Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran:

Check with a Raymarine distributor - many of them have extra cables. I got one from (I hate to admit it or imply it's worthwhile going there)... Worst Marine.

Also try online Raymarine dealers like: http://www.boatersland.com/raycables.html and http://www.northeastmarineelectronics.com. (Search Google for "raymarine cables'.
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone connected their VHF radio to the C-80 for MMSI? If so, which cable and which wires need to be connected? I have a hunch that its the cable that connects my C-80 display to the ST6001 Autopilot display. I think that's the NMEA cable.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: auto waypoints Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies about the waypoint/MOB button. As far as I can tell I am not activating the MOB button when I get the auto waypoints. I know how to activate the MOB function and have tested to see that I am not accidentally doing so. I simply push the button once quickly to activate the softkeys, and every time I then hit the edit waypoint key, to change a name for example, I find a new waypoint has been added. I found I had 38 waypoints in the system without ever deliberately adding one (did that while trying to learn the system). The index has nothing I can find and thus far I can't find anything in the manual.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealife wrote:
Has anyone connected their VHF radio to the C-80 for MMSI? If so, which cable and which wires need to be connected? I have a hunch that its the cable that connects my C-80 display to the ST6001 Autopilot display. I think that's the NMEA cable.

I have, Mike. Depending on the VHF, the radio will have either data in (receiver) and data out (sender) or just data in. Yes it connects to the NMEA183 cable which, in your case, probably connects to the ST6001 receive port. You can connect the VHF to the same wires without a problem.

My VHF can send the received MMSI position directly to the C80 plotter display as well as send my position to another boat if we're all programmed correctly.

Don
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that my st6001 talks with the C80 by seatalk and not with NMEA. There is a NMEA connector on the back of the C80 display and that is the cable I need to connect to the VHF.

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly I talked with Less at EQ about this.

Thanks for the info on the cable.

Steve
Sneaks

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you're right about the Seatalk cable connecting with the autopilot. Part of my "confusion" is that the NMEA connector has NMEA183 data but so does the Seatalk connector. Another case of standard data using Raymarine's proprietary connectors.

I ran all four Raymarine NMEA wires from the cable connected to the NMEA output behind the C80 to a connection strip behind the helm and that's where the connection to the VHF was made, rather than use those telephone snap on connectors provided by Raymarine. That way, should I get any other NMEA183 device, it will be easy to connect. I intended to use it for a Navman connection as well but went to a Seatalk2/NMEA2000 fuel flow system instead.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Connecting the NMEA output to a terminal strip is a good idea that I might use - Thanks.

You said

"Steve, you're right about the Seatalk cable connecting with the autopilot. Part of my "confusion" is that the NMEA connector has NMEA183 data but so does the Seatalk connector. Another case of standard data using Raymarine's proprietary connectors. "

I am just learning this stuff and have not spent the time to really know it. Are you saying that Seatalk is the same as NMEA or that it is NMEA data with additional information. If this is true is the NMEA data on specific wires that could be used separately? This is just for curiosity.

Thanks,
Steve
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a connection strip for NMEA connections as long as there is only one "talker". In other words only one device that is sending information. You can have multiple "listeners". If you plan on connecting a VHF that not only receives information from the chartplotter but also sends DCS information to the chartplotter you will have to buy a multiplexor to sort the traffic. They are around $200 unfortunately.

Seatalk is proprietary. NMEA is an industry standard. They are different. The VHF will use NMEA. Your GPS receiver might use either one depending on the model.
Sneaks

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Flapbreaker but don't tell my system, because it has two "talkers" and I've had three "listeners" on the same NMEA183 bus without a multiplex device and so far they've worked just fine as have a few other folk I've run into on The Hull Truth. The Seatalk bus also conforms to the NMEA183 standards and can be used as such. You can find that info at Raymarine if you dig far enough. Yes, it's possible that there are extra "Raymarine specific" data sentences sent between Raymarine Seatalk capable units but I'm not aware of them.

As far as Seatalk2, it conforms to NMEA2000 in every respect but the connectors which, like Seatalk, are proprietary. I believe there's an article in Sea Magazine that explains it well, but I may be wrong. I do know a major mag covered that info recently or I wouldn't have "operated" on my Seatalk2 bus to get fuel flow etc. working.

Finally, a big tip for C80 owners who update.

Before performing a software upgrade, export your waypoint data to a CF card. Once you complete the upgrade and have rebooted, turn the C80 off, then while holding the far left softkey down, press the power key to start the C80. You will see the screen flash FACTORY RESET and boot. Then reinstall your waypoints.

It seems several of us have experienced weird symptoms post update. In my case, the intelligent power supply got dumbed down and every time I turned the battery breakers on, the C80 powered up. Seabran had a custom page save problem. Both were solved by the factory reset.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered the 3.16 (I think) update a couple weeks ago and did that upgrade without any issues...I'm thinkin I'm not going to do the 3.18 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: