The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/09 - 09/16 - Erie Canal Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Response to Nate Reply with quote

Nate:

1. I have the NY Canal Cruising Guide on order. Hopefully, it arrives in the mail next week.

2. We are spending the weekend at our cottage. It is located on L. Ontario about halfway between Rochester and Buffalo, immediately contiguous to Golden Hill SP (which you can find on the map). I'll report how much rainfall we get there over the weekend.

3. We keep the C-Dory at the cottage (on the lake). I'll measure that Porta-potti and email you this evening.

Wayne
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.

Am I correct that the speed limit on the Mohawk River part of the Erie Canal is a lot more than 10 miles/hour?

Rick, are you planning to stop along the way and explore? Also to eat?

Fred

Nate Leonard

City/Region: Locke
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Mohawk River Speed limit Reply with quote

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=375561

Above is story about the first run on Mohawk River at 45mph speed

Official word:
What is the speed limit on the Canal System?
Where NYS navigation law dictates it is 5 mph.
Lakes- no speed limit.
Rivers- 45 mph.
Landcut/rockcut-10mph.
(From - http://www.canals.state.ny.us/faq/index.html - NYS Canal website

Best,
Nate

Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please include Alma's Only on the reservation list for Saturday's dinner. Looking forward to seeing you all.

david

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: 2006 Eastern Canal Cruise Reply with quote

Great Dave, Glad you can make it.

Yeah Fred, I plan to stop at every opportunity like last year. Do you realize that last year we cruised for 6 days and Carol & I only had 1 meal that we prepared on our boat ( Picnic lunch at a lock on Monday noon). All the rest of our meals were with others at restaurants!

It looks like there aren't as many places with all the dockside services on this end of the canal. I sent Dun a spreadsheet of possible stopping places for each night, that he will forward when he gets everyone's e-mail address. I used Fred's strategy ( I know that's scary!) of going further on the first 2 days. It ends up that since there are fewer places it is best to go further the first few days. The itinerary uses 10 mph for the whole canal. If we get to go faster on the river, good but it won't change how far we go in a day by much since we spend so much time getting started and tieing up.

Rick & Carol from Maine
ffheap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Sounds great. At this time (Labor Day ) my crew is coming. We plan to leave Hingham on Thursday AM, Go to Seneca Lake State Park, Launch, and go up to Seneca Falls. Anybody on the same schedule? Last year Alma's Only was there before me. The reason for early is so if I run into problems, I will not be late. ( Sheila says that I am always an hour early to the Nantucket-Hyannis Boats, she just barely makes it.. Less stress for me.)

Rick, your schedule sounds just Hunky Dory.

Has everybody signed up by now? I see we have some new boaters. The more, the merrier. Boy are we merry.

Fred
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys and gals, last call for information. I still haven't heard from Wayne, Linger, and Ken120. If you are coming, please let me know with your cell phone number and email address so I can get you out some information. I'll do that by Wednesday.

Dun (CTYankee)
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great time! Here's a place for all the pictures.
Wayne McCown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Bon Voyage! Reply with quote

Dear C-Brat colleagues:

We trust you are having a great cruise. We enjoyed our time with you in Seneca Falls!

After leaving Seneca Falls, we headed west, back to our launch site at Seneca Lake State Park. Having passed through the lock, we noticed a nice dock on the north side of the canal, turned around and stopped for a tour of Waterloo.

What a pleasant experience! The canalside (town) park is lovely. It's a short walk (2 blocks) to Main Street (= Hwy 5 & 20). At the corner, we were warmly greeted by a local businessman, who directed us east to the downtown area; he also gave us an (unsolicited) recommendation for "a good place to eat." It was a good recommendation!

Connie's Diner is located about three blocks east of the downtown area, on the north side of Main Street. It is truly a Diner, in the 50s style, the best we have seen or experienced. Walking back through town, we met another local carpenter restoring a beautiful old home; he too engaged us in an extended, friendly conversation.

Don't bypass Waterloo on your way home!

We will be following your itinerary this week, and look forward to seeing the report and photos of your cruise. Maybe next year, we can squeeze out a bit more time.

Cordially, Wayne
Terry

City/Region: Attica,New York
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This is Dun using Terry's computer from Lock 20 Canal Park near Rome, NY. We're having hors d'oeuvres and cocktails and having Pizza delivered. Life is good!

We crossed Lake Oneida this morning in 20 kt winds. C-Dorys handled the square waves great. We had to say goodbye to Nate and Betsy this morning as they had to get back to work. Wayne and Darlene stayed one night with us and had to go back to work as well. Almas Only, Crescent Girl. Hunky Dory, Inn the Water, Island Trader, and The Last Dance are continuing east to Albany and maybe beyond.

Pictures to follow.

Dun and Terry

C-Dory---Its more than a boat ---its a FAMILY!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we could be there! One day! Looking forward to the pix, Dun!

Terry wrote:
Hi guys,

This is Dun using Terry's computer from Lock 20 Canal Park near Rome, NY. We're having hors d'oeuvres and cocktails and having Pizza delivered. Life is good!

[snip]

Pictures to follow.

Dun and Terry

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Wayne McCown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Response to Terry's Report from Rome, NY Reply with quote

Dear Terry and all:

It sounds like you are having too much fun!

What are "square waves"? We have camped with our fifth wheel trailer twice on L. Oneida. It is a beautiful little lake, but it can get rough, esp. on the east end.

I would love to do the next leg of the cruise with you. The Mohawk Valley is an exceptionally beautiful piece of real estate.

Well, we are following along with you, and enjoying the cruise vicariously!

Cordially, Wayne
Wayne McCown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Pics Available Reply with quote

BTY...

I got at least one photo of each of your C-Dory's, as you were leaving the dock at Seneca Falls.

I can (a) post them to the Event page on the C-Brats website, and/or (b) email to each of you the pic(s) I got of your boat. Let me know your wishes.

Wayne
Nate Leonard

City/Region: Locke
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Nate & Betsy's trip Reply with quote

Hi All;
Well our C-Dory 16 cruiser ran with the big dogs even with an engine that hadn't been run in two years. Thank goodness Dave was along to tweak the tuning. Betsy isn't used to boats yet so I am just as glad we returned before pounding across Oneida Lake. It was great fun even if only for two nights.
We decided to overnight Monday and ran back all the way to Newark where there is an excellent boaters facility (toilet, shower, washer/dryer all 30' away!). Kind of funny there - you have to call the village police department for the key. After 5:00 the phone rings into Wayne County 911 - the emergency being we wanted a key to go to the toilet. 10 minutes later a young officer came running down the dock all apologetic for taking so long!!! A side note - we had asked about porta pottis and decided on the little Coleman. We had trouble with a leaky cap on the holding tank which isn't fun in any boat much less a 16... I will discuss this with Coleman.
Newark also has a 50s diner and nothing has been changed - maybe a few things should be but still an interesting experience.
Tuesday we ran back around to Seneca Falls State Park - 8 locks in the day. Better practiced now at handling. Wednesday rain so happy to be home (we don't have the camper back (yet). Great shake down cruise and we will be ready for future runs.
Running down the canal (river) at high speed with 8 boats looked like a James Bond movie!

Best,
Nate (& Betsy)
ffheap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Folks,

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

After a great dinner on Saturday night, we left on Sunday, September 10th, and made it to the Hudson River on the 14th. Moved trailers on the 15th, and I am now in Hingham writing this note.

The trip was great. New friends were made. Great food was eaten. (Don't buy pizza in New York. They ruined the pizza like they ruined the Clam Chowder.)

More info coming from others and me.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: