The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting handicapped people onto and off a boat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosmic C

City/Region: St Lawrence River & Bucks Cty
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cosmic C
Photos: Cosmic C
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Getting handicapped people onto and off a boat. Reply with quote

I have a situation where a friend needs to be able to get his wife, who is barely able to walk with a walker let alone climb into a boat, on and off his boat so they can continue enjoying their summer place on an island in the St Lawrence river a little longer. They are both in their 80's, so he is no longer that strong, and they are looking for a lift or small crane which they can attach to their boat. I would guess the wife weighs at least 220 lb. Does anyone know of any such equipment? I suggested a big helium balloon, but for some reason wasn't taken seriously.

I (and they) would be grateful for any suggestions.

Patrick
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cosmic ! My younger sister travels via scooters. You might try starting at pridemobility.com and/or spinlife.com for starters. Basically, if mobility and getting around is the issue, once my sister gave up the walkers and crutches, after about 7 differant operations and 15 years of re-hab attempts, and went to scooters...her entire life started over with much more independance and freedom.

Basically, booms are made just for scooters, that can be mounted on the gunnels of the boat to lift the scooters. Lift for the vehicle, a lift for the scooter on the boat, .... you get the idea. There are many varieties...and just like boats the prices range a great deal...getting what you pay for.

Keep in mind how many times they will get into/out of their boat, and the many...many varied docking facilities and set ups. The long and the short of it is that there is no easy fix all. We often just have to ask for help, call ahead, and work around. Where there is a will ....there is a way.

Good luck in your research and helping your friends. The folks that use and install these things have some very good advise/ideas on what works and what does not. Give a call, go see some dealers, educate yourself. Insurance and other agencies can also often help in the purchase/installation of the equipment too. Keep us posted.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is their boat and how much space in the cockpit? What could work will depend on this.
Cosmic C

City/Region: St Lawrence River & Bucks Cty
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Cosmic C
Photos: Cosmic C
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, Byrdman. Rogerbum, they have a 26' Limestone. Big cockpit but with the motor box right in the middle, which really complicates things.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On trawler type boats I have seen a short ramp running from the dock to the swim step and then they roll through the transom door. Otherwise, a lift from the stern is about the only way.
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've seen the same issues at our Marina, but the approach was a bit different. The customers (two in this case) begins looking for a boat that meets the needs and space limits of the people in wheelchairs (in our case) their adult kids (in their 30's, in good health and low body weight). The big engine box is an instant deal killer. Looking for something with low gunnales (opposite the C-Dory look) and outboard engines. We've sold two Pioneer Boats www.pioneerboats.com for that reason. Doubt that is the style boat for someone in their 80's, but to build a crane, well, seems that they are clinging to that one boat at all costs.
Please consider suggesting (delicately) that they consult with the Marina for a possibly different slip/boarding location and other proactive solutions. The Marina should do everything in its power to make things work for the customer. They also should be a good source of ideas for seat mods and other boat tricks to make sitting and driving easier.
Other than that, what Byrdman says. Ask and you shall receive.
Or you could see what helium sells for in bulk...
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they need a trawler with a mast and boom. Put a seat on the boom and swing her into the cockpit. Smile

Barring that they might look at putting in a side door on the gunnel so she doesn't have to go up and over the gunnel to get in. I've seen several boats with this feature. That would of course require a self bailing cockpit.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if they are use to the Limestone boat...if I have the correct boats in mind.... I think they are of the Hunt design and/or history...they are use to a very dry smooth ride. TC255 anyone? Modify the bulkhead as to allow a scooter to pull thru....or a CD25....and could use a sliding door like on the Orca boats.. door height is not an issue when on a scooter, and one you are use to it... no big deal and you save the swing back room in the cockpit as to make moving about in the scooter better too. And... I bet wit a little doing... some type of opening door on a side gunnel "might be" do-able if engineered from the get-go.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Limestone looks like a sweet boat!

http://www.markellisdesign.ca/index_files/Page457.htm
john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: lifts Reply with quote

I worked in the medical equipment field for some time. Check out Hoyer Lifts
on the internet or a local medical equipment supply. Don't fall over at the
list price and also don't pay that. You can often find them used for 25% of
less of list. Medical stores also have used rental returns or you may consider
renting yourself. They would "kina" work like a small crane and come with
a weigh rateing which would handle your friend.
CoolSmile john schuler CoolSmile
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this post, you friend my find it more cost effective to find a boat that would better serve he and his wife. Boston Whaler's can be fitted with a Dive Door that would allow them to enter the boat at dock level, providing they have a floating dock. There are some out there if you search them out.

If you can't find one, I just happen to have a 22' Revenge that can have one added to for a reasonable sum.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: