View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Outriggers Reply with quote

Ok...we know nothing about outriggers or how they are used. Our new boat has the mounts for them (see pic in our album) but no poles. The question of the day...how the heck are they used? I know that they get your bait out away from the boat, but that's it. We're very experienced with downriggers for salmon, but outriggers...that's another story.

Any suggestions as to the type of poles to get...size, etc? What about the rigging kits and any other stuff? WM catalog has telescoping and fixed poles of various diameters. We'll probably chase tuna (and everything else we can) in the GOM when we move to AL...so just trying to get a bit of info and trying to learn.

We noticed that Ray on Sea Lion has them...let's hear from the Tuna Master! Laughing

Thanks,
Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, was looking at your pictures , how do you like the hand pump where it is mounted? Just bought my self one of those this weekend . And also what exactly is that pole on top of your gaff? Like what you done whit your boat looks very nice Very Happy

Gary SEARAM
416rigby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
We had to chuckle a bit. You see, we have yet to even lay eyes on the boat in person...lol...bought it just from looking at the pics and speaking with the owner on the phone and lots of emails. We won't actually pick it up until we drive through on the way to Alabama in June, so I can't comment on how I like the pump. I will say that as a required "manual bailing device" it will probably work pretty well. I'm going to leave it in, but also install an electric pump back there as many have done.

The boat is very well equipped and we just got lucky to get it the way it happened. Thanks to a couple of folks here on the site, we were able to pounce on it immediately upon its listing.

The thing above the gaff looks like a tailer. Goes around the tail of a big fish to control it while on deck. The previous owner is a big time fisherman...like we are. We'll carry on that tradition on the boat.

And your praise for the way the boat looks...well, we agree, and will give the previous owner all the credit for that. We can't wait to put her in the water!

Rick
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outriggers are like flagpoles leaning away from the boat. there's a clip that your line attaches to and it's then run out to the far end of the outrigger like you run a flag up a flagpole. If a fish hits that particular lure, the line comes off the clip and you're in business.

Looks like he's rigged to spread at least six lures behind the boat. Two on the outriggers, two on rods set in the wide rod holders and two set astern. Nice Tuna/albacore setup as well as marlin.

Be sure to ask the seller how far back seems to be the "sweet spot" for his (your new) boat. It varies and each boat seems to be slightly different.

Your seller is pretty well known down San Diego way. Straight up guy.

Don
416rigby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don. I kinda figured they were like "sideways downriggers." Laughing
How can you tell all of that stuff about how many lines can be fished at once just from looking at the mount? At least I believe that the silver thingie by the rod holder is the mount. I am totally ignorant of "warm water" fishing...can't ya tell? Rolling Eyes Want to hear something else really funny? I have never operated a boat (other than my little duck hunting jon-boat/blind...no motor) in fresh water!

You're bang on about the seller...have nothing but good things to say about him. Very nice guy.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Luhrs was set up the similarly when I bought it, Rick. Previous owner's obsession was marlin and albacore tuna. Your boat's been out 60 miles many times, I suspect. Well prepared boat.

One of my next projects is to convert that port lazarette to a bait tank like yours. Also solves the "Leaking Lazarette" problem. Cool

I'm just the opposite. I can count the number of times we've boated in fresh water on one hand. Looking very much forward to the day we can break loose and hit Lake Powell, Lake of the Ozarks, and some of the great river/lake boating available around the US. Heck, I'd be happy just to boat lake Shasta. Ain't much natural fresh water here, Rick. We import most of it. The rest has been recycled several times. Sad

Don
SEA HUNTER

City/Region: Sacramento ,California
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SEA HUNTER
Photos: SEA HUNTER
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: OUTRIGGERS Reply with quote

I have a set of 15 foot Taco aluminum collapsable outriggers on my boat.
I am very happy with the collaspable model for storage .They collapse down down to under a 6 foot length and store nicely in included bag.
Here is Tacos link
http://66.98.194.54/tacomarine.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi

I run 2 rods off each out rigger and 2 rods off the stern.If it is calm enough I will add 2 75 foot meat lines{hand lines} off stern cleats also.That way I can have 8 lines in the water at one time.
Outriggers are great so you can run more rods and have a bigger spread.
Lines are 38 feet apart from side to side covers a lot of water.
When you get the outriggers do not use the cotton line supplied with the outriggers,it has a habit of fraying and catching on the guides. I use 400 pound test and crimps[no tying 400#] and it works great.I got that idea from Sport Fishing Magazine.
Once you use them for tuna you will love them.

416rigby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Don, we're the same...there ain't no fresh water here except for the drizzle! I'm an ocean boater. I'll be lost on Lake Martin! Laughing Hey, I'll post some pics of the bait tank after we get settled in AL...but I'm guessing you'll probably already have yours converted by then.

Thanks for the link and info, Steve. We're really looking forward to trying something brand new to us.
Rick
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Sorry for the late reply.
It looks like you found some good info here anyway.
I didn't see outrigger mounts on your boat as I am familiar with them.
I mounted mine towards the front of the cockpit and I like them there.
You need to know what brand of mounts you have so you can match the poles. I have Tacos and I really like them.
As far as rigging halyards, I can post up a video tutorial later. For now I run mine in ceramic guides. I prefer to run roller trollers, once you start fishing these you will know why. They are well worth the $45.
As far as rigging the halyards (may be spelled wrong but oh well) it depends on the length of your poles. Mine are 15' and I only run singles. You can run doubles and fish one rod or hand line at the end (on the outside) and another about half way out.
With the rocket launcher that I designed I already have a rod facing out to the side that fishes very near where the halfway halyard would fish so I am taken care of without complicating my spread.
I fish 2 handlines, 1 off each corner. 2 rods, 1 off each corner, 2 rods off each rocket launcher corner and 2 rods on the outside off the outriggers.
When I am feeling crazy I run 2 divers off the corners under the handlines. That is a recipie for knitting the long arm of a sweater in a hurry should something unexpected crash your spread.
so lets count.... Max spread, 2 divers, 2 handlines, 2 off outriggers, 2 off the back, 2 off the side and possibly 2 off the rocket launcher for a total of 12 lines.
I gotta tell you I have a lot less trouble with 8 lines. When you have 3 aboard and 8 lines go off you have a solid understanding of the term Chinese fire drill! It sure is fun though.
Coming in with over 400# of prime Pacific Albacore Tuna never gets old. I am down to 3 measly jars and a friend of mine even gave me a case of shorts. It goes fast and it is by far my favorite fish.
I hope this helps.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
416rigby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, you fish 12 poles at once....we don't even own 12 poles! Shocked
Thanks for the good info. Sorry for taking so long to respond but we just talked to the previous owner today and got more info. I misunderstood him as we thought there were no poles but the poles do come with the boat so that is great. The system is made by precision marine hardware. The one mount is hard to see in the picture but if you zoom in, on the C-Dory logo, on the side of the cabin the mount is just above that. It looks like a rod holder. The outriggers themselves slide into those mounts. Once we pick up the boat we will get more pics. The video will be great to see. We have lots to learn!
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well technically it is only 8 rods and 4 hand lines...

Here is that video I promissed. Not sure if you have to register to see it but it is well worth it if you do...

http://wahoonbox.com/videos/sportfishermen.wmv

Be patient as it takes a while to load. It is about 12 minutes of high quality video.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Gulf O'Mexico Trolling Reply with quote

I do a little [ never enough] trolling here around the Fl Panhandle and one of the things we look for trolling in summertime is sargassum weed in patches ,or bits in the water . Much like a good kelp paddy on the west coast , but the small furry bits are very annoying as far a collecting on ones baits . My point is that 6 lines is often plenty and sometimes too much when in grassy conditions as you spend all of your time clearing and resetting lures .If the fishing is good , 6 lines should keep you busy and catching . When you come down south , I would be happy to help you set up the boat for our local conditions . I have quite a few fishing customers in FL Al. and what is probably one of the best fisheries in the U.S. ,Louisiana, and I can get you hooked up with some knowlegable folks .
Marc Grove

416rigby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ray...always good to see how things are rigged. Good info on splicing. Looks like we have a lot to figure out but it can't be that hard. The seller said he'd show us all the stuff when we pick up the boat but we're trying to learn all we can in the meantime.

Thanks, Marc, good to know some one with some local knowledge. We'll definitely make a little jaunt down your way and have a look at your shop. We're leaving Friday (4/17) for a house hunting trip and may even get a chance to drive down during that 2 week stay and say hello and have a look at the area.

BTW...just what the heck is a "hand line" anyway. We're just dumb salmon and halibut fisherpeople. Laughing

Rick & Donna
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Look forward to meeting you Reply with quote

Hey Rick and Donna , please do come visit and us . Apalachicola is a great area and the cruising and fishing are wonderful.
"Hand Lines" are lines that you troll off the back corners [ usually tied to the cleats] that are either tuna cord or can be heavy mono with an in line snubber or rubber device to reduce shock . We used to troll cedar plugs or Rapala type lures for Albacore and Yellowfin Tuna on the west coast and pacific islands .Its a great way to meat fish for sailors and cruisers .We used to just pile the line in a milk crate .You can get into a wild situation if something really big eats your lure .Sometimes we would splice a piece of chain in the line to get more trolling depth . I hope that explains it a little .
Marc
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

416rigby wrote:
Thanks, Ray...

BTW...just what the heck is a "hand line" anyway. We're just dumb salmon and halibut fisherpeople. Laughing

Rick & Donna

I'll let my Tuna mentor Pilar explain it...

1st part...
...http://www.ifish.net/Pilar/Tuna%20Gearandhandlines.html

2nd part
http://www.ifish.net/Pilar/handlines.html

I hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: