The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering Seized...won't budge!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Steering Seized...won't budge! Reply with quote

Well, we got word from the dealer yesterday that the new CatyMae's in final prep area at the factory now (should be delivered to the dealer next week), and would I bring the "other" CatyMae in to them to get ready to switch over all the stuff next week....we always put the engines down when storing it under the cover, and tilt it to one side so we can get it in as far as possible. We hooked her up to pull her around to put all the cushions and stuff back in, and the 90 won't budge. We had a seal blown out on the hydraulic steering a couple months after we got the boat...now it's all rusty where the fitting sits on the bar -- Steve's thinking the bar is pitted or something and water's in there and it's all rusted again...but this time, it's stuck good n tight. That shouldn't happen after sitting for just under 3 months, should it? I'm going to have to haul it to the dealer's with the motors down unless someone can tell me a magic way to get it turned so I can tilt it up and not run over the kicker. Gosh, if we'd known it was going to seize up, we'd have turned it the other way! Rolling Eyes

On edit...would someone kindly remove Murphy and his laws from our boating life?

Last edited by CatyMae n Steve on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think off is to spray a lot of w-d 40 in there and see if that brakes it loose. what a bummer. you may want to try and move the engine by hand and not witht he wheel, but I am just quessing not being there.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayStar steering? Pretty good chance it is the bar that slides thru the tilt tube that is stuck. Just like happens with cable steering. If so, you might be able to pop it loose by having Steve jostle the motor back and forth while you do the same with the steering wheel. That's how I unstick the mechanical steering. You can unhook the drag link (I think) and find out if it's the steering system or the sliding bar. If it is the hydraulic system, you should be able to turn the motor by hand with the drag link unhooked and put it where you want it. Or, tow with it down. Just be careful of the turn and drop going into Sportcraft.
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck WD'n and pushin and pullin....but we got it up far enough so I don't think it'll hit when I pull it down into Sportcraft...thanks Mike...that coulda been a disaster fersher. I don't know what needs to be done, but that appears to be a problem that really needs a long term remedy, not one that'll only last a month...thought that stuff was stainless! The fitting's rusted right onto the shaft, so my guess is that it ain't!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with steering seizing up has been discussed a lot before does have a long term solution - frequent use and lubrication. While other "technical" fixes are certainly possible, IMHO this one falls into the regular and expected maintenance category. That is, I and others have just gotten used to dealing with this one as maintenance problem that's part of the necessary crap that's required to keep the boat useable. If you find a better solution though, I (and I'm sure many others) would LOVE to hear it.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never lubed my hydraulic steering - what do I lube and where? Can't I assume this is something that C-Dory does when I bring it in every 100 hours? Would that be frequent enough?

rogerbum wrote:
The problem with steering seizing up has been discussed a lot before does have a long term solution - frequent use and lubrication. While other "technical" fixes are certainly possible, IMHO this one falls into the regular and expected maintenance category. That is, I and others have just gotten used to dealing with this one as maintenance problem that's part of the necessary crap that's required to keep the boat useable. If you find a better solution though, I (and I'm sure many others) would LOVE to hear it.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No luck WD'n and pushin and pullin....

Oops - I forgot the most important part. Before you had Steve do the pushin' and pullin' you should have stratecigally placed some Jelly Bellies in a spot the was unaccessible until the motor turned. Then he'd of told you to shut up and steer and the motor would have moved.

Sound like you're good to go -- I imagine your new hull will come with a new steering system?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

You're tell me there's no grease zerks back there on the steering rods connected to the motor? Those should be hit with a grease gun every now and then. The factory probably does hit those on the 100 hour service but I don't know for sure. With the frequency that YOU use your boat, every 100 hours of engine clock time is probably often enough. For others, maybe not.
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Sound like you're good to go -- I imagine your new hull will come with a new steering system?

I dunno...but I guess it would...will see next week I HOPE!!! Laughing This non-fishing life is killin me! Cry I see a couple fish've been caught at Cathlamet....is it time to go yet????!!! I've tied up more mooching rigs than I have storage for...tied up sturgeon hooks...bought plugs and switched out bitty trebles for nice sturdy siwash....I've run out of money to buy more rods and reels (finally broke down and got a fly rod and reel to try for some salmon) -- My heaviest fly rod before was 6 wt....not sturdy 'nuff for a nice springer! Tired of my whining? hehe -- offer Steve your sympathies next time ya see 'im Smile
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Caty,
I had the same problem with my 16' and the teleflex steering but have not experienced the problem with the 22' hydraulic steering. With the 16' I worked the steering wheel and then had some one else reef on the engine to free it......after that it was WD 40 and once a week I'd go out and turn the steering wheel and then never had problems. (I'd always greased the zerks frequently even before the problem presented itself).
On the 22' I also grease the zerks each time after the boat is used. Out of habit from having the problem with the 16', I go out to the shop at least once a week and sit in the helm seat and make motor noises and turn the wheel. Wink

C-Brat #16
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the frozen steering, especially on Hondas, is caused by corrosion in the tilt-tube. This tube is made from carbon steel and is not stainless. I have owned three different Hondas and all had the same problem. At every boat show I ask the Honda reps why they don't spend $10 more and put a SS tilt tube in their motors? Never get any answer that makes sense to me. The zerks near the tilt tube do not put grease in the tilt tube. The only way to lube this area is to disconnect the steering, pull the ram out, clean the tube, relube and reassemble. A real PITA on most boats.
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
The problem with the frozen steering, especially on Hondas, is caused by corrosion in the tilt-tube. This tube is made from carbon steel and is not stainless. I have owned three different Hondas and all had the same problem. At every boat show I ask the Honda reps why they don't spend $10 more and put a SS tilt tube in their motors? Never get any answer that makes sense to me. The zerks near the tilt tube do not put grease in the tilt tube. The only way to lube this area is to disconnect the steering, pull the ram out, clean the tube, relube and reassemble. A real PITA on most boats.

I'm thinkin you're zactly right...here's a pic of the lil devil
[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CatyMae&id=P3200039&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

ok, it's in the album, last page
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the one you mean...

I am not gonna talk about not havin issues with my hydrolic system, no sir.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray...I guess I just don't get how to post a pic in a thread...un-nerdy of me ain't it? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: