The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twins on 16 ?!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefoot

City/Region: St. Johns River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Altered Attitudes
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Twins on 16 ?!! Reply with quote

The 16 Cruiser is now said to be due in 11 days and we are still debating engines. For something that seems not to have been discussed here yet, what about twin 25s, for all the reasons for twin engines, especially for my intended uses? It would cost more (OK), be about 50# heavier (move one gas can or battery), and may require different props (yes? / available?). Speculation is heartily invited.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool.....one consideration that is often overlooked in the twin, single debate is the controls. You're going to take up twice as much room at the helm with the twin controls
hughpenk

City/Region: Waterford--Intersection of Hudson River/Chaimplain Canal and Mohawk River Erie Canal
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
Photos: CD 16 (hughpenk)
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting, one question is do most dual engine 22' operators use the motors in forward and reverse for tight quarters docking? The single motor seems to handle the boat well for docking as it is. You would have to add additional battery or run 2 motors off one battery. You might have a hard time fitting in a electric trolling motor or a swim platform for that matter. I like the trolling motor on the transom as it is easier to operated from the cock-pit. If the 25 is a 2 cylinder it may not be as smooth as a 40 or 50 HP. An additional 50lbs on a 16 is somewhat a consideration, having 3 large people on the cruizer gives the boat a hole different feel than solo riding. If the weights of the different motor combinatons were the same it would be an easier decision.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hughpenk

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new boat!

Is there room for two motors on the CD-16 transom? I don't really know.

First of all, my gut reaction is that you don't really need them and they would be an unnecessary complicaition.

Besides the reasons already given for doluble thinking the twins on the 16 issue, I can add this one:

Some of us tend to overload these boats with too many different options and extra features as it is, even on tghe 22's and 25's. So much so, that after a few years, to add something new, something older must come off.

To start off with over complicating the boat with an unnecessary pair of twins, is to use up some of your space for options before you start adding things that actually increrase the functions available on the boat.

Modern 4 stroke engines are so reliable that the twins reliability issue is moot for just about anything except 100 mile offshore trips.

If it were me, I'd save my money and get something I really needed on the boat.

As a matter of fact, I'd make a list of all the possible options, then prioritize them, so that I could eventually fit as many in as possible and plan out the budgeting process, if necessary.

Hope this isn't too blunt, but this is how I feel.

Good luck with your new boat!!!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things to consider with twin 25/30's.

- No EFI option. Suzuki and Yamaha (and perhaps others) now offer EFI on 40-60HP motors. Easier starting, and better fuel economy.

- What pair of 25 outboards weighs just 50 lbs. more than a single 40/50? From the quick checking I did (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha), it's 150-165 lbs. of additional weight. And as mentioned earlier, you'll need an extra battery - add another 50-60 lbs. For a boat with a limited payload, that's a big chunk.

- The big unknown. I've seen the question asked before, but to my knowledge, nobody has done it. It would be a very expensive mistake if it didn't work out, for whatever reason. A single 40-50 is a known quantity, and the boat performs beautifully with this setup...I'd not be willing to risk that.

It's an interesting concept, but I'd not be willing to be the guinea pig... Laughing

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new boat.

I have to agree with the above. There is no reason for twins. Maneuverability will be no better, there is the weight and room factor.

I go offshore with single motors all of the time--and have never had a failure I could not fix in the last 30 years with an outboard.

I think a far better plan would be to buy a kicker, if you want a back up engine--and use it for a trolling motor etc. I have a 3.5 hp Nissan which I used for the dingy and trolling; it will push the 22 at 3 to 4 knots in smooth water. You can even keep the kicker inside of the boat if you want.

If I could get a single on the new cat, I probably would...although that might be far more subject to debate.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot,
I for one, am all in favor of twins on a 16' C-Dory. I dated twins in high school. Embarrased ........'er, wait a minute you're referring to engines?

Seriously, I had a 16' Cruiser with a 50 HP Honda, 8 HP kicker and swim step and if I had to do it again I would stay with that.

That being said, I now have a 22' Cruiser with twin Johnson 50's and a swim step and am completely happy with that choice and if I were to do it again I'd stay with the twin set up I have now.

Given the reasons others have already mentioned I'd stay with a single on a 16'. Save the twins for the 22'.

(Yes, I do use the twins to their advantage...ie: one forward/one reverse) Smile .

C-Brat #16
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefoot – listen to the advice from the members that have responded. I have a 16 cruiser and weight is the single biggest factor in rigging and loading the boat. When I purchased my boat it came with a 50 HP Honda and an 8 HP Honda kicker. I have since taken the kicker off because of the weight issue. Bill is right about the twin 25’s weighing more than 150 lbs more than a 50.

If you have the swim platform on your boat, you can not put twins on it anyway.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag,

Check out the new Mercury 25 EFI (http://www.mercurymarine.com/25_efi). It weighs in at 157lbs.

Consider this. A Honda 50 weighs in at 205lbs. And a Honda 8 hp kicker is 107lbs. So when you look at it that way the twin 25's would be within a few pounds of having a main/kicker combination. I would venture to guess that the 25 will be great for trolling. I use my old '74 Johnson 25 to troll on my 14' Columbian all the time and it works fine(well it used to, now it is just tired and needs to be rebuilt/replaced).

barefoot

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and enlightening discussion so far. Thank you all.

As to weight, Google says the Yamaha 50 and E-tec 40/50 are 240# and two Honda 20s together are but 16# more (58# over the Honda 40/50) --and they can be started with a lawn tractor battery and charge a remote Optima with the same 40/50HP Honda 10A alternator --each. Besides, they look so fine.

I'll do no trolling, 50% manatee and other no-wake zones, 30% open water, and 20% shallow places with mud and logs. My thought was to go in on one engine and if it were damaged or plugged up, pole or paddle back a few feet, raise it, and lower the other. At mostly speeds that slow, unlike limping home, the props for open water shouldn't be a problem. Besides, they look so fine.

The mention of locating a swim step is a poser. I'd need at least a swing-down ladder mounted way off-center, as I'm no longer agile enough to re-board without one, nor, considering the confines of the V-berth, those other 20-something twins.... Damn, they looked so fine.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefoot wrote:
As to weight, Google says the Yamaha 50 and E-tec 40/50 are 240# and two Honda 20s together are but 16# more (58# over the Honda 40/50) --and they can be started with a lawn tractor battery and charge a remote Optima with the same 40/50HP Honda 10A alternator --each.

Ahhh...in your first post, you mentioned 25's. The 20 is a completely different beast.

Far be it from me to discourage somebody from tackling something new...heck, it's always nice to have somebody up front to take the arrows or bask in the glory. Mr. Green

Last thought I'll leave you with...noise. With an open cabin boat like the 16/19, all noise from the engines shoots forward and reverberates in the cabin. Sure, modern 4-strokes are quiet...but I'm willing to guess, a single EFI Suzuki would be the best choice one could make if this was a concern. They seem to be the quietest motors, and I can't imagine a pair of Hondas would be as quiet as any single. Also...those Honda 20's are a twin cylinder design. They are very smooth as trolling motors go, but my guess is, a pair of them might have quite a bit more vibration than any of the larger singles. Which again, with a boat this small, might be quite noticeable.

But, you are right...it would look cool. For that reason alone, I'll plop you on the front page should you take the plunge... Laughing
gljjr

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefoot,

Take a look at putting a jet pump on the 50. You WILL lose some performance but for shallow water running it could be a great way to go.
cyberfish2

City/Region: Grass Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: Captain Grampa
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Twin motors on 16 Cruiser Reply with quote

I have a 40 and an 8 Suzuki on my 1992 Cruiser16. I installed a 12 gal gas tank under the bunk to help with weight distribution. The same gas line feeds either engine, and I made a connecting rod so I can steer with both engines. However, the speed on the 8hp has to be set by hand. Pictures available on request. Laughing Idea Laughing
gljjr

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Board Cyberfish2! Sounds like we need Tyboo or Da Nag to set you up with a photo Gallery so that you can share some pics Smile
barefoot

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Twins on 16 ?!! Reply with quote

25 HP motors are all around and that's when I thought of two in place of a 40-50. I agree about too much weight on the 16, then online ran across Honda 20s, the only ones. Aha, that's it!

Alas no one much closer than the C-dory dealer has Hondas, so service is a problem. Jet outboards were popular a while here but our sand bottoms ruined them, gunkholing and power loading.

However, three places right around the corner stock Yahamas and one also has an E-tec 40, with a 50 on the way, my first choice now that my (other) fantasy about twins is over.

Your experience helped in reaching this decision. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: