The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trouble cleaning "non skid" decking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Trouble cleaning "non skid" decking Reply with quote

My "non skid" diamond patterned deck area's seem to get stained and I can't get them clean with a soap and brush. I've been thinking about maybe painting them with some kind of product but am afraid that that might be a mistake. Is there any product out there that will clean it? It seems as thought the diamond surface is a little porous unlike the gelcoat so I think that is why it's staining.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cleaned the non-skid on Pee Wee a couple weeks ago...it had sat for years without being touched. Plenty of stains...

TyBoo first mentioned it here, and he's right...Barkeeper's Friend is great stuff for getting stains out of gelcoat. I lightly wet the non-skid, then dumped the Barkeeper's Friend on it in an amount necessary to make it pasty. The 16 year old non-skid cleaned up perfectly - looks like new. I used an old toothbrush to clean the grooves, it went very quickly.

You will need to wax any surface you clean with this stuff afterwards - it will strip any existing wax right off.

BEFORE

AFTER

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bar keepers friend contains oxylic acid and is good at removing stains. We use it occasionally. There are also some non skid deck waxes. These will help fill the pores of the gel coat and prevent staining. One of the ones we like is "Woody Wax" non skid wax.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Da Nag, does that stuff work on people too? Looks great! I'll have to give both products a try.
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are the products sold?
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've used to clean scuffs and marks on our boat is the Mr. Clean erasers. They look like white sponges and all you do is get them wet with plain water and rub the area that needs to be cleaned. I cleaned up our hatch covers and all the little marks you get on the gel coat as well as the white wood inside the boat. I keep a couple on the boat at all times.

They work great at home too getting marks off the walls and such. They come in two different kinds, one is just the white sponge (which is the one I prefer) and the other has a blue pad on one side.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...does that stuff work on people too?

As a matter of fact, the Barkeeper's Friend does a great job getting grimy stains off the hands. I guess it's OK for you - that oxylic acid is a natural thing.

Quote:
where are the products sold?

I buy the stuff at Fred Meyer on the shelf next to the Comet Cleaser.

The stuff works real good on window glass, too. It will remove the water spots that have been there for years. You do want to be careful using it on aluminum, but I have got it on the powder coated window frames with no noticeable effects. If you really want to be amazed (well, I guess the Pee Wee results are amazing) - try it in the motor well on the stains that always show up under the steering mechanism and motor mounts.

I'm going to have to try those Mr. Clean eraser deals. Sounds like my kind of easy.

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
The stuff works real good on window glass, too. It will remove the water spots that have been there for years. You do want to be careful using it on aluminum, but I have got it on the powder coated window frames with no noticeable effects.
Oxalic acid is OK on powder coated Al, but not anodized Al. Would not leave it on the powder coated Al super long, but wiping with it is OK, I think.

The stuff is found in many plants: rhubarb; spinach; a low plant common in the NW: oxalis, and others. It is part of what makes raw rhubarb so tart. OK in moderate quantities for ingestion, but toxic in larger amounts. It chelates tightly to minerals like calcium or iron and prevents their absorption from the gut, so that if you regularly eat too much spinach or rhubarb, you can run into a deficiency of those two. An issue for folks trying to keep their calcium levels up: PG women, etc.

More info here: http://www.answers.com/topic/oxalic-acid including its ability to reduce metal oxides (e.g., iron oxide = rust) as part of cleaning.

bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Cleanning non slip Reply with quote

One wee detail:

I was having the same problem with normal mud and stuff; that is when I was using a brush. Then I simply used a rag and it worked much better. I think the bristles jump over or don't fit in the groves, but the rag does.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: