View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Sturgeon, 2006 Reply with quote

I stuck the boat in the water this evening, and I always worry about it the first couple of nights. So I came up with this grand idea. I am going down to stay on the boat tonight, and go sturgeon fishing in the morning. I am also taking a couple crab pots along. If the wind is blowing like it was this morning, I will probably skip the trip west for the crabbing and go to my old favorite spot for sturgeon. If the wind is blowing there, then I got the shakedown run for the boat covered just the same. So there. That's a plan. It's not even midnight yet and I am almost ready to go. Such a deal.
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a life I tell ya, what a life.
I am stuck at work sleep working and you are out there sleep boating.
I think I wanna trade...

As I once heard from a wise old Millwright... "If I didn't get paid I'd have to quit..." or something to that effect...

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fun. Caught one sturgeon of legal size (let him go). I got one legal crab, too. I guess them crabs only like turkey legs around Thanksgiving. Had a dozen or so in the pots, but only one was big enough. I thought them things were supposed to grow over the winter?

Great morning. Enough of a breeze to make anchor fishing difficult, but the water was smooth enough to make crab pot grabbing easy. Good thing, because one of the kids took the telescoping boat pole out of the boat to get a frisbee or something out of a tree. She's grounded as soon as I find out which one.

The boat ran great. Kay's new contraption works real good.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent -- a Stoijin! Do you fish the flats?

Yup, the crabs should be goin downhill...this month is the last of them until September. Try chicken...I haven't had that good of luck with turkey. Further down the coast, I've heard Waldport is better than Newport for some reason...and they just flat out don't come in if there's too much rain in the water.

Anyhow, I'm hopin we might get to Waldport the weekend after Cathlamet to see if we can get a few crab....freezer's empty...almost void of fish as well Sad BUT the CatyMae is BACK! Yeeeehaaaaa!
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo, do you rinse the anchor chain off after anchoring in the salt? I have yet to put the anchor out in the salt and am kind of affraid to do it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Smile
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
Tyboo, do you rinse the anchor chain off after anchoring in the salt? I have yet to put the anchor out in the salt and am kind of affraid to do it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Smile

How in the world did I miss this one in this thread? Nope - I have never bothered to rinse the chain that is below deck when stowed. The river water is brackish at most, and is even less salty than that at low tide. The galvanized chain has never shown signs of rust or electrolysis, but I imagine it would if used in true saltwater. The PS guys probably have a better feel for this one since they can't get out of the salt.

We are going out early in the morning to drop a couple crab pots and then try for some sturgeon. Two friends will be at the dock at 6:00 am. Tiff wants to stay on the boat tonight so I reckon that's what we'll do. If the wind isn't blowing 20 kts like it was most of today we will stay out there a while tomorrow, otherwise we will probably quit after a couple hours when we grab the pots at high slack.
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're headed to Newport to try for sturgeon there...we've gotten a couple pieces of info about where to look for them Smile
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
We are going out early in the morning to drop a couple crab pots and then try for some sturgeon. Two friends will be at the dock at 6:00 am. Tiff wants to stay on the boat tonight so I reckon that's what we'll do. If the wind isn't blowing 20 kts like it was most of today we will stay out there a while tomorrow, otherwise we will probably quit after a couple hours when we grab the pots at high slack.
Tomorrow morning at high slack and later, two of us will be paddling with the tide down from Knappton to Ilwaco, wind permitting. Shall we pull those pots and check them for you? Rolling Eyes Laughing
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker,
I always use my anchor in the saltwater. I does get a rinse at the end of the season before winter storage. The hot-dipped galvanized coating on the chain and anchor is probably the most durable and rust-resistant coating there is.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker,

I think it's more important to rinse off any mud or sticky sand from the anchor and chain than just salt water. Damp, salty mud can start rust spots.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Tomorrow morning at high slack and later, two of us will be paddling with the tide down from Knappton to Ilwaco, wind permitting. Shall we pull those pots and check them for you? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I would be afraid that our heavily laden crab pots might upset that paddle craft. But by all means, look for a green flat-top CD25 somewhere on the south side of the sands past Hammond (or above Warrenton if the wind is blowing) and shake an oar at us or something! If the boat will sit still at anchor, we'll probably be down toward the west end so you, being a young man, can paddle on across to the OR side and say howdy. I'll get the camera out and put it with the boat stuff right now so maybe we'll get a snap or two of you.
AstoriaDave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
If the boat will sit still at anchor, we'll probably be down toward the west end so you, being a young man, can paddle on across to the OR side and say howdy.
Ouch. Ya really know how to hurt a 61-year old guy! I think we'll only see you on radar from our side of the river. Catch a keeper for me!
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fish - not even a bite that we were sure of. We did get 8 good crabs out of twenty or so. What a gorgeous day it is on the river. No wind, no chop - just sunshine and smooth water. No sign of Dave in is kayak, though. Of course, he could have snuck by while I was napping and the others just didn't bother to mention it.
AstoriaDave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
No sign of Dave in his kayak, though. Of course, he could have snuck by while I was napping and the others just didn't bother to mention it.
You had about fifty crabs in those pots, with the thirty you did not see all gorgeous keepers, and they barely fit into our back hatches! Wink Wink Laughing

Stealth kayaks are the stuff these days ... we actually bogarted in the face of a strong wind forecast, and did a Knappton - Rocky Point round trip, making use of the tide both ways. Very pleasant. Beautiful day, best one this spring!

Might comfort you to know that the two large party boats out of Ilwaco we saw anchored off Grays Point showed absolutely no sturgeon action, just a lot of beer drinking, judging from the water temp downstream. Embarassed Razz
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fish for us either...we DID catch crab on our fishing rods -- only females tho, so we didn't get any to bring home...and WOW did the wind show up just after noon -- I'll load a picture later..whew!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: