The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin 40's On a C-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony

City/Region: Madeline Island, Lake Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Frigen Riggen
Photos: Tony's Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the call girl theory. Coast guard wave is measured from water level to the crest of the wave. You obviously measured yours from the trench to the crest.
Quote:
This is not a problem on a small lake or limited sized bay, of course, but you'll find there's a great deal of agreement this is a definite no-no on big water

Geese you think that you need salt to have big water hu. The little bay that I play in is 60 miles wide and 200 miles long its called the west side of lake superior. And ya it's just a bay in a lake! 6'-8' waves are common....Or C.G. 3'-4' And we have seen them a lot larger! We have never had any problems running with the waves but I will put that info away in the old memory bank. Thanks Joe

So now is when you and oldgrowth tear me a new one. Expressing poetically how you saltys know more about seamanship and have a better understanding of boats because of your "big water". Right?

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

<stuff clipped> This is not a problem on a small lake or limited sized bay, of course, but you'll find there's a great deal of agreement this is a definite no-no on big water and waves if you read through the various topics discussed within the "Trim Tabs and Hydrofoil" and "Helmsmanship" headings in the Library section of the Forums.
<stuff clipped>
Joe.

I'm not sure I remember the last time there was "great deal of agreement" on any technical issue..... Very Happy

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony-

Nice hearing from you again!

The Call Girl Theory works for 5-6 footers, not sure for 3-4 footers!

Thanks for clarifying which "C.G." reference you're refering to.

The C.G. = Coast Guard is the way science (physics) measures everything, from the zero point in the middle. But almost everybody else goes from trough to crest, adds in a bit of adrenaline or otherwise induced exaggeration, so their (C.G.) "objective" system often seems out of kilter with what folks think they experience, by comparison!

Typical situation: the C.G. wx report says three footers, the Weekend Fishing Fanatic listens to the forecast, then goes out to find waves six feet from trough to crest-- which he sees as eight footers, and the complaints about the wx report begin................!

I'm not going to belittle anyone else's water body size, or the size of any other part of their body, for that matter! I just know I'm here on a relatively calm inland lake, and, although I've experienced a fair share of big chop on S.F. Bay and swells in the ocean on sailboats, there are no real waves for me here or anyone else on a similar (much smaller than yours) sized body of water to go out and test out some of these boathandling theories and lecture to the world! If you want that, you ask Dusty!

Roger-

"a great deal of agreement" would have to be a relative term!

No agreement issues:

single vs twins

best motor brand

best anchor type

etc., etc.

In Agreement non-issues: (but also non-technical!)

C-Dory = best boat for our type of boating!

Mike and Bill do a great job!

C-Brat Get Togethers = FUN!!!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent many years sailing and then C-Dorying on the Pacific ocean from So Cal to Alaska, and I have seen lots of waves.

Ocean waves are reported by CG weather as (for example) "5ft waves at 10 second interval". When the interval in seconds is shorter than the wave height in feet, you know its going to be a rough ride.

Well, when we took our C-Dory to Lake Mead, I really learned something about waves! Freshwater waves can be much more severe and dangerous than salt water waves! The wind blowing over freshwater brings the waves up faster, taller, and with more of a peak(sharper) than the same wind over salt water. And they are closer together!

The only time I ever took any green water over the bow was on fresh water! Now I know what makes the Great Lakes so dangerous.

I have a great deal of respect for boaters who use the Great Lakes and the weather they have to put up with.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All:

Just to change the direction of this thread a little bit, has anyone with twin 40's on their 22 run Solas, 4 blade Aluminum propellors, 12" or 13" pitch, on their boat? I would be interested in knowing your experience.

Thanks,
Rollie/C-Batical
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecasts for the great lakes via radio, online, etc are provided by NOAA. They measure the height of waves from trough to crest. So weather radio reporting seas 4 to 6 means the height of most waves from trough to crest is in that range. However, about 15 percent will be smaller and 15 percent will be larger than this range including waves up to twice 6 feet in height. It is not uncommon for boaters to come in and say "Gee the Coast Guard (when it is not the CG it is NOAA) reported 4 to 6 foot waves but there were 10 and 12 footers out there." Both could be correct although inexperienced skippers tend to exaggerate the height.

So I wonder if the poster isn't just meaning that the waves were so high by the official measurement, which is a generally a conservative estimate?

Me I keep in mind that even a two foot wave is many times heavier than my little boat.

I heard that call girl estimate of height may be a little taller in Las Vegas?

Regards,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: