The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Time to recarpet the trailer siderails.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Time to recarpet the trailer siderails. Reply with quote

The side rails on our King trailer are really worn from numerous climbs in and out of the boat over the years. Time to "recarpet."

Seems like a straight forward job - but before I launch into it, thought I'd ask the C-Brats for thoughts/ideas.

Any recommendations on the type of carpet to use (I'm assuming some sort of indoor/outdoor...), or more importantly, any recommnendations of what NOT to use!?

I'm also thinking about using some type of rubber dock bumper material in lieu of carpet. Anybody tried that?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see West Marine sells the stuff, but it just looks like indoor/outdoor stuff...
Home Depot has the same stuff..(I think)

I just had sideboards installed on my trailer... my question is, and you might be the best to answer.... how much clearance between the boat and the boards should you have ?? when they were installed they were tight against the boat..... I think they would wear the side of the boat... I backed them off ... to give about 1/2" clearance...is this good..or should I back it off more??

Joel
SEA3PO
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have sideboards but I would think that wear would be caused with movement while traveling (not launching or retrieving as long as it's a smooth surface) and that a tighter fit would be better. If it can't move, it can't/won't wear.... I would think/hope...

There's some thoughts from someone who doesn't have any experience with the issue. Never stopped me before! Smile

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

I'd say 1/2 inch clearance is about what we have as well. Seems to work ok, but sometimes I wish there was a little tendency to center the boat when loading - but I think that's a issue topic than side rail clearance (more like the flat hull wants to wander a bit). The bow will come into the chock ok, but the stern sometimes want to wander a bit. ...still looking for a solution.

We'll be seeing you at Powell next month. Bring a couple pic's of your Beemer(s); but please don't bring a pic of a 1973 R75/5 Toaster tank, unless you want to see me cry. Long story.

Later,
Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the boat is perfectly centered, I have about 1/2" clearance on each side at the fat belly point on the Jenny B. Thumbs Up
Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got the originals on my "87 trailer! I think it's partly due to the fact that the carpet is of an I/O type that doesn't retain water and rot.

Stay away from normal carpet with a lot of jute or wool. Synthetics are better, i.e., rot less or not at all.

A dark color will absorb more heat from the sun and dry out better.

Look at the stuff sold for this purposes and buy it or the equivalent.

Use stainless staples or brads. Regular steel rusts out within a two year period in fresh water, probably a year in salt.

The wood underneath must be allowed to dry to stop it from rotting. Paint any exposed areas black to heat it up.

My rails were attached to the trailer with lag screws and the wood rotted out aroud them. Replaced them with stainless carriage bolts = end of problem.

If you have to replace the rails, use redwood heartwood or something that won't rot out quickly. Pressure treated wood might be the best.

My rails are curved to the hull form. Don't really know whether or not they're laminated up from thinner stock on a form. Replacing a curved rail might require you to build a form and lay the rails up from 1/4" strips with waterproof glue. Another wood shop project!

I have 3/4 inch clearance on each side. from 1/2 to 1 inch is probably OK. It may depend on how your side rails / guide-ons are designed. You want to be able to center the boat, but not rub off the gelcoat.

If you can get away with it, move the side clearance lights from wheel level up to the top front of the guide-on to keep them out of the water when launching. Less likely to get smacked by another trailer in the parking lot too!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
My rails are curved to the hull form. Don't really know whether or not they're laminated up from thinner stock on a form. Replacing a curved rail might require you to build a form and lay the rails up from 1/4" strips with waterproof glue. Another wood shop project! Joe.

Joe, I think you'll find your rails are curved more because you slammed them too many times while boating under the influence of Shasta water. Remember, the boat's fat belly has to get past the rear rail mounting posts and if the boards are parallel, 1/2" at the belly point translates to about 3 1/2-4" at the rear. Moon

OTOH, maybe the distance between your front mounting posts is way narrower than usual

Don
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about two inches of clearance with my side bunkers on my trailer. Couple of reason I would not adjust tighter that may be specific to my setup.

First I got rid of the lag bolts that held the side boards to the brackets and replaced with a flathead countersunk stainless 5/16 bolt. Did not counter sink the board I just wrenched the things down and they sunk into the bunker board with no problem.

Now the reason for the additional clearance. I used nylock nuts to attach to the brackets so if I want to remove sideboard with the boat on the trailer I need to get an allen wrench between the side bunker and the boat. Why would you need to remove the side boards? They get in the way when you wax the hull.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don-

Good point about how the hull's max width must go up inside the rails, which just might not be parallel.

I know the front and back widths are independently adjustable.

Will measure next time I see the trailer (stored elsewhere).

Joe.
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Trailer Siderails Reply with quote

I think 1/2" is just right. The hole idea of siderails is to help center the boat on the trailer. I have about 2" on each side and quite often I pull the boat out off center and have to float it again to correct it. Never took the time to adjust the siderails after the boats put away. Not too bright!

My problem now is the wood in my siderails in showing signs of wrought so I'll need to replace the wood as well as the carpet. I'd be interested in what type of adhesive to use to attach the carpet. Upholstery staples would rust quick.

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Dick

SOLD IT. Bought my 1990 22' C-Dory Cruiser new in Fairfield CA. Lived in Vallejo CA. Fished the bays and the Sacramento River. Towed it across country in 1995 to Maryland. Lived in Tall Timbers MD and fished the Potomac River. Towed the C-Dory to Maine in 2001. Now settled and will be fishing the rivers, bays and Atlantic. Boats Name: Hunky Dory. Yes another "Hunky Dory".
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick-

As I suggested earlier, stainless steel staples on the sides of the wood that don't face the boat seem to work.

If you want to use adhesives, resistance to extreme heat and some UV penetration would bear consideration.

Regular contact cement or Liquid Nails will work for a few years.

For a permanent fix, go to an RV dealer and get their very best urethane roof sealer, just plan on throwing away the rails with the used carpet after the carpet wears out, as you won't be getting the old carpet away from the wood without using a pneumatic muffler cutting tool!

Joe.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that my left side guide rail vibrates when towing. Not constanly but frequently. The right side does not do this. Any one else have this problem?

I just noticed the vibrating but on the way home from Desolation Sound last Sept. that rail came loose on one end while trailering. It had pulled loose from the lag screws and it was only 1 year old.

I want to adjust that side to see if I can stop it from vibrating but it is stored elsewhere for now.

Steve
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments. My side bunks are tight up against the hull, with about maybe 5-10 lbs of force. Even with that though, my hull wouldn't center very well between the wheel fenders (only 1/2" clearance each side). So picked up what I call "cheek blocks" from WM at $79 for the pair, they're 2x4's about 2 ft long. They're made to mount to the trailer's frame, but I mounted them to the built-in trailer ladder on the starboard side and the rear vertical strut of the side bunk on the port side. Positioned them low on the hull, just above the waterline. They are very stiff--they don't bend. My boat centers itself now everytime within +/- 1/2"; if high winds I have someone help hold a neutral position for the boat as I slowly pull out -- until the cheek blocks kick in.

Steve
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

Your solution sounds like a "breakthrough"!

If you could get a picture of it and post it here or in your album we'd appreciate it very much to help us visualize exactly how it works.

Thanks!

Joe.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me several attempts to even get this site to come up, might be on its LAST LEGS...

I'll get some pics Saturday and post when I'm home in the 'daylight'. CoolSmile

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: