The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sliding Door for C-Dory Cabin??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Sliding Door for C-Dory Cabin?? Reply with quote

Am I the only C-Dory owner who has been aboard one of the other boats built at our factory, the Orca boat.... and simply loved the way the cabin door slides open rather than swinging open? Wonder if they could make these work on our C-Dorys... Hummm. No more stepping out of the way as the door swings open....and yes...you can put "stuff" there because you do not have to worry about the door swinging open...

Byrdman
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Pat, I too love the sliding door on the Orca and even asked Jeff about doing the same on a CD at the SBS. There's two things about the Orca that differ from our CD's that permit a sliding door on them and not on the CD. First the Orcas have a much flatter roof line, second the design has the aisle in the cabin slightly offset from center. This allows the door to be placed a little off center and slide to the left. I don't think the slider would work on the CD's.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad thing about the sliding doors is that you cannot attach anything to the aft side of the bulkhead where the door will slide. On the C-Dories, just a simple door stop will allow one of those folding seats or some rod/net holders to be mounted. John So, it is a mixed blessing....
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points... and I had the solid clear door on the TC24 so the ability for me to "use" the door was not there....other than something with those little suction cup dillies on them...which are really good for getting use to putting stuff in them....comfortable....then they and their contents hit the floor. I loved my thermometer with the little frog on it. That frog listened very well late night....early mornings and did not complain about missing sleep... CoolSmile Teeth Smile Beer Cocktail Clock Embarrased

Yes, I have seen many things mounted on the doors. Still not sure that a door with about gunnel high of the useable component, and the top 2/3rds the clear stuff would not be a good door...
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just need A door now Byrdude.
When the door s open, it's taller than the roof , twood make it tough to fab up any kind of decent looking track

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught thinking out loud again-

Any sliding door that would work on an existing Cruiser would have to be cut down in size because of roof and floor curvatures and the top and bottom of the doorway filled in so much that the step over at the bottom and the head clearance at the top would make entry into the cabin much more difficult. A head banger and toe tripper for sure.

The new full-length doors certainly look more modern, but I'm wondering if that visibility back and forth from the cabin to the cockpit at the lower level is typically worth loosing the mouning space on the bottom half of the door and going through the need to cover more area with curtains for privacy.

How about making a Dutch Door out of the traditional Classic/Cruiser wooden door with a fixed window? There are certainly days here where a half open, half closed set up would be very comfortable.

Or one could add an opening window instead of the fixed one. It could have 1) a bottom half that slides up, like most pilothouse center windows, 2) a top hinged window like the one in the front center of the C-Dory, or 3) a Jalouse (sp?) window made up of several glass panels that rotate like a Venetian blind (the type used on many RV's). With this exit screened, it might make natural and fan assisted ventilation a more viable option as oposed to closing everything up and running air conditioning in hot humid climates.

Can anyone see a great enough utility in any of these to justify them in your usage?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes Joe I can for sure.... especially with a good 1st mate on board in the cabin..... and you and a friend in nice shaded chairs in the cockpit...watching the sun set or fishing....

Ya could just holler-out to er... " Baby....Sensuous up.... hand us another couple of beers thru the door please...."

Now, of course just how the cans were received would for sure be largely dependant on how she felt about being called sensuous in the 1st place..... I guess. Could be why I boat alone so much!! Beer
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about both the opening window idea (expensive) and the dutch door (cheap). I like the dutch door idea best. First because it will be fairly easy to do when I rebuild my bulkhead. and I think it will provide a lot better ventilation flow. I also like having the bottom of the door available for some sort of hanging bag for cockpit storage. Since the 18 doesn't have the little shelves under the gunnels like a 22 does cockpit storage is a big issue for all those little things you want handy when fishing.
Norm

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about one of those hanging, beaded, 60's style doors? good ventilation, not so good for locking the boat up Smile
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freebyrd-

Actually, Patrick, I can see you on the roof with your buddy and two sensous woimen, a remote control, and a dumb water (not one of the gals) connected to the refrigerator through the roof. Maybe you could use your military connections to get some form of automated ammunition supply system used on about a 105 mm cannon to hustle the beer cans upstairs from the refer?

Norm S-

Now you're thinking-

Lots of possibilities since you're building your own bulkhead! Joe and Ruth of R-Matey built an excellent bulkhead on a 19 that might be of interest to you. Look in their album, they did a great job!

B~C -

Yup, get out those bell-bottoms, tie-dyed shirts, and grow back the beard! Maybe you can also get Marge to dress up on a gypsy outfilt, get a neon "Palms Read" sign for the side window, and go into business down on the Portland waterfront on the weekends as "Madame LaFarce". Beer money, anyway!

Joe.
Norm S

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, agree they did a great job. Fortunately my boat, unlike byrdmans' does already have the bulkhead and door. It's just kinda hammered from 20 yrs of neglect. I refinished it with cetol last summer and it helped but the fake woodgrain they used back then didn't hold up to the elements too well. I could just paint it but the boss likes the wood look so I will eventually duplicate it in teak ply. Spendy but I know that if she isn't happy I sure as heck won't be. When I do I'll just move the window up a bit so I can have enough space between it and the latch to make it a dutch door.
Norm
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Joe and B-C.... it would not be complete without the lava lamp up there too... Hey, I think I have one up in the atic... Hummm Talk about a sundowner.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I suddenly hear Iron Butterly playing Inagadanaveda.... Note all 17 minutes and 3 seconds of it in my head.... Note Note

Ya gotta Hug love Hug those days...at least the ones we remember. Love

Wow...another miricale that I live thru that.... Mr. Green CoolSmile Teeth

Inagadanaveda baby....don't ya know that I'll always be true...
Note Moon Rainbow Cocktail Beer Cigar Wink
Norm S

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman....I read somewhere that if you can remember the 60s and 70s YOU WEREN'T THERE!
Norm
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this thread a bit...

Thought I'd chime in and tell my thoughts...

I too would like to use the space behind the door... I'd like to mount a couple of jump seats to the bulkhead. You can see them here:

http://orrorr.com/productNEW.asp?TID=%7B3797566E-A1FE-497D-9309-34BDAA9C1E2C%7D&IID=387

I have seen them at $138.00. The nice thing is that when you stand they automatically fold up, out of the way... more room for landing "the big one."

But what to do with that door?

Here's my idea. Swap out the hinges for pin style hinges. The door works as always. But you can open the door, lift up and the door comes off the hinges... turn it lengthwise and make a place for it aft laying sideways at the rear just in front of the engine area. It's out of the way, yet available. When in place, closed and locked it can not be lifted off the hinges. Shouldn't take too much to do this and I think it should work out OK. I have noticed that when I am fishing the door is usually latched open anyway.

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: