View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Navman Fuel 3100 Reply with quote

I'm trying to install a Navman Fuel 3100, and I know several people have them and they work. So, my question is:

To hook up the NMEA in (GPS output, 3100 input) signal the Navman manual shows a single NMEA in signal (white wire). My GPS outputs NMEA data on two wires (NMEA out + and NMEA out -.

The Navman manual also shows the NMEA ground (I assume it's also power ground) going to the battery. The GPS also has a NMEA data ground, did someone connect it to the 3100 ground?

Given that plethora of data, how did you hook up the meter? Single ended or somehow differential?

Help, Boris
Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: I'll Be Watching Reply with quote

I've had my eye on the 3100. Will follow to see how things go and how you like the device.
journey on

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I called the USA Navman rep, and here's the scoop:

1. The wiring diagram they show in the installation manual is wrong (pg 19.) The correct wiring is shown in Appendix A, (pg 22.)

2. They use single ended circuits, which as we all know are more susceptible to noise. Nevertheless, connect the GPS Data+ lead to the 3100 NMEA IN (Yellow lead) and the GPS Data - lead to the 3100 return (black wire, actually, the shield ground.)

Boris
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...that will be real handy with me retroing C-Byrd this month and ya bet your bippy that this gadget will be on my ride.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, you answered your own question faster than I found the answer, Boris.

There's a great NAVMAN 3100 thread on The Hull Truth electronics forum. Echoes what you found and added a little more to the Navman knowledge base.

Don
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
Thanks...that will be real handy with me retroing C-Byrd this month and ya bet your bippy that this gadget will be on my ride.

Pat, one very minor comment. The Navman 3100 is a space hog if you plan to put it around the helm of a C-22 and I expect even worse with the smaller C-Dorys. There's probably plenty of room if one uses forethought in planning all the gauge/trim/autopilot/windlass control locations, but don't count me in that elite crowd. Sad

Don
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

space is limited... in fact on the old angler, the current tach is mounted "flat" up on the top of the "helm dash" and not on the vertical side facing the helm seat. My thoughts are to use the same "hole", but sort of make a "wedge shape" item as to slant the instrument back towards me at the helm. Sort of two "door wedges" so to speak on each of the sides with the item mounted onto them. If you can kinda picture what I am going after. Nothing real high...just give her a tilt of about 1" to 1 1/2" high in back to basically flat in front, angled towards the helm. I have to kinda raise up out of my seat and glance down at the flat surface now....or, sit on a boat cushion.... being the vertically challenged individual that I am....but...I do have plenty of head room....even for a cowboy hat if I so choose.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm - and with current belt size how do you plan to get close enough to read the numbers? huh?? Wink Wink
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawdust wrote:
Hmmmmmmm - and with current belt size how do you plan to get close enough to read the numbers? huh?? Wink Wink

Dusty- Shame on you!!! That's an intentionally embarassing question and especially from a guy from the Sequim High School Class of 1894!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu May 11, 2006 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
journey on

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Navman display and the Raymarine autopilot display are the same size. And the factory steals all the real estate on the "dash", since they get first crack. Even where they don't mount instruments, they've used the other side to mount stuff.

What I did was to build an auxiliary dash that fits fore and aft, just in front and outboard of the throttle , since one doesn't need to see those units full time. There was enough length to throw in a voltmeter. Angeled back 20 deg., you can even see the display faces without bending down. Used Starboard for the structure.

boris
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel here,
You see the setup on the [CD25] Sea Angel's helm... immediately to the left [port] side of the wheel. Good visability for this helm.

As to the wiring... 'single ended' here and fed directly from the Garman 2006C with a parallel input also to the VHF, ICOM502, radio for the DSC function. You can safely feed 2 devices this way.

Hope this may help others..

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Byrdman

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Dusty... I guess cause I generally keep a magnifying glass around the helm in the boat bag as to help me see the little things on the ol faithful never needs batteries paper maps... Yep... I love back-ups. .....and....they do have big readouts on them... Grin.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Just an old NAVY guy pulling your chain a bit. I'm a bit sensitive in that area because Diane is buying the next size larger for me Rolling Eyes. Too many fresh shrimp and halibut!! Get back up here guy, miss you.

Love

Dusty
journey on

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel;

When you ran your single ended GPS output (3100 input), did you connect the 3100 power return to the GPS - (low) signal wire? I'd like to know before I turn the power on.

In all my years of interfacing data signals, the one thing I learned was to separate power and signal returns. Now Navman is asking me to connect them. It's hard.

Thanks, Boris
journey on

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Navman 3100 fuel flow meter is installed. To interface the !@#$ thing to the GPS, I got a NoLand Engineering XP15 Expander. This is a buffer amplifier, with a single NMEA input, 5 ea differential outputs (RS-422) and 1 ea single ended output (RS 232.) So now I have GPS to the autopilot, VHF radio, fuel flow, and more available (the depth sounder has a GPS input, for goodness sake.) The computer has its own GPS, but there is an output available.

Since there is now position data to the VHF, we got a MMI number. Free, Boat us. So now if we're in trouble, all we need to do is push a single button and there's the emergency signal, with our number and position. We can also get a (co-operating) boats position, by just requesting it, automatically. We just need to know the MMI number. Will wonders never cease. All new fixed VHF radios have this capability (I think.)

Will try out everything on the water Thursday (after my last day at work,) and then off to the San Juan Isls, and thereabouts. See you up there.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: