View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony

City/Region: Madeline Island, Lake Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Frigen Riggen
Photos: Tony's Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Death by Dory? Reply with quote

After being called away to the hurricanes last year my c-dory sat in its slip unused for 5 1/2 months. With fear of freezing water my first priority was to my boat second was to see the wife (don't tell her that). So I drove 21 hours straight to the island straight to the marina. There she was still floating, still tied just as I left her in the spring. I had gotten only one short day trip all year and now time to pull the boat for the winter. No way! So I planed a 4 day trip out in the back yard ( Apostle Islands ) I would have 2 days to winterize the cabin and outfit the boat for the trip. The plan was for Kara my wife to drive up friday after work and I would pick her up on the mainland around 9pm. Come hell or high water I was going to spend some time on board before the ice. Well hell and high water was just what I got. 4-6 foot waves, 28 temp, Rain snow mix and fog. But I could not let go of this last chance to spend time on the boat. Crossing north channel was slow going but not a big deal Kara was late due to the Rain/snow. 10:30pm we pulled out to find a calm spot for the night. Some how by the grace of god and alot of help from radar/CP we pulled into a calm dock on an outer island. It was cold and we had no heat so I closed up the boat and we went to bed. As I said I had not seen my boat or my wife in 5 1/2 months so we said our formal hello and drifted off to sleep. 5am I woke abruptly thinking some one was running on the dock, jumped up and no one was there just icicles on the bow rale. But now I was awake so I thought I would make so eggs so I grabbed the lighter and tried to light the stove but the lighter would not light. No big deal we keep a small propane torch on board for lighting camp fires. It won't light either....... I don't know why but with a bic lighter in one hand I cracked the door extended out my arm and the lighter lit as I pulled it into the cabin it went out. #*&^%! Get up a yelled to kara! We sat on the dock for a hour in shock. Then the headache lasting for two days and my last trip of the year cut short. I new my c-dory was well built but I didn't think she was air tight. I hope that from sharing this story I might save some one a headache or worse!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Glad you and Kara are OK Tony. Hard to believe it's airtight for me too but I guess with a lot of heavy breathing, you could use up a lot of oxygen. Embarassed

If you ever figure out what happened (with the air), let us all know...

Again, glad you're OK!!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the rain, snow, and freezing temps could have been a factor? Maybe the boat was iced up on the outside a bit, and that contributed to sealing it airtight. Has anyone else had that type of experience? Do most people crack a window on overnight trips? And on a side note how many leave the wallas on all night? Glad you woke up, could have been really bad.

Sark
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony-

Glad you're OK!!!

Sark-

I think your explanation of the ice sealing up the seams that ordinarily provide air exchange is 100% correct.

Behoves al of us to remember to crack a window a bit, expecially in freezing weather!

A note to this effect should be in the Owner's Manual if it isn't already.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't happen to have a cooler with dry ice inside the cabin did you? That would also displace the air from the bottom up. If not, it's truly scary that the boat was sealed up so tight. Probably something to think about if you ever have a desire to sleep in a car on a cold day too...
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger good thinking but why in the world would someone in below freezing weather have dry ice on board... Shocked

Think about it. Could happen though, I guess... Crook

Charile
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Scarry story!!

We sleep with the front hatch open on the first 'click'( where the latches lock into the first groove).

We also leave the side windows open 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so, unless there is heavy rain.

I haven't slept on the boat without heat in those freezing conditions, though.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the ice and freezing rain was the killer on that night. we always leave the front hatch open a little. I hate sleeping with out a lillte fresh air, even old air. glad you made it.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are Okay!

This is a very scary story. We have slept in our boat many nights in the rain in upper 40s lower 50s and had everything closed. The only opening being the hole were the wires come into the cabin from the cockpit.

I am wondering if a CO alarm would be any good in this situation?

Steve
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:
Glad you are Okay!

This is a very scary story. We have slept in our boat many nights in the rain in upper 40s lower 50s and had everything closed. The only opening being the hole were the wires come into the cabin from the cockpit.

I am wondering if a CO alarm would be any good in this situation?

Steve

Probably not since what woud be building up inside the boat would be CO2 and not CO. CO2 at high enough concentrations can be an asphyxiant even when O2 levels are not that low. Here's a link on an Australian govt site that warns mariners of the dangers of CO2 asphyxiation. I'm poking around looking for CO2 alarms right now.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two aspects of this story puzzle me:

1. When the CO2 level in the air you breathe rises, it induces a fierce "I gotta breathe" reaction in a person. They apparently did not experience that. It is the rise in CO2 within your blood that makes you feel like you need to breathe when you swim a long ways underwater. You actually have quite a bit of O2 within your tissues, to sustain the cells -- one reason it is possible to survive near drowning without any brain damage if ventilation is begun promptly after the near-drowner is pulled from the water.

2. The total volume of the space they were in has a lot of O2 in it, such that it would take a very long time for them to deplete it to dangerous levels. Unless they were drugged or drunk, they should wake up from apnea or something similar long before the O2 level would get so low that a butane lighter would not operate. I've slept overnight at 11,000 feet many times, and I notice some apnea (funny breathing), but have never had any trouble getting a lighter to work.

I don't have an explanation for their story at all, but I am puzzled why their story does not jive with what I know about O2-depleted breathing situations. Maybe somebody with better knowledge can fill us in.

416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are ok! Note to self...keep a window cracked at all times when sleeping on the boat.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading, serious possibly. Within the first 2 months of bringing home my CD-25 over 3 yrs ago I cut a 2 1/2 - 3" hole in my roof and installed a fixed vent the type I used to have on my sailboats that sheds water but ventilates ...and I hate holes in roofs and hulls. I felt the cabin was too airtight, might make a mistake with the stove or something. Half-jokingly I've looked at that vent and wondered what possessed me to do it, now I guess I have a reason...

Steve
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could have been very ugly. Its a good story....and not just the "formal hello" bit. Laughing

Hope to see ya on the water this summer.

Stay safe

Christopher Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Tony

City/Region: Madeline Island, Lake Superior
Vessel Name: No Frigen Riggen
Photos: Tony's Dory
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the "glad you are oks" folks! I do not know if it was to little O2 or too much CO2 or CO....... I know two things to be fact. #1 butane and propane lighters would not light. #2 I had a vary bad headache for two full days and Kara's hung on for almost 4 days.
I now have two solar 24 hr 3" vents one in the front hatch and one in the roof of the cabin.
We are hoping to not have any repeat overnights this summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: