The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory / Radar / Kayak ... your thoughts please.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: C-Dory / Radar / Kayak ... your thoughts please. Reply with quote

I've been shopping for a kayak to use with Naknek. The problem is, we have radar and that messes up the topside kayak/dinghy carrying options.

I like the looks of the Advanced Elements Airframe kayak (10' 5", 34#). See it at: http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=910&boattype=Kayaks . REI has the kayaks on sale for $285.

I assembled it and tried it on the boat, and although it looks a little weird (...ok, a lot weird), it could be carried inverted over the radar if I block it up a little (radar is a couple inches higher than the kayak is deep - if that makes any sense).

Issue: The Advances Elements kayak has a 3/4" wide aluminum frame in the bow and stern to help maintain the kayak shape. To what extent will that aluminum strip conflict with the radar? (...would it be like trying to use aluminum foil in a microwave?)

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Casey -- you might have a 'target' two inches ahead and two inches astern -- neat!! Should raise a few goosebumps every time you turn on the radar!
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, you might consider one of the various folding kayaks, which pack down into duffels, and have more room and more performance (at a price, unfortunately) than the unit you have in mind. Best values are probably the Folbot Aleut or Yukon, both made in USA products. Here's Folbot's Aleut: http://www.folbot.com/aleut.html Package includes paddles, flotation, etc.

I own a couple of their boats and can vouch for their durability and ease of assembly.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey-

First of all, the metal will reflect back and scatter some of the transmission waves, which is not good.

The tube is so close that the reflected waves directly off of it won't register on your screen.

Nonethless, the tube will interfere with the overall broadcasting and recieving of the waves, scattering some of the transmission and also blocking some of the return.

Best analogy I can think of is its kind of like looking through binoculars and putting up a finger down the looking path just far enough to mess up the view, but not really blind you!

Maybe Dusty ("MR. RADAR") can shed more light on this subject?

Passing thought: Could the aluminum tube be removed and replaced with fiberglass which is largely transparent to radar?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw Joe, I doubt that a 3/4" aluminum tube is gonna cause much scatter or degradation unless it's very close to the middle of the vertical beamwidth. It certainly wouldn't affect the radar receiver itself because the gate isn't even open for return signals that close. Oh maybe they won't see birds working over fish, but any target close enough to be even remotely bothersome or dangerous to a C-Dory is gonna be well painted by the radar.

As far as the radar somehow heating the tubing (foil in a microwave) no way. Just remember, it's the average power that heats things up and the average power is what? Maybe 30 watts tops? Even that is a generous guesstimate. It wouldn't even melt the margarine on Joe's bagel. Wink

Don
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a kayak that goes in a duffle and has no metal in it try the KC330 by seyvlor. We have one and its great at a good price. Ours is the two man style and was really stable to get in and out of.I could lift it with one hand out of the water and put it on the roof by my self. I think I paid $250 for it at west marine, but i do not see it in there new catalog.

I would post a pic but it will not uploadforsome reason.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...and although it looks a little weird (...ok, a lot weird)...

We still don't have any rules here, but if we did, one of them would be that anytime someone says something like that they gotta show pictures!

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to vote for new rules, I will second that one.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see an issue with the kayak, even a rigid hull made of fiberglass or poly. The main thing to worry about might be energy reflected toward your GPS sensor by the metal in the strip. The GPS doesn't have a range gate so any increase in RF energy could result in some problems in the GPS.

My radar is located on top of an arch and the kayaks go under.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again ... thanks for the feedback.

Thinking about it last night, this whole deal just didn't seem right. I was envisioning too many ways to make-it-work, and it still didn't seem quiet right. I'm thinking the inflatable kayak goes back to REI tomorrow.

Now the only thing to keep me awake at night will be my anxiousness at going to Powell in a couple weeks! (...is anxiousness a word?)

AstoriaDave: I'm well acquainted with Folbots. Have owned three over the past thirty years (god...has it been THAT long??). Great boats. Currently have a 17' Greenland - sort of like an aircraft carrier with paddles. At Katmai they were known as a poor-man's Klepper.

Tyboo: No pic's of half-baked ideas. Will only upload pic's of things that are screwed-up when fully completed, and I need counsel on how to unscrew the project. Don't do Rules on my account!

Thanks again.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Does your canoe get wet? It looks like some of the inflatables that are self bailing will get wet in the bottom. Is this one self bailing?
We are looking at something like this. We want something that will maneuver easily through the water, hold a 40 lb dog and be safe for kids.

Thanks,
Julie
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While RV'ing, we carried a Sea Eagle dinghy (the SE9) in one of our storage compartments and though it has a poor reputation with people who have never owned one, owners swear by them. We never had a problem with it and if we needed a dinghy for the Jenny B, I'd probably be tempted to get the smaller SE-6 and just keep it in a small duffel bag. No motor so it won't have to be registered, no high price tag to worry about theft, and big enough for two if they're friendly. Even a dog if it ain't a lab or one of Sea Wolf Joe's monster beasts.

Don
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff & Julie,
I have a 14ft Soar Inflatable Canoe that I'm now using as a dinghy. Its easily carries two people and two dogs, paddles reasonably well. And I can inflate it in/across the cockpit of my CD25. They are not cheap, about $1400 real dollars (US) but they are very well built and probably last as long as the person using it. I carry it on the roof under our tall radar arch. At 68lbs it not the lightest but because it is narrower than a regular dinghy it is somewhat easier to handle. Check it out at : www.soar1.com

Ron
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sneaks. For the price-Sea Eagle is hard to beat. In our photo album, that is a Sea Eagle up in the Yukon ect. I realalize a 12.5 footer is not what you're looking for. There's lots of different models of Sea Eagles. When we bought ours in 200l, they beat the competition by a bunch.
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff and Julie,

The canoe I have is not self bailing. Even in self bailing canoes, there is the chance of getting wet. Mine will handle the weight of two people and a dog, but it will be pretty cramped. Sportsman's Warehouse has a pretty nice two person self bailing kayak for under $600.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: