The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Channel Islands Quickie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is Jeff, of the C Pelican. Though only the owner for one week, I am ready to give the salty seas a try.

I hope to be at the Wilmington Marina (unless someone here has a better recomendation? - I live in the High Desert) Wednesday or Thursday and leave TH morn for Avalon. I was going to stay until Friday but maybe I can greet some of you all that I see here on Saturday?

I like reading of the diving also, and am certified, but have not dove since overseas with the Marines in the early-80's so would just have to watch and learn again and I desire to give fishing a try again too though it has been a long time....

How do you all contact each other? Certain channels on the VHF? Cell phone?
Do you have a meeting point over on the island?

Hoping none of these questions sound "stupid" but you must remember, the symbol of the Marines is a fouled anchor...and I am still tying to tie a bowline knot consistently!

Lastly, any suggestions on what to bring with me on such a trip for food/supplies/accessories????

Sincerely,
Jeff
Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

This weekend we will be at Santa Cruz Island. We will head over to the island at 9:00 am from the Channel Islands landing, and spend the night there at some TBD location. There really is no facilities at Santa Cruz. In general we look to see where the winds are coming from, where the dive folks want to be and pick a cove. You are more than welcome to join us on this informal adventure. As you know it is a good deal farther from Catalina Island, but I thought I would welcome you!

C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the last entry was for my sake (Bill/Jeff) but no matter as I see I made a big boo-boo re Santa Cruz over Santa Catalina. Yes, that is a little farther than what I thought so I will have to continue with my solo to Catalina.

I will keep browsing the site here and hopefully catch up with some of you soon somewhere else on the water.

I did see another C Dory on Lake Mead, by the dam, TH the 15th, but was not able to greet them as I was having some engine problems distracting me.

Jeff
Islander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Yep, I don't know where I got jeff from.
I'm doing too many things right know!
Multiple things at work, multitasking, and monitoring the C Brats.
Islander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the WX and it looks great! In fact it looks like a high pressure system will be building which means HOT temps inland.

.SAT THROUGH SUN...W WIND 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING
HOURS...OTHERWISE WIND LIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2
TO 3 FT. PATCHY NIGHT THROUGH MORNING FOG.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I'll be taking two tanks, dive one tank Saturday with the camera and one Sunday with the spear gun. Too bad Bob can't make it, we could refill and dive two tanks both days.
The weather looks like it will be nice with low winds and small swell.

Dora ~ Jean
Islander
Fishtales
Li'l Rascal?
Any others?
Dive Cat, Salty Cs, Sealife any one else- It would be nice to see ya out there, but maybe next time.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to go.....but committed long ago to a CG patrol on Saturday, and manning a booth at SeeBees Day at the Navy Station on Sunday.

BTW, took my RV up to Lake Isabella and the Kern River Monday-Tuesday. Great camping area, big lake, maybe future gathering spot?

Islander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I was just up in that area today, Ridgecrest.
It was well.......HOT and DRY!

Well in case your patrol gets cancelled come join us.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Yep, already loaded 4 tanks (2 each). Miles gave out a big sigh, he doesn't feel he's in shape enough for two dives since he hasn't been diving since December. He remembers keenly about the 6 month rule of forgetting the training, he'll be fine, that's MY job. A dive each day would work fine for him I'm sure, I'll tell him. I know it's a bit unusual for me to be so ON SCHEDULE loading a day early, but I have to run to San Pedro Friday night to return my brother's camera before his trip to China Tuesday.

Hey Ron, we'll have to figure how to squeeze in some caving Sunday (more likely than Saturday??). And, we'll have to have a "pre-caving" meet'n to discuss the best prospects....! So much to do, so little time, woah. Great time to be away from the heat of the valleys, a scorcher predicted, warnings and all.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dang coastal weather- cool and misty in the morning, warm to hot in the afternoon.

I'm in a "wait & see" mode right now. Woke up this morning with a head cold, if it isn't gone in the morning I'll have to pass on diving Angry

Called the landing and the hoist is still down, they don't know when it will be up and running again--- "Maybe tomorrow"

Gotta get out on / in the water!!

(Had a good time at the Martina McBride concert last night at the Santa Barbara Bowl- maybe I'm just feeling my age)
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishtales wrote:

(Had a good time at the Martina McBride concert last night at the Santa Barbara Bowl- maybe I'm just feeling my age)

Glad to hear that it was a good time! We have tickets for her concert in Everett on July 16. (So, we'll be heading to the concert after the C-Brat Gathering in Bellingham.........should be a FANTASTIC weekend! Smile )

C-Brat #16
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like I will be able to join you guys on the trip Cry . It has been kinda hectic here with the kids and with me out of town. Have fun and be safe.

Scott on Lil Rascal
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, sorry to hear about your cold, hope you can shake it, if not, no worries, got all summer. I got a cold too about 2 1/2 weeks ago, a real doozy, sore throat and ear aches for 4 full days, then went to my chest. Colds gone for 5 days now, but yesterday was the first day I could clear my ears. Miles is fine.

I'll go ahead and launch at Channel Islands, will be easier to stay together especially if you guys have to launch by trailer this time with the hoist down.

Ron, got your vm, just got home at 9:15pm from work, long day. Gotta do some last minute prep on the boat. Plan to be at the dock about 8:45am.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, feeling worse this morning. I'm gong to have to wimp out for this weekend Cry

DaveS- The Warren Brothers were a good warmup for the show. The first half, Martina did songs from her new album "Timeless"- A collection of "Timeless" Grand Ol' Opry songs. (During the break, I went down and got a beer, I heard a couple of young girls say"Now she's going to sing the songs that we know" Laughing Second half was some of her hits. A good time was had by all.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'quick' update on the Channel Islands Quickie that we had this weekend. 3 boats were scheduled to go: Islander, Fishtales and Dora~Jean. Saturday morning, Fishtales called in and said he was feeling even worse, won't be going. The outing then became the "Mini Channel Islands Quickie".

Islander and Dora~Jean went to the backside of Anacapa through moderate seas across the channel, Dora~Jean began to fish, Islander hung around for awhile then headed to Santa Cruz island to search overnight anchorages. Saw two of my cousins on their boat while at Anacapa, they came by to show me 2 halibut (1 was 44" long) and a sea bass, nice fish. I caught a 25 lb manta ray (or bat ray), a comerant (bird), a pelican, a seal and 1 legal Calico bass. Fishing wasn't particular hot for us...

About 3pm, Ron on Islander says he's packing it in, wind was up, seas lumpy, anchorages not great. The outing just became the "Uni-Channel Islands Quickie". My son and I discussed and decided to fish the rest of the day and come back just before dark. But about 5pm a strong wind hit us on the back side of Anacapa, sustained about 25 knots, decided that was it, we're head'n home. Seas were large, whitecaps, heavy wind, weather report didn't catch up for over an hour until next bouy reports. Got back safe, 1 etable fish in the box. Sunday was great, got lots of "to do's" done, boat cleaned, engine oils changed. Overall a good weekend, you know what they say, a bad day fishing better than.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: