If you were planning a fishing trip??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,
Thanks so much for such an informative post. I really appreciate you giving us the reg info for catch limits!! I like the idea of having someone help us clean the fish. We have no clue what to do with a rock fish!!
WhalerGoFar - I like your idea!! Thumbs Up
John,
It looks like we are going to try Neah Bay this year and the Campbell River area next year. We would really like to check out Desolation Sound also. You will have to let us know how the fishing was when you get back!!

Jeff and Julie
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shuler: We went to Telegraph Cove last July. The king fishing was phenomenal. You can fish out of Telegraph or Alert Bay and it is a short run over to the northeast to the best fishing at an area called "the wall". It is a vertical rock face that the locals fish, you get so close your downrigger will almost touch but the fish seem to hang along the wall. You can also get married there ( I tried that as well). I saw a lot of boats at alert bay go out in the morning and limit and then were back out in the afternoon for more. Seemed a little agressive for my tastes. It is also right across from Robson Bight, the Orca reserve. We saw lots of orca and whales the whole week we were there. Better like rain though.
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the posession limit goes, this is what it says on this year's pamphlet for marine area's

Marine Area's 1-6 Anglers aboard a boat may only possess one daily limit of fish or shelffish in fresh form.

Salmon- Two daily limits of fresh salmon. An additional 40 pounds of salmon may be possessed in a frozen or processed form.

I usually try to process my catch too right away too. Vacuum seal it then on ice it goes or you can pay to have it frozen at the res. So you can actually have more than two daily limit's on your way back home as long as it's been proccessed or frozen. Which is nice if you stay for more than two days.

I'm planning on heading up on the weekend of July 15-16th for my first Neah trip this year and then will probably spend most weekends there for a month or so. When is everyone else planning on being there?

Sark
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark,

Thanks for correcting me - I forgot about the 40lbs frozen - that's key if you're not catching kings (in which case a limit of two could equal 40lbs).

That's per person with a license so if you hit that limit, you're doin' good enough to merit quitting. I have seen people out there bring RV's with big freezers and fill them with more than their limits though. Not my way of doing things....

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with not filling an RV. But I usually take my limit. And you're also right that two good kings could be 40 lbs, but the 40 lbs is on top of two daily limits in fresh form so that would be 4 kings. Which would take 4 days per person to land if you're following the rules, which I do. Man , I'm getting excited for salmon season. Neah bay here I come!! Smile I get my boat back from it's 20 hour service this week and I am hoping to get out in the sound for some tune up fishing, not much going on, but It's good to get the lines wet. And my buddies caught a 20+ pounder last weekend. Said it was chock full of live candlefish.

Sark
Doug

City/Region: Canmore
State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Fishing trip Reply with quote

If you're going to make the trip to Vancouver Island for salmon, I'd do as others have suggested. Either stick to the West Coast of the Island (Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Tofino) or go past Campbell River to Port Hardy, if you want quieter water. The east side of the Island below Campbell River is hard and spotty fishing these days, and the rockfish closure zones (no fishing at all) seem to be everywhere. Check out the Dept. of Fisheries web site for closure areas. "DFO.gc.ca" ???? Sorry, cant remember exact web address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: