9/16" boxend wrench is a good thing to have.

If your pads are worn out at 1000 miles, then you should only drive uphill from now on. Or go 3000 and you can replace the calipers too. The good thing about not checking them so often is when the rotors get scored they cool better.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and looking at the new caliper which is now on my desk, the four bolts you were probably referring to hold the two parts of the caliper together. You will have to remove them to get to the screws in the fixed pad. No problems though - the pistons and the fluid are completely in the other half.

The new pad sets from Champion come with new screws. I ordered a spare set so I am more apt to check and catch them before too late.
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Same Plan Reply with quote

Mike - I plan on the same plan. Order an extra set and check often. On visual inspection the pads looked rather brittle. I wonder if they make another product for the pad that holds up any better.

My rotors were also far more scored than would be the case on a car.

At some point one has to do the math and figure out the point of diminishing returns. Maybe dollars ahead to up grade to the vented rotors.

I'd like to know how much R&R went into the development of this style. I was feeling so cocky about having disc brakes and a dual axle trailier. Now I am eating those words.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puncturing the residual or relief valve on a drum brake actuator so it will accomodate disc brakes is not the best way to go. TieDown for example, as well as Titan, recommends removing the valve completely. TieDown is emphatic in telling you to remove the valve rather than puncturing the valve. It's not a difficult job taking the valve out, but it will cut into your spare time. More the reason to do it before the fishng gets serious. In short, removing the valve is foolproof, puncturing the the valve is not.

I strongly suspect that some of the high heat, fast and uneven wear on pads, are directly related to the above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: