The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

50hp or 40hp on a 16ft cruiser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheelzman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: 50hp or 40hp on a 16ft cruiser? Reply with quote

What are the pros and cons of going with a 50hp motor over the 40hp on a 16ft cruiser. I would be carrying 2 adults and a toddler most of the time. Maybe another adult occasionally? Let me know what you think Smile
russoboat

City/Region: Southampton, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Porgy Man
Photos: Porgy Man
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: 50Hp vs 40HP Reply with quote

I have a 16' Angler with a 50HP Honda, different is only on RPM see below both are the same in all other spec's.

I'm 6'5" & I fish with two other adults, 50HP fine gets me where I want to go, I would have preferred more HP but this is the best for this size boat.

This is the differences:

ENGINE 50HP
Full Throttle RPM Range 5500-6000 RPM
HP Rating @ Propshaft 50HP @ 5750 RPM

ENGINE 40HP

Full Throttle RPM Range 5000-6000 RPM
HP Rating @ Propshaft 40HP @ 5500 RPM
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- I have been running a 50 hp Evinrude and an 8 hp Evinrude on my 16' cruiser and feel this is probably as close as you can get to the best setup, I sure wouldn't want any less hp. The economy is great, You can still pull a water skier & I can still run and keep up with the 22's all day long.

Rich
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelzman: I had a Honda 50 on my 16C on loved it. I did have two props for sure. One for just me and another and running about on day trips, and a second prop as a "travel loaded" prop. By travel loaded, I mean with myself and two other 200-250# guys, a 100 quart cooler and a 50 quart cooler, a small tent....a grill... about 10 gallon jugs of water.... and other stuff ya just need when going on a nice week long island hoping trip. Now the trip prop is seems from some old gray matter thinking was a 13" prop with 10 pitch maybe??? It was 3 blade. It did make the boat jump out of the water in about a boat length with just me and one person on board and you HAD to control the throttle as to not over rev the motor...but... when loaded, you could get on plane without folks having to move about and/or shift coolers about the boat. Did give up it seems something like 3 mph on top end.... but how often do you really run a 16 at top end? And... I liked having 2 props on board at all time with all the shallow waters and debree in the rivers too. I will attempt to find an old receipt or old email message for the trip prop size... Too long ago for mental recall.... but I did love this prop when loaded.....or, when the boat was loaded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: