The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garmin 188C Waypoint Inaccuracy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Garmin 188C Waypoint Inaccuracy Reply with quote

When setting a course in my Garmin 188C using waypoints from Wetherley's, I've noticed there is at least a 500 yard variance on the GPS compared to where I should be. In other words, according to the waypoints plotted in the GPS, many times the courseline is showing the boat going directly over land rather than being offshore by 500 yards or more. Obviously, I have to adjust. What this tells me is some kind of differential adjustment must be made in the Garmin.

Has anyone experienced this problem and is there some way to correct this variance? Are the Wetherley waypoints inaccurate? Pat (Daydream), I know you have good experience with the Garmin 188C so chime in at any time.
Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wetherly's has always seemed pretty close for me, but so has Garmin. Check the datum setting in the Garmin and see if the coordinates are on the same datum as Wetherly's. I think Garmin comes preset with WGS84. A lot of Wetherlys are older and might be using an older datum.
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Waypoints Reply with quote

I guess my first question would be: have you checked the Wetherley waypoint coordinates against plotted coordinates on a chart? I always thought that waypoint books had some sort of disclaimer on the accuracy of their coordinates.

Dave
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 188C on our last boat, and loved it...fantastic unit. I never had any waypoint accuracy problem. Maybe a call to Garmin?

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 188C Waypoint Inaccuracy Reply with quote

We did...I have a couple of thoughts: (A) zoom level affects where you see a route going - I often see a route going over land on the base map with Coastal Explorer until I zoom in to get chart-level detail (I assume that is not what you are experiencing, though) and (2) I would suspect Wetherly's coordinates before I would fault the Garmin 188C chatplotter. But of course I really don't know, just guessing here.

c-dancer wrote:
Pat (Daydream), I know you have good experience with the Garmin 188C so chime in at any time.
Peter

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 188 and experianced the same thing using the internal base chart. I recently purchased a "Blue Chart" cartriage and well see if this makes the differance. With the base chart I was motoring in the middle of the Hudson Rive and it was showing ..at times...that I was on land.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. Sailor-d, I'll check the Wetherly waypoints vs the charts and see if they're accurate. Pat, I know what you mean about the zoom effect but I'm pretty sure it was showing our courseline on land either zoomed in or out. Lloyds, good idea about checking the datum setting. Stanley-J, I do have the BlueChart chip and wasn't using the internal base chart. 416-Rigby, I love the Garmin 188C as well, very user friendly for a newbie.

What a great site, thanks C-Brats!
Peter
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Garmin & Waypoints Reply with quote

While useing a Garmin hand held in the Gulf of Mexico near Belize I had the same expierence. We were in deep water but the GPS showed us right on top of a reef. Luckly we had a pilot on board and he told me the charts were incorrect as they were made before GPS and the Lat and Long were incorrect. My little Garmin was doing a fine job- the chart was at fault.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my understanding, the problem lies in the datum disparity between your GPS and the inherently less accurate, land-based surveys used to compile the charts.

Have you noticed that when you follow your return route track, you are right where you should be, even if it shows you running over land?

I've fiddled with the datum offset on my GPS only to find that if I set it for one area of our cruising area, it now is way off in another. So I've learned to just chock it up to the nature of the beast. I'd trust the GPS coordinates more than the underlaid chart.

Al

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin & Waypoints Reply with quote

teflonmom wrote:
While useing a Garmin hand held in the Gulf of Mexico near Belize I had the same expierence. We were in deep water but the GPS showed us right on top of a reef. Luckly we had a pilot on board and he told me the charts were incorrect as they were made before GPS and the Lat and Long were incorrect. My little Garmin was doing a fine job- the chart was at fault.
Similar experiences in Barkley Sound when off the outside of Gibraltor Island. Some uncharted rocks, also, but that's another problem!

In the Columbia River, muddling along the Prairie Channel, my Garmin shows me traveling over islands which clearly have eroded since the time of original charting, maybe some 70-80 years ago (?).

Charting done today using GPS technology would correct these systematic errors in the chart. The old charts, however, seem to do a good job showing landforms and overall shoreline configuration -- just offset a bit in lat/lon. Many of us navigated "by sight" along tricky shores in the old days, and did OK. Now we know the chart is off, because we have a GPS to tell us that. It would be a mistake to blindly follow the GPS.

416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never used the GPS without the Blue Chart chip installed, so maybe it does make a difference...more accurate with the chip? I did notice that a couple of buoys here were not in the right place on the GPS...one of them was almost 200 yards off from where the GPS chart said it should be...talked to the buoy guys at work and they said they occassionally move them a bit and you should always look out the window to compare the chart as the charts get updated, but the GPS chips may not have the most current data...good idea.

Rick
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

416rigby wrote:
We've never used the GPS without the Blue Chart chip installed, so maybe it does make a difference...more accurate with the chip? Rick
I think the error in my case (Barkley Sound) was in the original charting from which the BlueChart is taken, so the BlueChart can't be any more accurate than that. Mind, the errors were on the order of a couple hundred feet or less, such that anybody running a hundred yards off the shoreline would be OK ... except for the odd uncharted rock, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: