View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Do you keep a logbook? Reply with quote

We kept a logbook for our last boat, filled with fun memories, fishing notes, guests we took fishing, etc. Do any of you keep a book? We were itching to buy something new for the new boat, and found the perfect things. Here's the new logbook for the Foggy Dew...direct from Dublin. The pen set is rosewood and also from Dublin If you have a cool book, we'd love to see it.

Rick and Donna

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013

Last edited by 416rigby on Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I keep a log book, but it's nothing fancy, something I got at Walmart I think. Yours on the other hand looks quite grand and something to keep as an heirloom.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does it look grand, but you know how to photograph it with a background that really shows it off. Great looking log book and a great job of showing it off.
Here is my log book.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Wow! That is beautiful. We were just thinking about a log book and would like to get something nice that we can keep for a long time.

Julie
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick --
Beautiful and something to treasure in the future. Our log book looks like Dave's -- been keeping a log in the computer since day 1 -- only attractive aspect is the cover photo at the beginning -- someday we'll print it out for the record.

nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did that beautiful book come from? Did you order it? My family just got back from a trip to Italy where we bought a leather bound book to keep as a journal of the trip. We all three wrote in it with our 8 year old filling the most pages by far! It really kick-started her interest in writing. Something for the boat (which we'll take on her maiden voyage this Saturday) would be great. Thanks for sharing.

Norma
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Well, you've just inspired me. We hadn't found anything that we liked for a log book so I think we may just order something off the internet. I think we are going to order just a generic book with an embossed cover. That way, we can write whatever we want and randomly add in pictures if we decide to later.
I really hadn't given much thought to getting something a little more "custom" until your post. Thanks for the idea!!

Julie
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onboard the tug I have always kept a log....hours, service,jobs, names of customers, little drawings and notes about things that need attending...but not anything social... I find myself oftern looking back into that book and smiling.... I wish I had been a bit more detailed.
I also wish I had done it with the C-Dory...and will start keeping a log...this time I will record social stuff and miles traveled...things we did etc... On cold wet days those are the things that are fun aboard ....looking back at warmer days...with friends.
Thanks for reminding me to get a book started...

Joel
SEA3PO
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sons gave me a logbook when we bought our CD-22. Since I don't have hour meters I figured it would be a good way to keep track of hours for oil changes and other maintenance. As I got into the routine of using it I found myself recording river depths, weather conditions, passenger names, wildlife seen, ocean going vessels sighted, and any number of things that happened on my cruises (165 since buying the boat in Dec 2002). More recently I have been using copied log pages (the original log has long since been retired) and inserting them in a three ring binder that also holds the technical manuals for the boat, motors and other equipment. I never have been much of a diarist or log keeper but I have surprised myself with how I've kept my 'log' up to date. From time to time I reread some of the early entries and realize the central fact of my C-Dory existence: I had absolutely no idea when I bought my boat how much I would enjoy owning it. Contrary to the old saw, the day I have to sell it will not be a good day.
Flip

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Pooch
Photos: Pooch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question has reminded me that a log was something I thought about doing however had not gotten around to. I wish we had started on our first trip, with 0 experience, we could see the progress we are making. I also like the idea of recording how we maintain things. Our next trip will be loged. Your book is beautiful.
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our log is divided into three documents all kept on a laptop or desktop. One document is a record of fact such as distance towed, nautical miles made good, hours under way, overall totals for these as well as seasonal totals.We also record weather conditions and guests in this document. Photography is a hobby so pictures are taken each outing and kept in a jpeg album titled for the date of the trip. The last record are written musing assembled as a result of interesting happenings, something new learned, or an inspiration from a trip. Together these records give a thorough review of time aboard.
Mike 'Levity'
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for all your great comments. It sure is fun to write everything down. One time we took a young girl and her Dad out fishing for her first try at halibut and she ended up being the only person on the boat to catch anything.....one after another.... Very Happy It is fun to go back and read about great days like that! Rick and I have only been married 6 years and some of our best memories we have shared on the boat....our favorite place to be. Our memories fail us sometimes...lol...and it is nice to be able to revisit those days.
We ordered this book at a place called www.shopirish.com and they personalize it for you. The company is based in the United States.
They order the books from www.obrienprinting.com. which is based in Dublin. He has many styles to choose from and not all of an Irish theme.
After ordering we had our book in less than two weeks.
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Growth - at first glance I thought I was looking at a bathroom scale, and the "logging" was the weight watcher's thing. More than several times I have detected subtle humor in your posts. But then the Rorschach
test came to mind. Our C-Dorys would make a good substitute. John

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John – I went back and looked at the photo and you are right. I can see how it can be mistaken for a bathroom scale. That is not a hardwood floor it is setting on but a 110 year old 6’ foot roll top desk. Had to take it apart (into four separate pieces) to get it into my den.

Have you ever seen the Rorschach test ink spots? I understand they keep the actual spots hidden from the public except to administer the test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: