View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Charting out used C-Dory prices (?) Reply with quote

Oldgrowth (Dave) or anyone else interested:

When captd asked about how to price his used C-Dory (as have several others recently), I had an idea recurr that might be worth pursuing.

For each model C-Dory, could a vertically linear scale be arranged showing the price range with the individual price points of the boats that have been listed on this site marked on that scale with a short description of the boat (model year, engines, hours, trailer, major optional equipment) out to the side, and then a link to the specific ad for that boat?

If this could be done, anyone could see for a specific model, e.g., CD-22 Cruiser, the range of prices vs. the age and equipment included.

This would show only the asking pricess, and not the sales prices, but would go a ways toward organizing the myriad of information that is so confusing to sellers and shoppers alike.

Maybe someone could figure out a better way to do this or some additional information to include.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe - I will try and get something started on this within the next week to 10 days. Then we can see what it looks like, get feed back from the members and go from there.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like you suggest would indeed be helpful. (I'm a wannabee at this point).

I have noticed that some (many!!) of the Marketplace Reference messages have the original ad edited (i.e. replaced) by the owner to state: "This boat has been sold".

From the owner's point of view this makes sense, of course. But for everyone else, a tremendous amount of useful information has now evaporated forever! At best we are left with the original title saying something like '22-C 2001 $37,000". Not too informative . . .

Any way the moderators could perhaps capture this information for posterity?

PS Love the site; will be attending Cathlamet get-together next weekend (via local B&B)

e.g.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any way the moderators could perhaps capture this information for posterity?

Iggy:

We sort of try to. The Market Place Reference is a locked forum, so no posting or editing can take place (at least I think nobody can edit their own messages, but maybe I need to check into it). When we move an ad to the reference forum, we edit out only the contact and personal information. Often times, the seller will edit his own ad, and the posted info, before it gets moved. Then we will either move or delete it depending on how helpful it might be to others. If the guy who posts the ad wants it removed, he is without question entitled to do that. I guess maybe we should scan through the posts in the reference section and delete the ones with no meaningful info.

See you next weekend!

Dave:

This sounds like it could be a neat tool, and I am betting we will want to find a way to stick it, or at the very least a link to it, at the top of the reference forum. Thank you for taking the time to try it out, and thanks again for the other cool charts.

See you next weekend???

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave --
This is a good time (in advance on this project of used boat prices) to thank you for the time and effort you have spent to graph many different topics for this site -- Good on ya, and a Big Thanks from us.

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my internet connection this morning, or more accurately stated, it got so sporadic that it was useless. I have two way satellite connection. No DSL or cable available here. The tech help department located in Bangladesh was no help. It took a while, but I finally located the problem and repaired it myself. Water had gotten into the LMB unit on the dish.

I also had a birthday party to attend. It was Terri, my lovely wife's birthday. Can’t tell you how old she is. You know how it is with women.

Mike – when I get the C-Dory’s for sale information in a format I think will be useful, I will let you know. You and the other members can suggest changes/improvements, then it would be nice if it can be on this site, instead of a link. I would be more than happy to keep the information updated.

Mike - I want to go to the Cathlamet gathering but not sure I will make it. Don’t want to go without Terri. She prefers to do all our boating in secluded out of the way places, where there are no people. That is how she prefers to live. Also why we don’t have DSL or cable.

El & Bill – thank you for your thanks and thank you for the great stories about your travels. I enjoy reading about them and dream of the time when Terri and I might do some ourselves.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-

We don't expect you to do this project overnight! Take your time and do it when it fits conveniently into your schedule. This is a hobby, not a job!

Another thought about the price chart: Maybe we could list the sold boats in RED and the boats still for sale in GREEN (?)

Also: Might it be possible to list the information about the boats in columns instead of just a running account listing: year/ single-twin/ Eng, Make/ h.p./ hrs/ trailer type: single or tandem, bunk or roller/ major accessories/ etc....but might not be that much more useful or might be too restrictive a format for convenience (?)

Fun thinking about it! Too bad I can't help you do the work!

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: