View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Shrimpin Q's Reply with quote

Allright Lopez is around the corner so I must ask a couple questions from the shrimp gods. I have shrimped before in hood canal and did pretty well. But we were fishing about 250 feet down. It sounds like the current is stronger and some of the spots are alot deeper. I have 300 feet of leaded line on my shrimp pot. Is that going to be enough for this area? Obviously I wont be fishing much deeper than 250-260 feet. And as far as weight what do you guys suggest. Before I just threw a ten lb downrigger ball in the pot for weight but I have also seen them weighted with two bricks recently? How much weight do you guys generally use. And any favorite bait? I know puss and boots was the standard but they are not supposed to have any around this year. Last time we mixed some of that with some herring and mackerel. And it seemed to work. Just trying to finish the prep for this weekend. Thanks for any help.

Sark
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't no shrimp guru - but my take. You have plenty of line for early in the season - good shrimp at 240. Any fish flavored cat food will work. Mix 50/50 with canned mackrel. My special mix is just for the mixer - not for the shrimp Rolling Eyes --

Perfect tide this week-end, right at max neap... my guess is that current will be less than 1.0 knots. Check Spring Passage currents which are very close to Jones.. Weight? depends on your pots. My pots weigh 50 pounds and I don't use any additional weight in the Jones area. Use an anchor on the south end of Lopez and pray a lot!! Don't we Roger??

HTH

Dusty

SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dusty, on my knees the whole time....lol....
I use the yellow three strand nylon for main line. I have 300 ft of it then top it off with 75 ft. of lead line. My pots weigh about 35 lbs. so I use a small anchor on the end of the rope and then put two pots about ten feet apart on the same line.

I have hooked derelict pots several times with the anchor while pulling my pots. I have three extra pots now....lol....

I like the canned cat food mixed with mackeral and use dry cat food for filler. works well. as the dry soaks up water it expands and pushes the other mix out of the holes.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: