View previous topic :: View next topic  
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Solitary sleep habits Reply with quote

Okay got your attention? A note from Sea Wolf (Joe) in another discussion prompts me to ask a question I have been thinking about.

I am frequently single handing (with my 50 lb dog). I find that during the day I store gear on the port side to balance the boat. Clothes and some gear I keep in waterproof duffles in the cuddy. Also a heavy chair, boarding ladder, etc. At night my tendency is to move stuff from the port side in general and cuddy in particular to the starboard stern and then I sleep in the cuddy on the port side. I don't really know why except it seems there is more room there without the electronics panel.

So the question - where are you most comfortable sleeping when single handing? Port, starboard or dinette?

Do you find yourself shifting weight around prior to turning in?

Getting anxious to be afloat again in Michigan.

Regards,

Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually sleep across thwart with our heads to the port side; same if I am single handing. Gives me lots of room to store stuff in the cuddy even when we are sleeping and its easier to get in and out of.

Where did all those years go?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-

Just to explain a bit- 2 reasons I sleep on the dinette:

I have pinched nerves in my back and it's a lot easier to get into the dinnette bed instead of the v-berth.

I let my Great Dane use the v-berth to rest in underway and sleep in at night (I keep it extra padded and blanketed to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks,

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make up the dinette table to sleep on. I'm 5'7" and find it very comfortable. I often wake up several times at night and I like to have a quick look around if I wake up. Especially at anchor I am always nervous about dragging and I can raise up, take a quick look around, and drift off again. Beats crawling out of the cuddy.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not For Hire said:

Quote:
So the question - where are you most comfortable sleeping when single handing? Port, starboard or dinette?

I read your post this morning and decided it needed some testing on my part. So I loaded my first mate 'Daisy Mae" and we took the boat out into Naples Bay and dropped the hook. We tossed a line into the water and proceeded to head for the V-Birth. I tried out the Port Side first, then the Starboard....then I found myself Port to Starboard....and about 3 hours later I woke up with my nose pressed aginst the Port side and my feet to Starboard. Daisy was snuggled aginst my belly.

So to summarize: Sleeping aboard the C-Dory appears to be a work in progress and anyone sleeping with you had better be as accommodating as a 6lb. Papillon or your in trouble.

More testing will be performed in the coming months and all results will be reported here.

As a PS....total catch of the day...One SeaCat...was on that line when I awaken from testing.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: