The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

France Canal Boat C-Brat gathering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: France Canal Boat C-Brat gathering Reply with quote

It's Rich's fault! He started it. He mentioned that he'd done a French Canal boat trip. Then Bill wondered if any others would be interested in doing a C-Brat cruise on the France Canals.

El & Bill and Rick & Carol from Maine are interested in doing a France Canal tour next spring. Are any other C-Brats interested? The rental boats can luxuriously accomodate 2 or more couples. There are many different canal cruise locations in France with weeklong cruises. The different locations offer different cruising times, i.e. how many hours per day on average that will be traveled, and different scenery.

If other C-Brats are interested we can go together and share rental boats. Once we see who's interested, we can figure out which area we'd go to. ( Maybe some C-Brat out there knows which canals are most scenic or offer the most interesting sites)

Rick from Maine
colvosview

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-heeto
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you hear nothing but glowing reports about these cruises, so I'm going to throw in a small wet blanket based on a trip my wife and I did in 2002. Actually this probably won't be an issue with more people on board, but with only the two of us on a small boat, the frequent locks were a real source of stress. It's not unusual to go through a dozen sets of locks in a day, and we never figured out a good system for going upstream. Sometimes we'd look for a place to drop the wife on shore before we got to the lock, so she could be there as I scrambled from the steering station to the deck to toss a line up to her. This could be really squirrelly with some of the strong currents we encountered. Or maybe we'd decide to both stay on board to try and lasso the overhead bollards once we were in the lock. Or, best case, maybe the lock keeper or someone from another boat would offer to catch a line for us, bless their hearts! At any rate, it was all so stressful that when we got to a nice spot after a couple of days, my wife refused to go any further. At least then we could relax and bicycle to villages and wineries.
Locking downstream was a piece of cake, so we've since advised couples to pay the extra fee to do a one-way trip downstream. Also, the bigger boats allow you to jump from the cabin roof to the shore when you're in an empty lock, which is a big help. Our roof wasn't designed to support a person and had keep off stickers on it, but I used it as a launch pad a couple of times when all else failed. Just forget going up those ladders that the rental brochures talk about. They were so slimy that trying to climb up one was an invitation to falling between the boat and the wall of the lock. I never saw anyone use one.

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

At this time, we would love to make it. Depends upon a lot of pending things happening to us the way we want them to. Great idea.

By the way, MESSING ABOUT IN BOATS, May 1st issue has an article about Canal Cruising in the Heart of France. Just got it.

If you are serious, I have a guy in the travel business who could put this together. He boats with me.

Fred Heap

fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count us in, any time is good just remember, the sooner the better, we are not getting any younger. We should go while "all the women are still strong and the men are still good looking." Best to figure at least a two week time period, with about 7-8 days on the canal. See www.franceafloat.com

Rich

Last edited by fiddlersgreen6 on Thu May 04, 2006 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could potentially be interested in this. The boat rental site that was mentioned on the other thread specifically talks about 108km lock-free round trip. That might be easier for some.

I'd kind of like a trip that was something like - (1/2-1 day boating - 2 days in a cool place to visit, explore, drink wine and eat) - repeat many times for about 10-14 days total.

jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw in BoatUS Magazine an ad for Crown Blue Line, a Canal Boat outfit too. Newer boats it looked like not like the
" classic" looking ones. Interesting , kinda like those Norman Boats in England.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All--- for those who are interested, the two following sites give a real good overview about canal cruising in France on the Canal du Nivernais, and about what to expect and what not to expect.

http://the-hamiltons.tripod.com/France1/

http://home.zonnet.nl/mouringh.Marga/Nivernais_eng.htm

Enjoy- Rich
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-- Yes, you have the right formula for the canals, sounds good to me and maybe even a stop at a few B&B's along the way. Rick how does that sound to Carol and you? Who is going to start the sign up sheet?

Rich
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick --
Are you THE MAN? Poke through the data, pick a trip, see if folks like it, get some dates, costs (maybe that boating travel agent friend of Fred's) and start a signup -- eh?? We're no help since we are off site for a month or so as we trundle up the BC coast, but we're sure interested in going.

Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: 2007 France Canals Reply with quote

Bonjour Ami, ( I'm practicing)

Yes, I'll start finding options and post them on this site to get preferences. It's good to see so many interested C-Brats and so much info available on the web. Lets first figure out a region/Canal and a time frame and then some boats. I'll start querying those who've done it before to find any No-Gos. I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge from everyone.

Rick from Maine
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have only done the "Fixed mast" routes, since out mast was 64 feet high, it had a number of limits, in Belgium and Holland. It was easily done with a 62 foot boat my wife and two pre teen children (Our own boat). A friend has their own 50 foot Canal boat and have done nearly all of the Canals of France. Yes, there is some work, but they keep going back and are in their late 70's.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: 2007 France Canal boat trip Reply with quote

I haven’t fallen asleep. I’ve been doing my homework. The internet has some great sites on France Canal Cruising. With over 6,000 miles of river/canal cruising in at least 5 different geographic regions to choose from, it’s Mind Boggling.

I’ve taken books out from the local library, and ordered one from Amazon to get more info.

Based on David Salge’s report, I’ve been focusing on One-Way trips with the minimum number of locks. I’ve found some that are 100 – 200 km long with less than 30 locks.

In a few weeks I’ll provide a list of options.

In the meantime, I’d appreciate getting specific information from anyone who has done a France Canal trip ( either on the site or thru e-mail). Types of info I’m interested in are:
Which Canal, Which Boat Company, Type/size of boat? Sites & Hi-lites seen? Weather/date? Other info that might influence decisions.

Rick from Maine
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all-- Mid May, June, or Sept, to mid Oct. are probably the best times to be on the canals, less traffic, and these are USUALLY the months of the best weather, it can get very warm in July and Aug. especially on steel barges and these barges don't really get a whole lot of air circulation, being below the level of the surrounding landscape. The furthur you get away from these months the more days of rain or unplesant weather you can expect. Also stay away from the cheapest weekly rates.

France has several climatic zones within the country itself, Brittany is usually the wetest, the Mediterranean is usually the driest.

Paris, is always very crowded the first two weeks of Oct. each year with the annual Auto Show. Just something to think about-- Rich
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All----For those who are interested, the Fiberglass canal boats(Penichettes) that look like a cross between a C-Dory and a Fisher can be found at www.locaboat.com

There is also a good article with lots of pictures concerning a Penichette cruise on the Canal du Midi. -------Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: