The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hurricane Season '06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Hurricane Season '06 Reply with quote

In the news this morning, and of specific interest for those on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts:

The Colorado State University team led by Dr. William Gray, a pioneer in forecasting storm probabilities, said it expected 17 named storms to form in the Atlantic basin during the six-month season starting in June.

Nine of the storms will likely strengthen into hurricanes, with winds of at least 74 mph, the team said, reaffirming their early prediction in December.

The forecasters said five of the hurricanes were likely to be major storms, reaching at least Category 3 on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity, and boasting winds of at least 111 mph.

The long-term statistical average is for around 10 named storms per season, of which six become hurricanes.

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed this guy's predictions for a number of years; he's pretty close to right on. He says we've been lulled into a false sense of security over the last 40 years or so by fewer than normal hurricanes and has predicted this return to more and more severe activity. Unfortunately, that 40 years has seen one heck of a lot of development along our storm prone coasts.
Al

nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he make any prediction as to where the hurricanes are likely to make landfall? As someone whose waterfront vacation home was completed less than a year ago, I have more to worry about than just my boat!

Norma
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nscogin wrote:
Does he make any prediction as to where the hurricanes are likely to make landfall? As someone whose waterfront vacation home was completed less than a year ago, I have more to worry about than just my boat!

Norma

Boy, that would be a long shot. Disgust

If he could do that, I'd think he'd be playing the market, not looking for storms. Laughing

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can pretty much tell you where one of those baby's is going to be in mid to late July. I am planning a short (1 Week) circle of SW Florida, heading up the coast to Ft. Myers and across the big ditch to the East Coast and down to the Keys, and back up the 10,000 islands to Naples.

You can bet your bottom dollar that one of the nine will catch up with me some time that week. I got my degree in " Murphy's Law" .

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this prediction. Hurricanes are really bad news. After my first wife died of complications due to diabetes, I married a Mississippi lass who lived on the gulf coast near Bay St. Louis. We decided to put all her household effects into dry storage since we didn't need two homes and two households. We picked Kiln, Mississipi as the site, thirteen miles from the ocean. Well, Katrina came along and pushed water up the Jordan River to the extent that the original 30 foot sea surge put only four feet of water into our storage unit. You can imagine the mess we found three weeks later. Interestingly enough, a number of small boats survived Katrina with minimal damage, while homes miles from the ocean were completely destroyed. Nature is a cruel master! John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: