The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SpellCheck Difficulties with IMac Operating Systems (?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: SpellCheck Difficulties with IMac Operating Systems (?) Reply with quote

Has anyone else had difficulties with the SpellCheck using an IMac or other computer operating system? Since most members aren't apparently experiencing difficulties, I'm figuring that the problems I'm having must be attributable to this system I'm using. The SpellCheck highlights different words on the text than it suggests I change, then adds additional letters where change is desired without deleting the errant ones. Fortunately, we can always go back and edit a post after it's submitted. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's cool, Joe. That's the way I naturally type, adding extra letters and all.

Can't help you out on that one. Never seen one of them Imacs. Maybe 2nd Byte can come up with something. He's one of them Apple nerds.

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sea Wolf,

Forget that bull that Mike is spreading. I own a couple of Mac's it is true, but a "nerd" I am not. I still need help finding the "on" button and when I want to turn it off I just walk to the back of the house and pull the main breaker.

Ok, now I am gung to insert a fu tipos in har en sei effin
da spel chack wooks.

I ran the spell check and as you can see, there is nothing wrong with your iMac, nor is there anything wrong with my
G4 (running OS X, Jaguar). The problem is, apparently, that the spell check program that our resident "Nerd" has used a proprietory program which while working fine on MSFT's operating systems, fails to recognize a real operating system like the Mac. (hmmmm). I don't have a clue as to whether a viable spellcheck is available that will handle either operating systems or not. There is a real sharp guy with a red trimmed C-Dory around here somewhere who has an answer and will probably comment.

Oh yeah Mike, thanks for the referal. Happy to "bail" a fellow C-Brat out.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark- Nice to hear we're in the same boat! (in several ways)

We'll have to wait to see if Bill agrees about the source of the spelling problem. The easy solution would be to type in in another word processing program, checking the spelling, then put it on the clipboard, and then finally import it into the site dialogue box. Thanks! Joe.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Mac guys will get no grief from me - I'd love to have one of them new fangled Dual G5's with UNIX under the hood. This is NOT a Windows-only environment; I despise sites that take that attitude. The Internet is supposed to based on standards - standards that allow anything to work, anywhere.

OK Bill - take a deep breath. Off the soap box...

I don't have a Mac to test things with, so it may take a bit of back and forth to get things sorted out.

First, there is a slightly newer version of the Spell Checker software. I'll see if it addresses this particular problem.

However, I think it's probably a browser issue, most likely in how JavaScript is handled - not an OS issue per se. What Mac browser are you guys using?

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill I'm using Internet Explorer 5.1 from MSN on and IMac with OS 9.0. Joe
Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I'm also using Explorer 5.1 with a Mac G4, 933mhz, OS X (Jaguar) as well as a G3 laptop running the same browser and OS.

I also have Mac's Safari 1.1.1 and Camino .07 browsers loaded and none of them seem to the work with the site's spell checker.

Really not a big deal for me as I am used to my mixing, deleting and overusing and abusing my written version of my native tongue. I fear though that it creates problems for the poor souls who might want to read what I attempt to write.

Yeah, it would be so cool to have one of the new dual G-5's.
I'm expecting a G-5 laptop to be out shortly and I'm looking at that to replace my old laptop......my wife says dream on.
Maybe.........after the Wallas.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mac Dudes - I haven't forgotten about you, just a little busy of late.

Try the following for me - here's a link to the author's demo site with the latest version of the Spell Checker installed. Give it a try, and let me know how things work.

If it still no-worky, I'll forward the details on to the author of the software. If things work, I'll upgrade the software here.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Thanks for the efforts! Unfortunately, the system referenced exhibits the same problems as the one already in usage, at least when I typed in the same errors that were discovered with the one presently installed. Let's wee what the other Mac users (Mac-abusers) find out! Thanks! Joe.
Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, but the spell check is still not Mac friendly. As I said before, it's no big deal, so don't lose any sleep over this.

My failing is in not reading a message carefully before I launch it. Now, if I could get a better signal from my gray matter to my fingers I would have it made. Blut then I could always just open my eyes.

In the meantime .................roll, errr, boat on baby!
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you two - the developer of the spell check software is willing to fix things if you can give him some feedback - he has no Mac to test on.

Scroll near the bottom of this page, and you'll see my post and the developer's response. It would be great if one or both of you could contact the guy.

Thanks!
wilbe asea

City/Region: Kenai
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sunset Ride
Photos: Sunset Ride
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a G4/450 running OSX 10.3 (Panther), using Safari 1.2 (since MS quit making Internet Explorer in response to Apple making Safari). I also get no use from the spellcheck, all I get is a blank screen titled phpSpell when I click the spell check button, so I have to do it the old way, proofread.
Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I guess that's the penalty us Mac folks have to pay in exchange for using a "superior" operating system, eh eh. I've got a G-4 @ 933mhz, 10.2.1 Jaguar, using both Explorer 5+ and Safari, and same deal here. Since I'm an old laid back kind of guy, I don't get too out of shape when my fingers head in one direction and my mind wanders off subject, leaving a minefield of misplaced characters in my wake.

Bill "King Nerd" Da Nag had a Mac knowledgeable guru lined up to resolve the
spell check/Mac problem, but he needed someone with a clue as to what he/she was doing and a Mac computer to trouble shoot and/or figure a way to make the spell check work with the Mac. The "knowledgeable" part of that left me out of the loop. Maybe Bill could put you & the Mac/man together and it could get worked out.

Betcha spring doesn't get here before the snow fiies!
wilbe asea

City/Region: Kenai
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sunset Ride
Photos: Sunset Ride
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about Snow coming before Spring, here we have had the blustery spring weather, warm enough to tease that Spring is coming, but the snow on the ground doesn't seem to be going anywhere very fast. On awakening in the morning there always seems to be some new white stuff, that turns to water before days end.

I have emailed both DaNag and the developer of phpSpell of my willingness to help, not sure I can but will try.
Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the spell-checker venture. It would be neat if that could be made workable on the Mac's. I'll watch for the results and/or progress.

I've been thinking about getting down your way this summer. Been several years since I've been able to pull myself away from Valdez and PWS so I am overdue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: