The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker Brand and Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Kicker Brand and Location Reply with quote

I am at the point where I don't trust my kicker anymore, and as I cross the Tillamook bar, I think it would be a good idea to have one that I consider reliable. My current kicker is a Honda 8 Classic, that is about vintage 1997. The dory is the 4th boat it has been on.

The reason that I no longer trust the engine is that it has on several occasions refused to start until I removed the plugs, dried and replaced them. The Honda mechanic at Garibaldi (Oregon) mentioned that the Classic 8s were well known to run cold, especially when trolling (which I do).

Has anyone out there used a Yamaha high thrust, or the new Honda 8? I would also like to move the kicker to the port side of the Honda 90 for better weight distribution. Has anyone done that, and if so, are there any hand steering issues? I think I will splurge and go for electric start and power tilt. I like the little Yamaha's, as they have a manual choke and you can get them to run cold, but would like to hear your opinions.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Post Script: The kokanee bite is definitely off at Lake Merwin. Skunked there for the first time ever today.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I had a Honda Classic 8 on my last boat (19' Arima.) It was a 1998 model and I was very happy with it. Never had to dry the plugs and I trolled a lot of hours with it. I think I might get a second opinion about the problem. Most people think of it as one of the most reliable kickers around.

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Honda classic on 3 boats. Always reliable and never a problem. I'd check with another mech. or bring it up here!!

Dusty

seabrook

City/Region: Merville, Canada
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: C-Brook
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Yamaha 8 HP High Thrust Reply with quote

I have a 05 22' cruiser with a Yamaha 90 & 8 High Thrust with electric start and power tilt. The 8 is mounted on the port side, the steering is by a quick disconnect bracket to the 90 which is actuated by a Baystar hyd system. Due to the off center thrust the steering requires relatively constant correcting but it is smooth and accurate. The only problem with this set up is with more than one passenger and/or with 20 gallons fresh water the port side is heavier and much more trim is required on that side. I think it would probably be better to have the 8 mounted on the starboard side. The 8 starts and runs perfectly, is quiet and extemely fuel efficient. At full throttle the boat reaches 7 mph, I usually gunkhole at 3-5 mph. With the fuel prices these days I am using the 8 more and more!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: