The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Removing an AFI Wiper Arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Removing an AFI Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Well I'm stumped. I have 2002/2003 AFI wipers from the factory and need to replace the rubber gasket/o-ring under the nut on the outside. I've spent way too much time over the past year trying to figure out what to push, pry or slide to get the *&$*#@%$ wiper arm off the shaft. Appreciate any help before I break the thing off. Newer models are different and easy to figure out.

Steve
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is not a clip or key on the wiper arm, it may have a cam that locks it on when it is in the down position and also in the up (away from the windshield) position. If that is the case, lift the wiper arm slightly off the galss, usually when it is straight, then pull it straight off by pulling on the part of the arm that is on the shaft, not the arm.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris P

City/Region: Palm Coast
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine there are two 2.5mm hex head set screws that lock the wiper arm to the splined shaft. They are under a cover that pivots from the wiper arm about 2 inches up from the end. Even after loosening the set screws, it was not easy to pull the arms from the shaft because of limited space and corrosion.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks a bunch for the idea, wouldn't have thought of that ever. Kinda like a combination lock. I'll try just lifting slightly and see if that works. I contacted AFI (Marineco) first last year, no one seemed to know this 'older' model.

Chris yea, that's how my newer center wiper works. A cover that lifts up and exposes the set screws, much easier to understand. Thanks.

Steve
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Did you add your center wiper yourself? If so what was involved in the project. Does it interfere with opening the center window? I've thought about adding one but thought it might make opening the window a bit tricky. I'd appreciate any thoughts you or anyone else who's added the wiper might have.
Thanks

Ron
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the plastic covers off on my wipers when I reinstalled them. Easier to adjust or remove and the cover traps moisture promoting corrosion. Also used silicone grease (Superlube) on the set screws and splines to reduce corrosion.

"Sea Skipper"
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, jumped in there with both feet AGAIN! After very careful inspection with a telescoping mirror and all, I think I found how it's held on -- a small U-shaped wire clip (less than 1/8" across). With a miniature screwdriver I was able to get under that clip (with the mirror in the other hand and head upside down) then drop the mirror and use a large, square-shafted screwdriver to try and pry the top and bottom edges. After an hour and lots of WD-40, still not budging, but I do see if it wasn't frozen by evidently salt corrosion, how it can come off.

New tactic, undo the nut holding the shaft just enough to cut the old o-ring out, buy an o-ring at Ace Hardware and slip it over the whole arm and shaft (after removing the wiper blade) and let it shrink back down around the shaft. If I ever have to remove that arm because something broke, I'll get a bit more violent with it, can't lose at that point...!

Thanks all for your help, great to have a large team working with you.

Ron, yes the center wiper works great, it rotates (lifts) up when the center window is opened, no problems. Although, there are about a million different p/n's that AFI sells, I ended up buying their new larger plastic arm assy which blocks the view slightly more than the metal -- they evidently discontinued the metal ones(??). Only tricky part was that the shaft was like 2 1/2" long (originals were much shorter, but again, couldn't seem to order them). So I had to make a spacer block on the inside to position the outer end of the shaft closer to the boat's exterior surface to avoid interference with the overhanging brow with the window in the up position. If you like, I'll take some closeups of the block installed. It really makes a large difference to have that viewable area while underway in big water/waves. Very well worth it.

Steve
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced my AFI wiper motors so many times that I am considering having a custom system built . The motor seems to hold up but the linkage to the sweep hub will wallow out the hole and fall out.

Here is the ritual I use to remove the blades. Mine have a set screw so loosen it way out then I a BIG screwdriver between the shaft that the arm is attached to and the mounting shaft to lever the arm off. At the same time you need to hold the blade away from the window. The arm needs to come off in a straight line so if you don't keep the pressure off from the blade it will tilt on the shaft. You pry with the screwdriver a little on one side then pry from the other direction and it will eventually come off.
Spray with WD-40 if they have never been removed.

Trust me you will learn the routine because the next PIA is getting them back on in the correct position. Grease the sharft with marine grease while they are off also.

sj

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for the detailed instructions, thats pretty much what I did, big screwdriver for leverage. Still didn't come off. Alternate plan worked, new o-ring now in place and sealed good. That wiper may be on its last legs, only self-parks once in awhile and has overrun for long periods if I use it continuously for a long time. The other 2 wipers are fine. Moved on to other projects.

Steve
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (Dora Jean)
Thanks for the info on the center wiper. I'll have to add it to my list of must do's.
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: