The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Engines stalling?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mason C. Bailey

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: McNaughty III
Photos: McNaughty III
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Engines stalling? Reply with quote

On my recent trip to Neah Bay for the Halibut opener last week we had some heavy seas and bad wind waves on top of that. This is nothing unusual for the Washington coast. However it was disconcerting when heading towards the "Hole in the Wall" to get out in the ocean that I noticed that the boat felt sluggish and in fact one engine had shut down. It was easy to restart and I headed into the Hole in the Wall. I was going about as slow as I could because I could see ahead that it was very sloppy. The first wave picked us up and slammed us down hard and both engines stalled. Again they were easy to restart. The next wave did the same thing, both stalled and were restarted. The tide was sucking us out into the ocean, so we were soon through and into slightly less rough seas. The problem didn't occur again but I would like to understand why this would happen? The fuel tank I was running on was about half full. All electrical items would shut off momentarily as well but restart themselves within seconds. I can likely clean the fuse holder and fix the electrical aspect of the electronics. But I didn't think the engines were tied into the same circuit and should run with or without power?

So all you engine smart guys out there, please explain this to me. The boat has twin 40's, hondas and they are from 2003.

Thanks, Mason Craig Bailey on McNaughty III
Alasgun

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Engines stalling? Reply with quote

A dab of Corrosion Block (The green label version) should correct poor conductivity in the fuse panel. On the engine stalling thing, is it possible that you are sucking air some where,as in a small crack or hole in a fuel line. This is very possible in a system where you are drawing rather than pushing the fuel. The vacuum is broken during the rough sea pounding, letting in the tinniest amount of air and your engine stalls. I have experienced this only once but have been told it is not that uncommon.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mason,
Glad you are back out there and gladder you are back safely.
Ah the age old question, Spark or Gas. I favor a gas problem and the electrical problem to be more coincidence. With the standard set-up the engines share a line and pull from one tank to the fuel filter. The air in the line seems possible. Can you duplicate the problem by bouncing the fuel lines around?

Likely each engine has its own start battery? Do you have a third house battery? Either or both of these things would seem to negate an electrical cause.

Regards,

Mason C. Bailey

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

The boat has dual batterys but I'll have to check to see if one battery is dedicated to each motor. I know I can start the engines with the battery switch in the off position, so the power is coming directly from the battery(s). The boat was just serviced prior to the trip at the C-Dory factory, which included a new fuel filter. When I get a chance I could try bouncing the fuel lines but doubt I could replicate the jolts we were having on our way out!.

Thanks, McNaughty
james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that may need to be checked out is the ignition circuit (switch ect)...could be a connection problem, with the slamming causing it to manifest.

just an idea...

james

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at your negative ground. If it is common for all batteries and probably is, that is where I would start my search. A momentary brake in your ground will cause the engines to shut down and your electronics to quit also. I don’t believe it would be a gas problem. Just the fuel in the lines and the filter will keep your engines running for several minutes at slow RPM. From what you describe, everything quits on a hard jolt. The only thing common for all is the ground, which is why I say start there.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this sounds like an electrical problem. Like Dave I would first start by looking at your ground system. Having motors and electronics both shutting down means that you have a common problem to me. Clean the battery terminals, the connections at the battery switch and make doubly sure you have no corrosion on your ignition switch.
Mason C. Bailey

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave and Gary,

If I get the chance after my son's soccer practice tonight I'll check out all the terminals of both batteries.

McNaughty III
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, with the engines running, if the batteries got disconnected momentarily, wouldn't the alternators carry it through? After all, all the electrics that make the motor run are on the motor. And wouldn't the alternators blow up if the disconnect lasted very long?

I will point out that I don't have a clue why the motors crapped out, though I certainly hope that it doesn't happen to journey on. If those engines have carbs, it could be water bouncing up into the jets? How's that for a theory?

Boris
james

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has to be in the ignition circuit.

James
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a similar problem of the way to lopez. I haf just serviced the motors myself. When we tried to get on plane ( gave it gas.) it would run fine for 5 seconds and they run rough and die. restart no problem, open it up and the same thing. The gas line at the motor was hooked up but needed a little extra push until I heard it click. After that no more problem and full steam ahead. the plug was just off enought to allow air to be sucked in when we opened the throttles, but ran fine at just above idle. Go clean the plug and its connection, then re-plug until you hear it snap into place.
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNaughty III, Buckin Coho here. we exchanged brief "hallos" at Neah last week. You are a braver man than I - the water was a bit too piled up for me to venture beyond Mushroom Rock or Tatoosh.

I understand the pounding you took though. It's the only time I curse that flat hull and (blasphemously) look longingly at those Sea Sports and Ospreys....

I think you need to ask a Honda mechanic about what happened to you. It's serious. The electrical cut out is probably the best clue and my bet (like others), though only an educated guess, is ignition. Bear in mind at some point the cut out may not be temporary.

Let us know.
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mason C. Bailey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Engine Stalling Reply with quote

I appreciate everyones replies. It sounds to me that it is most likely the ground, since everything did go dead momentarily. That may also be what caused my washdown pump to stop working as well. Now I just need to find a little time to work on it.

Another question though, if both batteries are dead, would a person be able to pull start their engines? That is what I thought those pull cords were for. But if you need power, it's sort of a catch 22.........

Anyway, I'll definitely clean and tighten all the batter connections, clean all the fuse holders,etc. But the real test probably will not be until halibut season at Neah Bay next year!

Thanks everyone, McNaughty III
james

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad.
thats what you get for not reading the original post more carefully..

did not realise the electronics were shutting down also.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: